Windows 10: How to add administrator privileges to a child account

Discus and support How to add administrator privileges to a child account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello there, So I was wondering if there is a way to use a default account/child account and give it admin privileges. Things like installing apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Micah S :, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Micah S : Win User

How to add administrator privileges to a child account

Hello there,

So I was wondering if there is a way to use a default account/child account and give it admin privileges. Things like installing apps without the password, or removing a file without needing the password. At the same time though keep some of the things like browser history, not adding other users to admin, ect. If anyone knows a possible way of doing this, or something similar, please let me know I would love to learn how How to add administrator privileges to a child account :D.

Thanks,

Micah

:)

Micah S :, Mar 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 Child Account has Adminsitrative Privileges

I have created a new user account using a new email address that was setup as a child account. I have verified the account as the adult and the account shows up in my family settings as a child account. I added this account to a pc and it displays as a
    child account with standard user privileges when logged in with the adult administrator account. However, when logged in as the child account it displays "administrator" under the user name in account settings, and it is able to change other user's settings,
    install programs, etc. - all functions that should be disabled for child/standard accounts. Can you please explain how to remove administrative privileges from the child account?

AdamWilmot, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Child Account has Adminsitrative Privileges

As noted in my original post, I have set up the child account. The issue is that after the account is setup, when logged into the child account on the pc, that account is able to make changes or even delete other user accounts - as if he is an administrator
    on the computer. He can also add new user profiles to the computer, and can even change the built-in administrator account password. Is this how child permissions are supposed to function?

The account is listed as a child account under Microsoft Family, and has only been added to the User group. However, when logged in as the child, the word "Administrator" appears under the user name in account settings; even though the account is listed
    as a Standard User.

AdamWilmot, Mar 1, 2020
  4. How to add administrator privileges to a child account

Administrator privileges

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

Step 1: If this issue is confined to all the files and folders in your computer then,

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that follow the below steps:

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the
      Run Command Dialog Box.

• Type cmd and right-click on the
      Command Prompt
      result that should appear.

• This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select
      Run as administrator

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

Step 2: If the issue is confined to particular folder or file then follow the below steps.

Use the following procedure to fix this as long as you don't reboot your machine:

• Sign-in as an administrator on your computer.

• Navigate to the folder where you're having the problem. Right-click and select
      Properties from the pop-up menu.

• Under Properties | Security tab, click the
      Advanced button, then click "Change" owner on the
      Advanced Security Settings dialog (if you are already the owner, do this step anyway!), and in the resulting dialog enter whatever you want the owner to be

• Now a new check-box appears labeled "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects"; check it.

• Also check the box at the bottom "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object."

• Make sure under the Permission entries grid that your current account has Full control (if not Edit or Add your account to be listed with foll control). Finally hit
      Apply. This may take a while.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

How to add administrator privileges to a child account

1. How to add administrator privileges to a child account - Similar Threads - add administrator privileges

2. Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges: I have Administrator account enabled and the other account on my PC set to standard. I have password prompt active for every administrator privilege. It used to work fine. Always required Administrator password for ie opening Task Manager, uninstalling apps. Now certain apps...
  3. account administrator privileges?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    account administrator privileges?: Before installing a new motherboard and upgrading to windows 11 I was co administrator of a pc account. Not now. How can I recover .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-administrator-privileges/ed399470-405d-4a34-868e-dcfd2975e0f3
  4. account administrator privileges?

account administrator privileges?: Before installing a new motherboard and upgrading to windows 11 I was co administrator of a pc account. Not now. How can I recover .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-administrator-privileges/ed399470-405d-4a34-868e-dcfd2975e0f3
  5. How do I remove or change a child account with administrator privileges? MS Family won't...

How do I remove or change a child account with administrator privileges? MS Family won't...: While going through the Windows 11 initialization process on our new Dell desktop PC, we inadvertently added a child account. Our Family Group now consists of the single child account with no other family members and no other adults. This seems to be a catch-22 because we: 1...
  6. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  7. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  8. Administrator for Child Accounts?

9. Child Account, but they are the administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Child Account, but they are the administrator: Hello, Our two children just received their own laptop computers. We have set up the Microsoft family accounts, however when the laptops are set-up, they are automatically set as the administrators. How do we go about setting up their account but as a "User" on their...
  10. Administrative account with no administrative privileges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrative account with no administrative privileges: Lead up I have been working on an issue where a user cannot open attachments from Outlook in Word. This problem is caused by Word not being able to access the Fonts folder, I need to change the privileges, no clue how it keeps getting changed. Problem I cannot change the...