Windows 10: How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall

Discus and support How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]By default, the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security blocks ICMP Echo Requests (Pings) from the network. In this post, we will show you how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 30, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall

How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall Allow-Pings-through-Windows-Firewall-Windows-Defender-Firewall-user-interface.jpg
    By default, the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security blocks ICMP Echo Requests (Pings) from the network. In this post, we will show you how to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through your Windows Firewall using Command Prompt or via the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security UI. Should I enable ICMP? For many network administrators, they […]

This article How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Aug 30, 2021
  2. J&JJ Win User

Windows 10 > Fire Wall > Traffic Rules >Block ICMP (Ping) In/Out

I vpn to a unix machine and ping my IP and

10:11pm {~} =>ping 74.125.165.431

PING 74.125.165.431 (74.125.165.431) 56(84) bytes of data

64 bytes from 74.125.165.431 icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=41.8 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.165.431 icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=36.8 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.165.431 icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=39.2 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.165.431 icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=41.2 ms

.......<Ctrl> C

Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide
    systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

How do I block the ICMP requests with the Windows 10 Firewall? I am using Norton Security and have traffic rules set to Block all ICMP (Ping); Direction: In/Out, Computer: Any, Communications: Specific, Protocol: ICMP

I went through a chat session with Norton Security and they tried to get the block working, but in the end they could not get it to block the ping requests and they suggested the problem was with my ISP (Time Warner Cable) and I should contact them to resolve
    problem.

J&amp;JJ, Aug 30, 2021
  3. Chrysalis Win User
    Strange behavior Windows 10 firewall

It could be MTU/MSS negotiation, for some odd reason by default the windows firewall doesnt allow the necessary ICMP packets through.

You need to allow the following in and out on windows firewall.

ICMPv6
    Destination Unreachable
    Packet too big
    Time exceeded
    Parameter problem
    Echo request
    Type 129

Not all of those are absolutely necessary but a good idea to make diagnosing problems easier.

ICMPv4
    Packet too big
    Destination Unreachable
    Echo request
    Time exceeded
    Paramater problem

What I think is happening the ICMP packets are failing, then its falling back to TCP based negotiation so things still work but are delayed.

If you want it quick and simple just allow ICMP fully in/out, you still probably wont notice any ill affects of that.

Chrysalis, Aug 30, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Tracert or ping not working, general failure

Hi, seems the URLs in my previous post were somehow combined so clicking on this one didn't work:
    traceroute - What could cause a ping to fail if I am able to load the sites homepage in a browser? - Stack Overflow
    - I've modifed that post (cutting and pasting the text worked).

E.g.
    - so browsing might work, but not ping- different protocol. That should give you a direction for investigation.

dalchina, Aug 30, 2021
Thema:

1. How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall - Similar Threads - allow Pings ICMP

2. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  3. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  4. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ping request timed out with firewall off: Hello everyone,I have a problem when pinging my computer either from another computer in my network or from my computer using the local address of the network interfaces or the loopback address. Each Echo request performed by the ping command times out.In the following I...
  6. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ping request timed out with firewall off: Hello everyone,I have a problem when pinging my computer either from another computer in my network or from my computer using the local address of the network interfaces or the loopback address. Each Echo request performed by the ping command times out.In the following I...
  7. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?: Hello everyone I have found out, that my Router firewall has never blocked ICMP traffic. There is a lot of opinions online regarding ICMP, and whether it should be disabled or limited. So far I have found out, that it can exploited to monitor network traffic / I/O traffic...
  9. allowing a webpage through firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    allowing a webpage through firewall: I am trying to access a webpage and do not know how to allow it through either my Chrome firewall or my Bitdefender. Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings....
  10. Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.: Hello, I have several ports that need to be open for the uses of software, but the thing is, i dont know how to do through windows firewall and that ports number are TCP OR UDP? Kindly someone can help me with this? Port number is 442 443 48009 48100 48101 48102...