Windows 10: How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10

Discus and support How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]It is important that you have convenient access to the most frequently used utilities while working on your computer. One of these, at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 13, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10

How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 add-settings-to-context-menu.png
    It is important that you have convenient access to the most frequently used utilities while working on your computer. One of these, at least for me, is Windows Settings. They serve a plethora of purposes and I heavily rely on them. One of the easiest ways to make them accessible is to pin them to […]

This article How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Aug 13, 2021

2. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

Hi Ramon,

In reply to your questions:

• Asus, not sure of model - 64 bit desktop system, Asus motherboard, Intel E5300 dual-core @ 2.6 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 600 Gb disk (<80% full).
    • No error messages at all.
    • None of the desktop shortcuts (icons) launch their apps, including old original shortcuts and newer ones. (In other words, all icons' context menus misbehave the same way.)
    • No changes or custom mods... off-the-shelf prebuilt system, stock Windows install. Strictly used for home office functions - no gaming or external hardware hung off the PC.
    Some additional points:

• Note that the Win-X context menu also mostly not working - none of the utilities launch from the choices on the upper 75% of the menu, only system functions (Run, Shutdown, etc.) at the bottom.
    • Also note that context menus work normally elsewhere in the system: like inside File Explorer, and inside the Start Menu.
    • Not aware of any other issues anywhere in my system. Applications run promptly and at normal speed, no unusual hangs or error pop-ups. (BTW, Windows tablet mode is OFF - I checked.)
    • Windows 10 was an upgrade directly from Windows 7.
    • At that time everything worked, including all the desktop shortcut context menus and Win-X.
    • The context menus on the desktop stopped functioning after the Anniversary update... now shortcuts only launch on double-click from mouse.
    • All additional MS updates and patches since that time have successfully installed.
    Thanks for your help.

WarrenClearfield, Aug 13, 2021
  3. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

(Windows 10 with Anniversary Update, patched up to date.) Following installation of Anniversary Update I have 2 context menu issues. When I right-click a desktop shortcut the context menu appears but Open, Run As Administrator, and Pin to Start don't work
    - e.g., the app won't launch and it won't pin to the Start Menu (but it will pin to Taskbar). On the other hand, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties do work. It doesn't matter which shortcut I try, and this all worked before the upgrade. Also the Win-X menu
    pops open, but none of those choices work either except the 4 bottom ones - Desktop, Shutdown, Run, and Search. Again, if the choice is to run a program, there may be a momentary spinner, but nothing starts up. The shortcuts only launch if I double-click,
    and the context menus seem to work from inside the Start list (including creating a tile and pinning to the Start Menu from there.

I've tried different Google searches, but none of the hits quite describe my issues. One of the postings that came close suggested running a utility called ShellExView. I disabled all 7 suspect non-MS context menus it identified, but that made no difference.
    So, can anybody help?

WarrenClearfield, Aug 13, 2021
  4. Necrofire Win User

CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 :)

Necrofire, Aug 13, 2021
Thema:

1. How to add Settings to the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 - Similar Threads - add Settings Desktop

2. How to add or remove Safe Mode to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add or remove Safe Mode to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Safe Mode in Windows 11 or Windows 10 essentially starts the operating system in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. If while in Safe Mode, you do not experience any issues, then it means that default settings and basic device drivers aren’t...
  3. How to add Printer to ‘Send to’ Desktop context menu on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Printer to ‘Send to’ Desktop context menu on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Windows users can add, remove, edit Context Menu items on Windows 11 or Windows 10 computers using Context Menu Editors. In this post, we will walk you through the steps on how to manually add Printer to ‘Send to’ Desktop Context Menu on Windows 11/10 to make printing...
  4. How to Add Troubleshooters to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add Troubleshooters to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 11: [ATTACH]The Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer by default ships with a number of built-in troubleshooters that PC users can run on a device to diagnose and automatically fix common problems for example Windows Update, Bluetooth, Network, Printer, etc. There are many ways to...
  5. How to add Restart Start Menu to Context Menu on Desktop

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Restart Start Menu to Context Menu on Desktop: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 v1903 Update introduced several new features and enhancements. One of the under the hood changes is the separation of the Start Menu from the Explorer process. It is now an independent process. This process can be seen in [...] This post How to...
  6. How to add Settings to context menu with icon

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add Settings to context menu with icon: I found a video on how to add "Settings" to my context menu. It also explained how to add an icon to "Settings" which is the same operation. I now have "Settings" on my context menu but I have tried over and over to add an icon and it isn't working. But I can't seem to add...
  7. Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows How to Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows When giving a presentation, you may want to turn on presentation mode. While presentation mode is turned on, your computer stays...
  8. Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Settings context menu in Windows 10 Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Phone, Network & Internet,...
  9. Add Accounts Settings context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Accounts Settings context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Accounts Settings context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Accounts Settings context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You need a user account to use Windows, and if you share a single PC with other people, each person should have their own...
  10. Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Set as desktop background' Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click on a .bmp, .dib, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, or .wdp...