Windows 10: How to add Media Center to Tech Preview

Discus and support How to add Media Center to Tech Preview in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows says its not activated after adding mediacenter feature to Windows 10 using my own Windows 8 mediacenter key. Please advice Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Indianatone, Oct 2, 2014.

1. How to add Media Center to Tech Preview

Windows says its not activated after adding mediacenter feature to Windows 10 using my own Windows 8 mediacenter key. Please advice

thilkumarsen, Oct 3, 2014

2. Hi and Welcome to Ten Forums. You probably will need to call Microsoft and do a phone activation. You could always change the key to the one in this thread. Microsoft probably thinks you have the key in more than one OS.

Indianatone, Oct 3, 2014
  3. I installed media center as per the instructions and everything worked BUT now the desktop background says Windows 8.1 Pro. I guess that is a small bug. *Cool

alkaufmann, Oct 3, 2014
  4. endeavor Win User

How to add Media Center to Tech Preview

Thanks, worked for me too,

FYI, Yes and I noticed as well it changes the Desktop watermark to say Windows 8.1 but As Well look under Properties of My Computer (This PC) and here too it changes everything there to Windows 8.1 too, hmmmm, to bad it does that.

endeavor, Oct 3, 2014
  5. derekimo Win User
    I had to use phone activation after using my key as well, there was no problem activating that way.

derekimo, Oct 3, 2014
  6. Thanks for the reply. I have now activated my pc through phone activation.*Party*Party*Party

thilkumarsen, Oct 3, 2014
  7. Edwin New Member
    Anyone else get the Windows Logo on their System page after installing WMC?

How to add Media Center to Tech Preview [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 4, 2014
  8. endeavor Win User

Yes, read post 18 in this thread where I also talk about that too.

I reinstalled the OS to get rid of WMC since the OS installs so fast on an SSD anyway, perhaps when the RTM comes out and this is squared away I may put WMC back, but for now I really don't need it for what I do.
    Thanks to the OP for posting though, it was fun to play with it.

endeavor, Oct 4, 2014
  9. waltc Win User
    I did this myself, and used my original WMC key I got from Microsoft when they were giving away WMC & Win8 for $39.99 (Jan '13.) I had a spare 8.1 box lying around that I used for a Win10-TP *upgrade* install from 8.1. The first time the upgrade worked perfectly but it either removed or disabled the 8.1 WMC installation, and other than that worked perfectly except for labeling everything Windows 8.1, which I didn't like. My first attempt at doing an upgrade install right over the top of Win10TP w/8.1WMC failed--it took me all the way through the process and on the final boot hit me with an error stating that "for unknown reasons" the Win10TP upgrade had failed and the system was reverting to what I was trying to escape--the Win10TP w/8.1 WMC...*Wink

Solved it by going into Programs & Features/Turn Windows Features On or Off/ and clearing the check-box for WMC under the "Media" check box. After WMC was uninstalled, I repeated the Win10TP upgrade install *again* and this time it worked perfectly and the original Win10TP upgrade was restored.

Most likely, there'd have been no harm in leaving WMC installed, but I did notice that along with changing the Win10TP labeling to "Windows 8.1 with Media Center," the color of my log-in/out screens also reverted to what it had been under the original 8.1 installation--so I felt like there may have been other things less obvious that would have changed in the TP from its default state--so that's why I got rid of WMC in the TP.

Funny thing is...I really *didn't want* WMC....! I was just curious about it and so, nerd that I am, I did what I've related above. I've been using VLC for a long time and I find it superior to WMC. Anyway, that's my experience with this experiment, for what it is worth...

In case this isn't really clear, here's what I did:

1) Installed the Win10TP over the top of an existing "8.1 with WMC" install--worked perfectly, and disabled WMC

2) Installed WMC into my upgraded Win10TP installation, which changed the labeling to "8.1 with WMC," etc., using my original Microsoft WMC key

3) Attempted a *second* upgrade right over the first, in hopes of getting rid of WMC and restoring the Win10TP to its original state--the upgrade attempt failed

4)Uninstalled WMC from the hybrid "Win10TP/8.1 with WMC" installation I had created, as related above

5) Attempted a *third* upgrade of Win10TP which succeeded, leaving me at step 1) above again...*Wink

No more such experiments...!

waltc, Oct 5, 2014
  10. Jazz Win User
    If you upgrade to ProWMC, you won't get any new builds offered.because Insider Program doesn't support SKU's ProWMC

11. Edwin New Member
    That's not good!
    That's probably why I'm getting no updates!

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  12. LittleJay Win User
    Is there anyway to remove WMC and go back to the W10 Evaluation Build without having to re-install the OS?

LittleJay, Oct 5, 2014
  13. Edwin New Member

Not sure, but I've got a whack of trouble here! Still tryin to sort it out! I'm probably going to have to do a clean install! *Sad

If you installed WMC on W10TP, it creates a folder in C:/Windows/System32 called 'ehome'. Maybe you can right click on the .exe and choose uninstall! *fingers crossed*

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  14. LittleJay Win User
    Thanks Edwin. It's worth a shot. Going through Add/Remove programs didn't do anything.

LittleJay, Oct 6, 2014
  15. Edwin New Member
    If that doesn't work, do you have an image to restore to?

Edwin, Oct 6, 2014
Thema:

1. How to add Media Center to Tech Preview - Similar Threads - add Media Center

2. Media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media center: Hi, upgraded my computer to window 10 pro but no longer able to get media center, used to play a slideshow of my best photo,s whilst listing to my music. can anyone recommend a replacement for this task. thank you regards...
  3. Portative scanner Media- Tech

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portative scanner Media- Tech: Hi, My windows 10 doesn"t recognize a portative scanner Media- Tech. What is a problem? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/portative-scanner-media-tech/8d744724-6be2-4ca6-b28c-c2c199d149c4
  4. How to install Windows Media Center?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to install Windows Media Center?: Hi im used Windows 7 for a long time and used Windows Media Center.Now im bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I don't have Media Center.Im followed the instructions on a YouTube but it didn't work.Can I get some help?...
  5. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  6. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  7. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  8. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]