Windows 10: How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry?

Discus and support How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Windows application that I need to run with an argument (i.e. switch / parameter) after its executable name. How can I run such an application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Flummox, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Flummox Win User

How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry?

I have a Windows application that I need to run with an argument (i.e. switch / parameter) after its executable name. How can I run such an application from the Open With menu complete with it's argument?

For example: run app.exe /parameters instead of just app.exe

I've tried editing the relevant .exe entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx but it made no difference (the app still opened in its default state and ignored the added switch).

To be clear, I am talking only about Open With sub-menu entries, I'm not talking about how to add or edit an entry to the top-level context menu of a file type.

:)

Flummox, Jan 2, 2021
  2. ryanly Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Current /? (-?) or / help (-help) parameter is invalid

ryanly, Jan 2, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Entries in Registry

I think this could be related to a compatibility mode being applied to these programs.

E.g.
    windows registry - Get "SIGN.MEDIA"-Id for compatibility-mode in Windows7 - Super User

You will find more if you do the search suggested above.

E.g. your question was asked here:
    Lots of dead EXE files listed in registry Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

Is the path similar to this?
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1412963132-789858852-2145561432-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

dalchina, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry? :)

Naki, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

1. How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry? - Similar Threads - add exe parameter

2. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  3. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  4. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  5. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  6. How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add .exe parameter / argument to an 'Open With' Registry entry?: I have a Windows application that I need to run with an argument (i.e. switch / parameter) after its executable name. How can I run such an application from the Open With menu complete with it's argument? For example: run app.exe /parameters instead of just app.exe I've...
  7. Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open: I recently changed the wrong value in the registry editor by accident, and now exe files wont open. I can't go back in to registry editor because it is an exe file. I have tried many things, like changing cmd.exe to cmd.com and opening command prompt, but nothing I do inside...
  8. "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious: I got tired of seeing an old version of Adobe Audition in my "Open With" menu for .wav files, so I tried to go to the registry to delete it. But the registry entries are really weird. Here is a screenshot of the Open With menu overlaid with regedit showing the relevant keys...
  9. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...