Windows 10: how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information

Discus and support how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Seems windows firewall is blocking windows update. I ran troubleshooting for windows update in the control panel and it reported this. So can anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J. Wu, Sep 6, 2018.

1. J. Wu Win User

how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information

Seems windows firewall is blocking windows update. I ran troubleshooting for windows update in the control panel and it reported this. So can anyone help me to add the rule, I don't know which file under which directory windows update is using while exchanging information with the server. Any help is appreciated.

:)

J. Wu, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Jeff Herr Win User

Windows Firewall issue with outbound rule

We block all outbound here for a number of good reasons beyond the scope of this issue.

We are on win10 1703. A new A/D site was added during the prior week and I found that all of the management tools for DNS,DHCP, etc failed with various errors such as access denied.

The firewall logs show that port 135 outbound was being blocked.

This is in spite of the fact that a rule is in place to allow this traffic.

I modified the rule to explicitly define the remote addresses rather than using the "Intranet" term which resulted in no behavior change.

Adding a ANY/ANY/ANY rule allows traffic.

Do we have a bug?

Jeff Herr, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Anup Karkal Win User
    Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 6, 2018
  4. TwuTu Win User

Windows Firewall: Doesn't show blocking rules

Hello!

Today I've blocked all connections of a program by creating a outbound rule in Windows Firewall. However, I now wish to remove it. The problem: I can't find that newly created rule anywhere in the list. The rule does take an effect, since deactivating the
    Firewall lets the program run properly. I can only see rules in the list that "allow" stuff, but not those who block things.

What I have tried so far:

- All filters set to "Show all" within the Firewall

- Created the same rule again, doesn't show up

- Created a rule that allows the program, shows up

Any solutions?

TwuTu, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. how to add a outbound rule to allow windows update to exchange information - Similar Threads - add outbound rule

2. How do I add Media information to a CD playing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I add Media information to a CD playing?: How do I add Media information to a CD playing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-media-information-to-a-cd-playing/40aff875-f56b-4bf7-9d08-eaae8c8684f4
  3. Windows firewall does not update rules

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows firewall does not update rules: I cannot understand why the internetaccess to Microsoft edge is still granted, when i have deleted firewall rules and ruled out "Block all outgoing by default" 94434
  4. How to add more information to a video file or .mp4 file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add more information to a video file or .mp4 file?: Hello there everyone. I was wondering if there is someone that could help me out if possible. Here's what I have already found out online and what I have already done. I was using the plex to organize and add information to my videos nut now I realized its not really...
  5. How to add Outlook 2010/Windows 10 new user/profile to Exchange

in Browsers and Email
    How to add Outlook 2010/Windows 10 new user/profile to Exchange: I setup and shipped a new Wndows 10 configured desktop/workstation to a professional who is replacing a failed workstation in a small office that has an existing Exchange server setup and their own website/domain [the email accounts are on the domain]. This workstation...
  6. Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?

Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?: Hello I have my firewall configured to block outbound connections that don't meet a rule. Although there are the default rules for Smartscreen still enabled, smartscreen still gives it's error message "Windows smartscreen can't be reached right now". If I enable all outbound...
  7. Windows Firewall Rules

Windows Firewall Rules: I was looking at Windows Firewall with Adv Security and noticed 11 individual but seemingly identical entries for Microsoft Solitaire Collection. The default rules were to allow all. First, why 11? And second, why all any at all? Ditto for Stick Notes, Microsoft Phone,...
  8. Windows update more information

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update more information: hey how can i tell what is the size of the update ? like in windows 7 or can i know the approximate time to finish and the downloading speed? thanks 19018
  9. Firewall rule to allow /24

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rule to allow /24: Is it possible to use this notation in a firewall rule? I am having issues with homegroup telling me the computer joined to the home group is currently unavailable even though they are set not to hibernate/sleep. If I disable the firewall(s) then try I can connect to from one...
  10. question about firewall outbound rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    question about firewall outbound rules: hi there *Smile I intend to create an outbound rule in Windows Firewall to block connections certain software might attempt to make. My question is if I can add an IP exception, like blocking all outbound connections with the exception of certain IP address where the...