Windows 10: how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information

Discus and support how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Seems windows firewall is blocking windows update. I ran troubleshooting for windows update in the control panel and it reported this. So can anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J. Wu, Sep 6, 2018.

1. J. Wu Win User

how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information

Seems windows firewall is blocking windows update. I ran troubleshooting for windows update in the control panel and it reported this. So can anyone help me to add the rule, I don't know which file under which directory windows update is using while exchanging information with the server. Any help is appreciated.

:)

J. Wu, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Jeff Herr Win User

Windows Firewall issue with outbound rule

We block all outbound here for a number of good reasons beyond the scope of this issue.

We are on win10 1703. A new A/D site was added during the prior week and I found that all of the management tools for DNS,DHCP, etc failed with various errors such as access denied.

The firewall logs show that port 135 outbound was being blocked.

This is in spite of the fact that a rule is in place to allow this traffic.

I modified the rule to explicitly define the remote addresses rather than using the "Intranet" term which resulted in no behavior change.

Adding a ANY/ANY/ANY rule allows traffic.

Do we have a bug?

Jeff Herr, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 6, 2018
  4. TwuTu Win User

Windows Firewall: Doesn't show blocking rules

Hello!

Today I've blocked all connections of a program by creating a outbound rule in Windows Firewall. However, I now wish to remove it. The problem: I can't find that newly created rule anywhere in the list. The rule does take an effect, since deactivating the
    Firewall lets the program run properly. I can only see rules in the list that "allow" stuff, but not those who block things.

What I have tried so far:

- All filters set to "Show all" within the Firewall

- Created the same rule again, doesn't show up

- Created a rule that allows the program, shows up

Any solutions?

TwuTu, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information - Similar Threads - add outbound rule

2. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  3. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  4. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule: Hello,I have changed Windows Firewall to block outbound connections.I had no problem configuring outbound rules to allow classic applications accessing the internet.I have tried adding the following two rules, but it does not...
  6. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule: Hello,I have changed Windows Firewall to block outbound connections.I had no problem configuring outbound rules to allow classic applications accessing the internet.I have tried adding the following two rules, but it does not...
  7. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?: Hi guys, I've always wondered why isn't there an option to quickly add an inbound/outbound firewall rule to an application straight from the app by, say, right click menu, add instantly? Wouldn't this be a great feature to have? Why the need to go to that Windows Defender...
  9. Outbound rules still show as allowed.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outbound rules still show as allowed.: Why do all of the default (pre-defined) MS Firewall outbound rules still show as allowed when I have set outbound connections to block for the Domain, Private and Public profiles? Shouldn't setting outbound connections to block block everything in the outbound list? 162311
  10. Win10 required outbound rules for update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win10 required outbound rules for update: Dear Community, I just switched to windows 10 and I'm having problems with the firewall. I set it to block all, as a good fw should be. What processes do I need to allow for windows update and virus definitions (but nothing else) to work? Thanks in advance! 151751

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 firewall outbound rule block windows update

2. allow windows update on outbound firewall

3. how to access exchange outbound rules

4. windows update outbound rules,
  5. outbound rule block windows update,
  6. how to add windows update to outbound rules in windows