Windows 10: how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy

Discus and support how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All, Could someone please provide some ideas. We have just upgraded a bunch of users to windows10. And we need to sign out/log off/lock screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by froydo, Jun 9, 2016.

1. froydo Win User

how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy

Hi All,

Could someone please provide some ideas.

We have just upgraded a bunch of users to windows10. And we need to sign out/log off/lock screen from time to time. But this is not obvious in the default desktop layout and these options not available in the power menu. I would like to add the sign out/log off/lock screen options in the power menu and is this possible to add in the layout as well ? And since we have a large number of users I'm thinking of using the Group Policy to do a mass deployment. I'm using Windows Server2012R2

I've been searching through the settings and policies and in the Group Policy tried enabling the "Add Logoff to the Start Menu" policy setting but that doesn't work. Tried anyway although it doesn't seem to support Windows10. Tried to do the same using the Local Policy Editor on my pc also didn't work.

Please let me know how to add sign out/log off/lock screen to all users pc on their powermenu/layout using Group Policy in the Windows Server2012. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

K.

:)

froydo, Jun 9, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

How to Add Sign Out to Start>Power Button list

click start, click on your picture you will see Lock and sign out options

if you are running windows 10 professional you can add a logoff option to the power menu using the group policy editor.

scrap that it doesn't work.

sorry, I cant find a way to achieve what you want.

Martmcd, Jun 9, 2016
  3. PamVarey Win User
    No internet access after KB3142588 and KB3140768

Problem not solved or I've got another.

Last time I logged off, I noticed it took a long time. When I later started up again, I got Window can't connect to the Group Policy Client Service. Please consult you system administrator. Then it took ages to sign out.

I turned off wifi and logged on to an administrator. I got a message re Group Policy Client Service and standard users not being able to logon. Nothing to indicate what I do with that.

I looked round control Panel. I could not see any new updates after KB3142588 and then computer got stuck.Press Alt Cntrl Del and then signed out. It took a long time. Shutdown.

What on earth is Group Policy Client Service, what was the update and how do I get out of that?

PamVarey, Jun 9, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello froydo,

I know this doesn't answer your question but Lock is already in the start menu, you find it by right clicking on your account picture.

Ctrl+ Alt + Del also works.

philc43, Jun 9, 2016
  5. froydo Win User
    Thanks philc43.
    But I'm already aware of those commands. The issue is not me , but the whole bunch of users who don't know them. Short of lots of training sessions , I was thinking of just enforcing via Group Policy so they can see those options right away once they hit the power menu or desktop layout. Any ideas there ? Thank in advance.

froydo, Jun 12, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
  7. The groups for the Quick Access menu (x-menu) are defined in %LocalAppData%l\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
    desktop.ini contains the localized names for the items.
    There are also compatibility entries in the registry for items in each group (registry find: WinX).

Unfortunately, that's as far as I ever got - sign out seems to be a global setting and not a per-user setting.

To get around all of the issues (minor grumblings) I had with sign-out, I grabbed a VB script, created a shortcut to it, assigned an icon and pinned that to my taskbar.

how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy [​IMG]

The zip folder in the download below contains 3 files;
    pwrBtn.vbs,
    pwrBtn.lnk, and
    [pwrCycle] twinui_5952.ico

You will probably have to make a shortcut that matches the locations on your machine - the one in the download has an icon reference and a target folder of D:\_setSys\taskStart

how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy [​IMG]

Executing the VBS gives you the same output as shown in Kari's post. I'm not sure if there's a LOCK in either the Alt+F4 or the VBS (easy to test with Alt+F4)

If you find more about Group Policy and winX, please let me know. Thanks.

Slartybart, Jun 12, 2016
  8. froydo Win User

Many thanks Kari,

That's awesome! I've just tried that on my pc - works great, except when I deploy to the other users I anticipate some users would just click the icon and just press enter, while thinking they are just logging off before they go home or out for lunch but instead shutting down the pc. I've tried modifying several variations of objshell.ShutdownWindows to objshell.LogoutWindows , Logoff, Signout, Signoff ,etc but none of these seem to work. Would be nice if the default is "SignOut" instead of "Update and Shutdown"

And thanks Slartybart, I was afraid that might be the issue - that Sign out is a global issue and hence no such variable for us to add there.

froydo, Jun 12, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to add sign out/log off to power menu using Group Policy - Similar Threads - add sign log

2. How to add a Windows Update group policy in the registry editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a Windows Update group policy in the registry editor: Hi,I need to configure a NoAutoUpdate setting for windows update.However WindowsUpdate policy is missing in the registry editor. My understanding is that it should be here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\but that the WindowsUpdate registry key doesn't...
  3. group policy start menu folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    group policy start menu folders: OS: windows 10GroupPolicy: Local without domain joinPath to group policy setting: User Configuration/ Administrative Templates / Start Menu and TaskbarSetting name: Remove Documents icon from Start MenuSetting value: EnabledExpectation: In the start menu the small documents...
  4. group policy start menu folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    group policy start menu folders: OS: windows 10GroupPolicy: Local without domain joinPath to group policy setting: User Configuration/ Administrative Templates / Start Menu and TaskbarSetting name: Remove Documents icon from Start MenuSetting value: EnabledExpectation: In the start menu the small documents...
  5. group policy start menu folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Tutorial problem add remove sign out to W10 start/power menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Tutorial problem add remove sign out to W10 start/power menu: Tutorial at Add or Remove Sign out Option in Windows 10 says there are two ways to do it: 2 for add and 2 for remove. Some time ago, I removed it and I am now trying to add it back in. Neither options work. I don't remember HOW I removed it either. So: method 1. Merge this...
  7. How to push out shortcuts for non default browser using group policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to push out shortcuts for non default browser using group policy: We are currently switching desktops to use Chrome as the default browser. However I still have 2 legacy websites that still need to use IE. We use Group Policy to push out shortcuts. I set up a shortcut to use IE to open the legacy site but when I push out through GP when it...
  8. How to disable add-on installation in Firefox using Group Policy

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable add-on installation in Firefox using Group Policy: [ATTACH] Firefox is a popular web browser with lots of features and add-ons. If you are an IT administrator and want to restrict Firefox add-ons or extensions fron being installed, Windows 10 offers a Group Policy setting that allows you to [...] This post How to disable...
  9. Defender turned off in group policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender turned off in group policy: defender is currently off and when i try to turn on it says its set off in group policy. I am not sure how this happened but i cant turn it on again. gpedit isnt available on my home version of windows so how did it get turned off in the first place? 66403
  10. How to sign/log out

in Windows 10 Support
    How to sign/log out: Occasionally a change made with a program requires you to log/sign out and back in before it will take effect. I use TweakUI to remove the arrows from the desktop shortcuts. (Yes, I know there are other ways.) I'm on Build 10122 and when I went to log out I couldn't find a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add logoff to power

2. add logoff to power menu

3. add logoff to power menu windows 10

4. add sign out to power menu grou policy,
  5. log off sing out gpo,
  6. pwrbtn.vbs