Windows 10: How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

Discus and support How to add my own program to the list of Default programs? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs. [img] I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nizaury, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Nizaury Win User

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs.

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs? [​IMG]

I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is not in the list.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities] "ApplicationDescription"="AkelPad - Text Editor" "ApplicationIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0" "ApplicationName"="AkelPad" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities\FileAssociations] ".txt"="AkelPadText.txt" ".ini"="AkelPadText.ini" ".reg"="AkelPadText.reg" ".bat"="AkelPadText.bat" ".cmd"="AkelPadText.cmd" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\AkelPad\Capabilities\FileAssociations] ".txt"="AkelPadText.txt" ".ini"="AkelPadText.ini" ".reg"="AkelPadText.reg" ".bat"="AkelPadText.bat" ".cmd"="AkelPadText.cmd" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications] "AkelPad"="Software\\AkelPad\\Capabilities" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\AkelPad.exe\shell\open\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AkelPad.exe] @="C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe" "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts] "Applications\\AkelPad.exe_.txt"=dword:00000000 "Applications\\AkelPad.exe_.ini"=dword:00000000 "Applications\\AkelPad.exe_.reg"=dword:00000000 "Applications\\AkelPad.exe_.bat"=dword:00000000 "Applications\\AkelPad.exe_.cmd"=dword:00000000 "AkelPadText.txt_.txt"=dword:00000000 "AkelPadText.ini_.ini"=dword:00000000 "AkelPadText.reg_.reg"=dword:00000000 "AkelPadText.bat_.bat"=dword:00000000 "AkelPadText.cmd_.cmd"=dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.txt] @="AkelPad Document" "FriendlyTypeName"="AkelPad Document" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.txt\DefaultIcon] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.txt\shell\open\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.reg\shell\edit\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.ini] @="AkelPad Document" "FriendlyTypeName"="AkelPad Document" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.ini\DefaultIcon] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.ini\shell\edit\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.reg] @="AkelPad Document" "FriendlyTypeName"="AkelPad Document" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.reg\DefaultIcon] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.reg\shell\edit\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.bat] @="AkelPad Document" "FriendlyTypeName"="AkelPad Document" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.bat\DefaultIcon] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.bat\shell\edit\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.cmd] @="AkelPad Document" "FriendlyTypeName"="AkelPad Document" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.cmd\DefaultIcon] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe,0\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPadText.cmd\shell\edit\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\""[/quote] Can anyone tell me how to add my own program that doesn't appear in Default programs list?

:)

Nizaury, Sep 20, 2015
  2. Y Kalina Win User

This is useless if MS insists on overriding programs you set as default (especially if your desired default program is missing from the list).

Y Kalina, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Nizaury Win User

Problem solved.

In Windows 10 to add the program to the "Defaults Programs" list, the program should have the "CompanyName" in resources.

Nizaury, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Nizaury Win User

For the experiment I installed the XnView program and with SysTracer Pro discovered the regiistry keys (strings), that were necessary for adding portable version of the XnView program to Default Programs list in Windows 10.
    The example provided below, adds portable version of the XnViewMP program to the Default Programs list in clean Windows 10, installed on virtual system.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\xnviewmp.exe\shell\open\command\] @="\"C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\XnViewMP\\xnviewmp.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\XnViewMP.bmp\DefaultIcon\] @="C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\XnViewMP\\FileIcons\\bmp.ico" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\XnViewMP.bmp\shell\open\command\] @="\"C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\XnViewMP\\xnviewmp.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications\] "XnViewMP"="Software\\XnViewMP\\Capabilities" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\XnViewMP\Capabilities\] "ApplicationDescription"="XnViewMP is a fast multi-format graphics browser, viewer, and converter. It reads more than 400 file formats." "ApplicationName"="XnViewMP for Windows" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\XnViewMP\Capabilities\FileAssociations\] ".bmp"="XnViewMP.bmp"[/quote] On the basis of this template I сreated for AkelPad - but it didn't work.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\AkelPad.exe\shell\open\command\] @="\"C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPad.txt\DefaultIcon\] @="C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\AkelPad\\FileIcons\\Icon.ico" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AkelPad.txt\shell\open\command\] @="\"C:\\Users\\\\Desktop\\AkelPad\\AkelPad.exe\" \"%1\"" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications\] "AkelPad"="Software\\AkelPad\\Capabilities" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities\] "ApplicationDescription"="AkelPad is a fast multi-format text editor." "ApplicationName"="AkelPad" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities\FileAssociations\] ".txt"="AkelPad.txt"[/quote] I wonder what could be the reason?
    Maybe addition to the list of "Default Programs" should be laid at the program level?

Nizaury, Sep 25, 2015
  5. Nizaury Win User
    Problem solved.
    In Windows 10 to add the program to the "Defaults Programs" list, the program should have the "CompanyName" in resources.

Nizaury, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to add my own program to the list of Default programs? - Similar Threads - add own program

2. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  3. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Customization
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  4. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  6. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  7. how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts: I want to learn how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts. As an exercise and to describe the steps to take, I tried to add a program called Keepass. Here are the steps I took: 1. click start/search msconfig [ATTACH] 2. click...
  8. want to uninstall program that was not listed in add remove program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    want to uninstall program that was not listed in add remove program: while I was installing and uninstalling camtasia software there was a problem that prevents me from uninstalling first the program. then remove it and when i want to setup it again, error code 350...
  9. Any way to add programs to default list?

Any way to add programs to default list?: I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my default email program and isn't listed among available choices. Is there any way to add it to the list so I can make it the...
  10. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...