Windows 10: How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

Discus and support How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jack Martin480, Mar 7, 2019.

1. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File History" backup option?

:)

Jack Martin480, Mar 7, 2019
  2. Leen76 Win User

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Mar 7, 2019
  3. ZeroWolf Win User
    File History Folders in Documents

I tried tinkering with File History and couldn't get anything to work: my issue is that I don't want to save all files within my documents folder. I only want to backup very particular files; however, after removing all of the preset folders and added
    what I wanted, I found that any folders that are housed within my documents folder don't appear in the backup options. The only time I can see them in my list is when I re-add the documents folder. If I remove the folder again and try to run the backup, there
    is an unspoken error and it just doesn't run the backup. I have numerous folders under documents that have been created by various programs and I don't want to go through each individual folder to exclude them nor have to worry about a new folder popping up
    and automatically being added to my backup prior to excluding it. Any ideas?

ZeroWolf, Mar 7, 2019
  4. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

File History not backing up OneDrive Documents folder (but correctly backing up other OneDrive folders)

I have my Documents folder and all my photos located in my OneDrive, so that they are always backed up to the cloud. I have previously successfully also used File History to back up all my user files and
    libraries (including the OneDrive folder) to a local external drive and it has worked fine for many years. However, recently I noticed that there is something strange happening with the Documents subfolder in the OneDrive folder of the File History backup
    when I went to restore a previous version of a file in OneDrive\Documents and the 'Restore personal files' view showed
    only a small number of files and folders, not the whole of the current contents of the OneDrive\Documents folder. Moreover, instead of the most recent automatic backup date showing (effectively) the current state of the OneDrive\Documents folder,
    it only showed files that had been modified since the previous automatic backup date. If I manually went backwards in time through the backups, I could see other files in my OneDrive\Documents folder that had been modified previously and were still currently
    in that folder, but for some reason were not showing in the 'Restore personal files' view of the most recent backup.

I thought something must have gotten out of sync with the File History database, so I stopped the file history service, deleted the
    %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory folder, deleted the File History backup folder from the external drive and then rebooted the PC. As expected after rebooting and going into Control Panel -> File History it showed that
    File History was off and there was no File History drive set. I then created a new File History backup to the external drive and checked that there were no 'excluded folders' set. Absolutely everything else got backed up correctly in the new backup, except
    for just the OneDrive\Documents folder, which wasn't created at all in the new backup. For example, my OneDrive\Pictures folder backup correctly had all 22.3GB of data comprising 13,067 files and 255 folders, exactly as expected.

I then modified a test file in my OneDrive\Documents folder, clicked on 'Run Now' in File History and then checked the backup. There was now a Documents folder showing in the OneDrive folder, but it contained
    just that one test file I had modified.

I tried the suggestion I had seen in a previous discussion thread about this problem of manually adding the full OneDrive\Documents path to the list of backed up folders. It was already there in the list,
    but I tried adding it anyway. It made no difference and the folder is still not being backed up.

Why isn't File History backing up all of the folders in OneDrive and selectively refusing to back up just the Documents folder?

RichardG_2010, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

1. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup - Similar Threads - add Documents folder

2. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?: My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another...
  3. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?: My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another...
  4. How to merge to File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to merge to File History backups: When I switched from one windows 10 device to another, I moved all my files across, and brought across the same backup drive. However, due to user error I ended up with a whole new File History folder on my back up drive. So my question is how do I combine the two File...
  5. Can't add folder to File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't add folder to File History: I'm in Backup options of File History 1. Press + Add folder 2. Choose a folder with Google Drive on disk J 3. Nothing happens - no errors, no logs, just nothing This problem in Feedback Hub https://aka.ms/AA8mqq8 Should I search for another backup solution on Windows 10?...
  6. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  7. file history, adding folders to backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...