Windows 10: how to add dual boot to Windows 10

Discus and support how to add dual boot to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; new around here, so hello everyone .... Just got new desktop tower with Win 10 Pro on it. Added two old drives to it, one with XP pro, and one with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by geopiet, Apr 8, 2017.

1. geopiet Win User

how to add dual boot to Windows 10

new around here, so hello everyone ....

Just got new desktop tower with Win 10 Pro on it. Added two old drives to it, one with XP pro, and one with Win 7.
    Wanted to have multi-boot option on it, like I had with the old machine, but Win 10 loads right away, w/o giving me option to choose.

I did some digging around, found the info about UEFI firmware settings (listed @ How to Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC), and started to play with it, but got stock on Secure Booting, meaning the "UEFI Firmware Settings" window opens "zoomed in", and I can't see the options menu listed on the left side ...

:)

geopiet, Apr 8, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 8, 2017
  3. windows product key

See the following:

How
    to: Upgrade a dual boot installation of Windows and Linux to Windows 10 - Part 1

As others have noted, dual booting Windows and Linux works best when you install Linux after Windows.

It might be technically possible to dual boot by installing Windows after, but you should download a copy of Grub Repair in advance or use another utility to such as EasyBCD to detect an add a boot entry for your Linux installation.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Open a command prompt (admin). Just click on the start icon, start typing the word command. Command Prompt should appear at the top of the list, right click on it, run as administrator.

Let's say your Windows 7 partition shows up as F: drive in file explorer and your Windows XP shows up at G: drive. You would run the following commands:

bcdboot F:\Windows /addlast /d
    bcdboot G:\Windows /addlast /d
    exit

The paths in red are to the alternate Windows folders that you want to add to the boot menu change the drive letters to whatever they actually are on your system.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  5. geopiet Win User
    thanks, it did the trick ...

unfortunately xp installation got corrupted somehow, so I have to dig up the the original disk to run repair, but that's different story ...

geopiet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to add dual boot to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - add dual boot

2. dual boot windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot windows 10: Hi,I have windows 10 dual boot now running with windows 7.I want to start a 3rd dual boot entry. This will be a clean install of windows 10 on the same computer on a different HD. So I will have 2 versions of windows 10.I then want to slowly migrate to this new clean install....
  3. Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint: System: 2 internal SATA hard drives Windows 10 Home 1909 on HD0 / Windows 7 on HD1 BIOS/MBR boot (boot order CD, HD0, USB, HD1) OS installs on dedicated partitions bootloader on HD0 (Win10) I want to install Linux Mint to HD1 to replace Windows 7. Basic steps AFAIK: create...
  4. Have Windows 10 want to add Windows 7 in dual boot

Have Windows 10 want to add Windows 7 in dual boot: I have a Windows 10 computer, but want to create a dual boot with Windows 7 so I can play some of my older games that won't run in10. I've tried compatibility mode but didn't help. I know that 10 has some idiosyncrasies I will need to work around so looking for info. I have...
  5. How to add Windows Dual Boot with Ubuntu 16.04 already installed?

How to add Windows Dual Boot with Ubuntu 16.04 already installed?: I have a Dell Precision 7530, and my computer already has Ubuntu 16.04 properly installed and configured. It also has Windows installed, and I am able to access the product key. When I try to access Windows Boot manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1, however, I get the BSOD everytime...
  6. How to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP

How to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP: Hello How do i dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-windows-xp/ca49de03-55b4-4e2c-85a3-c06fa5be1550
  7. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP: Hello, can someone tell me how to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows XP ? or if you can provide a link with the complete tutorial. At this moment on computer windows 10 is installed, but this is not a problem. Because I can format hard drive, and if needed i can install...
  8. add linux dual boot to w10 system

add linux dual boot to w10 system: New Laptop with W10 installed. Want to add dual boot Ubuntu. Ubuntu install looks good, but when restart,goes direct to W; no choice. Suspect WW Master Boot process since unix /var/log/syslog shows no sign of choice build and lots of Window master boot process. Need to...
  9. How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?: Hi I want to dual boot ubuntu with windows. It seems i need to unlock some settings in windows 10 to dual boot ubuntu. What settings do i need to unlock? After installation, i always want windows to boot by default, i don't choose option. Not linux....
  10. How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10

How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10: Here are the things that should be taken into consideration: Windows 10 currently installed UEFI (Legacy/BIOS is supported but I do not prefer using it as it may cause more problems in the future) 1 Hard Disk Drive Goals: Install Windows 7 on another partition Maintain...