Windows 10: How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu

Discus and support How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Terminal lets you open Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., in one window. If you want to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 27, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu

Windows Terminal lets you open Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., in one window. If you want to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator option in the context menu, here is how you can do that. Although you can find the Open in Windows Terminal option in the context menu by default, you can add another option to run the same app with administrator permission.

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu add-remove-elevated-windows-terminal-context-menu-3.jpg

At times, you may need to execute many commands in either Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell to perform a particular task on a Windows computer. There could be times when you need to open them side by side to get something done. Instead of opening multiple Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell windows, you can use the Windows Terminal on your Windows 10 computer.

By default, it adds an option in the right-click context menu to open a window quickly and enter your command. However, it doesn’t open with administrator privilege. On the other hand, some tasks need to be done with administrator permission or in an elevated window. That is why you can follow this tutorial to add an option to open the elevated Windows Terminal in the context menu.

We have seen how to add an expandable context menu item to open Windows Terminal in ANY Profile, now let us see how to add context menu items to run them as administrator.

As you are about to use the Registry Editor to get this change, it is highly recommended to create a System Restore point before following the steps.

Add Open Windows Terminal as administrator to Context Menu

To add or remove Open Windows Terminal as administrator to the context menu, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad on your computer.
    2. Paste the following text.
    3. Click on File > Save As.
    4. Choose a location, enter a file name with .reg extension.
    5. Select All Files from the Save as type drop-down list.
    6. Click the Save button.
    7. Double-click on the .reg file and click the Yes button twice.

To learn more about these steps, keep reading.

At first, you have to open a .reg file as it is quite a task if you want to navigate each path and create the respective Key, REG_DWORD, and String Value.

To do that, open Notepad on your computer and paste the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin] "HasLUAShield"="" "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal as administrator" "Extended"=- "SubCommands"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\001flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal Default Profile as administrator" "HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\001flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-d','\"\"\"%V\"\"\"')\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\002flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal Command Prompt as administrator" "Icon"="imageres.dll,-5324"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\002flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-p','\"\"\"Command Prompt\"\"\"','-d','\"\"\"%V\"\"\"')\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\003flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal PowerShell as administrator" "HasLUAShield"="" "Icon"="powershell.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\003flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-p','\"\"\"Windows PowerShell\"\"\"','-d','\"\"\"%1\"\"\"')\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin] "HasLUAShield"="" "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal as administrator" "Extended"=- "SubCommands"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\001flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal Default Profile as administrator" "HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\001flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-d','\"\"\"%V\"\"\"')\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\002flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal Command Prompt as administrator" "Icon"="imageres.dll,-5324"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\002flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-p','\"\"\"Command Prompt\"\"\"','-d','\"\"\"%V\"\"\"')\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\003flyout] "MUIVerb"="Open in Windows Terminal PowerShell as administrator" "HasLUAShield"="" "Icon"="powershell.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin\shell\003flyout\command] @="powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden \"Start-Process -Verb RunAs cmd.exe -ArgumentList @('/c','start wt.exe','-p','\"\"\"Windows PowerShell\"\"\"','-d','\"\"\"%V\"\"\"')\""

You can also customize the text where it says Open in Windows Terminal as administrator or Open in Windows Terminal Default Profile as administrator or Open in Windows Terminal Command Prompt as administrator or Open in Windows Terminal PowerShell as administrator.

Click on the File > Save As option > choose a location where you want to save the file > give it a name with .reg extension (for example, adminterminal.reg), choose All Files from the Save as type drop-down list, and click the Save button.

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu add-remove-elevated-windows-terminal-context-menu.png

Double-click on the .reg file and select the Yes option twice to confirm the change. Now you can find the Open in Windows Terminal as administrator option next to the Open in Windows Terminal option in the context menu.

If you wish, you could download our ready-to-use Registry file to add this context menu item.

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu add-remove-elevated-windows-terminal-context-menu-1.png

In case you want to remove the elevated Windows Terminal option, open the Registry Editor and navigate to these two paths:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenWTHereAsAdmin

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu add-remove-elevated-windows-terminal-context-menu-2.png

Right-click on OpenWTHereAsAdmin > select the Delete option and confirm the change.

That’s all!

Read: How to Remove Open in Windows Terminal from Context Menu.

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu add-remove-elevated-windows-terminal-context-menu-3.jpg
    This article How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 27, 2021

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu :(

ArmoredCavalry, May 27, 2021
  3. hooger Win User
    hooger, May 27, 2021
  4. How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu

MourningStar, May 27, 2021
Thema:

How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu

1. How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu - Similar Threads - add Open Terminal

2. "Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared: After the latest Windows Update KB5019980, the "Open In Terminal" context menu disappeared from the right click context menu even when I open it in explorer. Not only "Open In Terminal", but other programs like Powershell7, WinRAR and OneDrive also disappeared from there. How...
  3. "Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared: After the latest Windows Update KB5019980, the "Open In Terminal" context menu disappeared from the right click context menu even when I open it in explorer. Not only "Open In Terminal", but other programs like Powershell7, WinRAR and OneDrive also disappeared from there. How...
  4. Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/elo3l76n3ss81.png?width=590&format=png&auto=webp&s=bc58a0f4d14ae482e61488cf93c9129ecadee2e7 I made some regedit keys to add cmd and linux terminal (WSL) to the context menu. Tutorial: https://youtu.be/_DtOuTVTOu0 Download link:...
  5. Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items

in Windows 10 News
    Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items: Windows Terminal can let you open multiple Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., tabs in one window, and you can open it from the right-click context menu. However, as the default option opens the default startup profile, you can add an expandable menu to open any profile...
  6. How to Add or Remove Open in Windows Terminal from Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove Open in Windows Terminal from Context Menu in Windows 10: Almost a couple of years before Microsoft announced the release of several tools, services, APIs for computer geeks like us who like to tweak everything we lay our hands on. One of those things was Windows Terminal which wasn’t available for everyone then but is available...
  7. how to add seperator to context menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to add seperator to context menu?: Hi, im modifying some of the context menu items in personalize (classic) how do you add a seperator in the context menu? 112699
  8. Open Notepad as Administrator with Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open Notepad as Administrator with Context Menu?: I'm often having to edit batch files in my C: drive or my windows hosts files and forever running into access permissions issues. I've seen a few posts showing how you can make a registry style hack to add a right-click option to open a file as notepad as admin, but none...
  9. How to Add "Run as administrator" to Context Menu of MSI Files in W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Add "Run as administrator" to Context Menu of MSI Files in W10: Run as administrator - Add to MSI File Context Menu - Windows 7 Help Forums Is this still applicable for windows 10? I have not yet attempted to do this. In my Downloads folder there are right click options to Install / Repair / Uninstall the LibreOffice installation...
  10. Add or Remove Run as administrator Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Run as administrator Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Run as administrator Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Run as administrator' Context Menu in Windows 10 Some legitimate applications require a full administrator access token (elevated) to perform their functions or tasks. For...