Windows 10: How to adjust multi monitor cursor transition

Discus and support How to adjust multi monitor cursor transition in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello ladies and gents of the forum. As the title suggest, I'd like to know how to adjust cursor behavior when transitioning between monitors. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ATMBot, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ATMBot Win User

How to adjust multi monitor cursor transition

Hello ladies and gents of the forum. As the title suggest, I'd like to know how to adjust cursor behavior when transitioning between monitors.

I'm just built my first 2 pcs, and am trying to set up monitors for them both.

pc1 has 2 1080p monitors at 24 and 27 inches. Windows seems to think they are the same size and as a result moving the cursor horizontally from one screen to another results in a change in height, which is slightly annoying.

pc2 has a 24in 1080p monitor and a 28 in 2160p one. Windows seems to the 2160p one is physically double the size and will not let my mouse onto the smaller monitor unless I transition from the bottom half of the larger one, which as one can imagine is more frustrating still.

Ideally I would like to be able to keep cursor's height in the real world when transitioning screens when possible, and when out of range have the cursor "bumped" down to the top of the smaller screen. Failing that, I'd like to at least have pc2 behave like pc1, that is to say at least allow screen transition along the entire edge of the bigger screen.

Apologies if this isn't the right topic. My thinking is that this is a personalization issue, and I was not able to find one specifically related to displays.

Further apologies if this is a "why didn't you just google bing? it" question. I did try to no avail, mostly due to not knowing what to search for.

:)

ATMBot, Jan 13, 2020

2. Brightness can not be adjusted.

Hi Sirajudeen,

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were you able to see any error message/ error code with this issue?
    • Have you tried to install all the pending updates for drivers and Windows Updates on your device?

This issue might have happened due to corrupted/ outdated drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article, try the troubleshooting steps suggested to change the brightness and check if it helps.

Adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of changing the brightness and required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Seally Win User
    Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows 10 right now (and likely previous versions as well, but I didn't have a multi-monitor setup back then).

The monitors I have are as follows:
    1. 3840x2160 (4K UHD) monitor with preferred DPI: 144 (150%)
    2. 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor with preferred DPI: 96 (100%)

Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary, all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor (doesn't matter which) has blurry text. Exceptions are the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge, along with the Taskbar/Start Menu, the Taskbar/Start Menu settings screen, the Taskbar context menu, and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours, with crispy text on both monitors (occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in, but I can mostly ignore that). The problem is, as you can probably guess, is that >99% of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps.

Here are some screenshots. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" text is what the text should look like while the Visual Studio 2015 text is an example of the text most desktop apps get. The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor.
    Attachment 48493Attachment 48494
    Note: Both of these screenshots came from the 150% DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that (144) DPI level. The 96 DPI monitor is similarly affected.

Things I've already tried:
    • Reinstall the graphics driver (this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer). Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons.
    • Reinstall Windows 10 (through Reset This PC recovery option). I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue.
    • Use the XP Explorer "fix". Merely worsens the problem.
    • Adjusting ClearType options. Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point.
    • Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor. The text obviously sharpens, but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all, only mitigated slightly.
    • Replacing the video card. I swapped this in with my older GTX 560 Ti but it's obvious the problem remains. Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though, so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause. I don't have an ATI/AMD card (that still works, at least) to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions.

Things I won't try:
    • Setting both monitors' DPI to 96. Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size.
    • Use the text resizing feature instead. I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it.

Does anyone have a multi-resolution, multi-DPI, multi-monitor setup with or without this issue? The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now, and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark.

Seally, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Kenturrac Win User

Adjust window snap speed on multi-monitor setup?

I am using a multi-monitor setup and every time I try to move a window from one monitor to the other it tries to snap it on the side of the current monitor not letting me move it over to the other monitor.

The only way to prevent that is by moving the window really fast. Is there a way to adjust the movement speed threshold so it only snaps if I move it really slow to the border of the monitor?

Kenturrac, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

1. How to adjust multi monitor cursor transition - Similar Threads - adjust multi monitor

2. Transition from Two Monitors to Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transition from Two Monitors to Laptop: In the office I use a docking station and two monitors. When I use the laptop, Word opens out of view as if the second monitor is there. I can't seem to get it back to view on the laptop. Can anyone help? Thanks....
  3. Transition from Two Monitors to Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transition from Two Monitors to Laptop: In the office I use a docking station and two monitors. When I use the laptop, Word opens out of view as if the second monitor is there. I can't seem to get it back to view on the laptop. Can anyone help? Thanks....
  4. Not-seamless Cursor Transition - Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not-seamless Cursor Transition - Multiple Monitors: I have the same issue as is described here: https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/95328-external-second-display-wrong-size.html Basically - My laptop screen is physically smaller than my secondary monitor but has higher resolution. - In the display settings layout tool,...
  5. Multi monitor freeze

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi monitor freeze: Hello I have a problem with my computer I tried so many solutions on google with contacting Microsoft support and still no fix, so I ended up here to get help as you guys helped me before in the BSOD problem. My problem my mouse pointer freeze for a split second...
  6. How to adjust monitor screen size?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to adjust monitor screen size?: Hi! I cracked my monitor on left side. Now i want to adjust monitor size. How to do that? Image: https://imgur.com/a/1bFPRMs Regards Ales
  7. Mouse cursor sticks to corners on multi monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse cursor sticks to corners on multi monitor setup: I just updated my Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 yesterday and I have 2 monitors. I'm pretty sure this is an intentional but detrimental feature rather than a bug, but whenever I try to cross my cursor from one monitor to the other and I just happen to be at the top or...
  8. How to adjust monitor brightness

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to adjust monitor brightness: Monitor is a Dell S2419H and is way to bright. I can find no way to adjust its brightness using the On Screen Display or using the Display Settings of Win 10. I'm sure there must be a way but I just can't find it. Will someone please give me a hand? Thank you. 129234
  9. Multi USB touch monitor wrong cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multi USB touch monitor wrong cursor: I have two USB touch monitor (As Primary HDMI and Secondary VGA); As every time reboot, then secondary monitor touch will be wrongly go through to at the same to primary monitor display, The main problem is after reset the tablet PC touch from control panel is work but...
  10. Multi-monitor taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi-monitor taskbar: Is there a way to duplicate the taskbar to my second monitor? Right now, there are no toolbars, notification icons, search or date/clock. thanks. 10480

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows display settings shows monitor smaller cursor transition