Windows 10: How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a...

Discus and support How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was following the thread here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephHeili, Nov 18, 2020.

1. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a...

I was following the thread here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-add-a-program-to-open-with-menu-in-windows/9cf96860-256f-49ca-a78a-6ce20f34eb17?page=1

There is a registry fix for adding a program to the 'open with' menu, in great detail, but in the string value in the registry editor for open with, what do I add for a program that's not located on my C drive namely the location is: G:\Adobe Apps\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe

:)

JosephHeili, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

4. mngerhold Win User

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a...

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a... [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a... [​IMG]

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a...

1. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10 using the registry, but for a... - Similar Threads - Add Program Open

2. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  3. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  4. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10: Hi,I try to change the app for opening an excel file but I see the below window:How can I fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-a-program-to-open-with-menu-in-windows/405b6f6d-2611-4d36-8b8e-ff075b52b85e
  5. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10: Hi,I try to change the app for opening an excel file but I see the below window:How can I fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-a-program-to-open-with-menu-in-windows/405b6f6d-2611-4d36-8b8e-ff075b52b85e
  6. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

7. Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add a Program to Open With Drop Down Menu?: I downloaded Ruffle to be able to run Flash files if needed, and wanted to associate the .swf file type with the program. Ruffle comes as a portable .exe so I've had to set up the associations manually. I've managed to associate the file with a ProgID in the registry and...
  8. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10: I don't have office 365, but I can use office.com to access my word document. However, I also like to open my Word doc on my local disk with wordpad in case I need to do a quick update without going to the web. How can I add the wordpad app to "Open With" menu so I don't need...
  9. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10: If I right-click on a file in the explorer windows, I get an menu including the "Open with"-option. Some standard programs are listed there. If i click "Choose another app", I will find the one I need. However, the Open With menu doesn't remember it for the future - I always...
  10. How to Add a Program to "Open With" in Windows 10

How to Add a Program to "Open With" in Windows 10: Hi everybody, I use Windows 10 and would like to once Explorer.exe allows me to choose the program that I want to open the .iso files. I would like added "Open with" "VLC media player" for the .iso file in addition to programs that are already in the list. [img]...