Windows 10: How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

Discus and support How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BretMan, Dec 22, 2019.

1. BretMan Win User

How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

Hello,

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature which will put it into sleep mode after 30 minutes of inactivity which isn't working.

I asked Inateck and they said there's no special driver for this function and it's part of the dock's circuitry. The only thing that would prevent it from going into sleep mode is if it's being accessed.

The only program I use to intentionally access connected drives is Hard Disk Sentinel, which monitors drive health. I tried turning this app off but the dock still won't sleep. The drive/s in the dock list in Windows File Explorer and Disk Manager ok. I also use Windows Defender and Firewall.

I don't see anything in Settings that shows adjustment to sleep mode for external drives.. Could Explorer, Defender or Firewall be accessing the dock? Or, is there possibly some background Windows process accessing it?

Please advise.

Thank you.

:)

BretMan, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Sanhime Win User

external hard drive sleep or spin down

I have a Thermaltake BlackX dock. It has both esata and usb2. I use the esata connection. In the past, the dock would sleep the hard drive after being idle for a while, now it does not. I have not done anything to the dock or the drive. The only thing that's different is the laptop that the dock is connected to. I had to format and reinstall Win7 in the laptop. Since summer is approaching, I would like to avoid having my hard drive running hot. Is there something in the power settings or bios or whatever that can fix this?

Sanhime, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 22, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks. - Similar Threads - allow sleep mode

2. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  3. External Hard Drive disconnects itself and reconnects after entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive disconnects itself and reconnects after entering sleep mode: After I switched hard drives the internal ones and reinstalled Windows 10, one difference I noted is that now every external hard drive I connect, if it enters sleep mode, it automatically disconnects itself and reconnects so fast that I can only hear the drive disconnect...
  4. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: The recent Windows 10 update, prior to 6-23-23, has now created multiple USB "Power Management" tabs that need to opened and the boxes "unchecked" to allow Windows 10 to sleep.Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community...
  5. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: The recent Windows 10 update, prior to 6-23-23, has now created multiple USB "Power Management" tabs that need to opened and the boxes "unchecked" to allow Windows 10 to sleep.Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community...
  6. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External Hard Drive sleeping immediately

External Hard Drive sleeping immediately: I have literally spent days on this issue and could sure use some help. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this, none of which have worked for me.I have multiple external hard disk drives that I use for photo and video editing. They power down frequently and cause...
  8. Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: Hi everyone. I found a couple of threads on this topic but they're both locked so I decided to start a new one here. The problem I had been experiencing was that my external USB hard drive would enter sleep/suspend mode after a few seconds, requiring several seconds to come...
  9. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...
  10. Hard drive dock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive dock: I have a hard drive dock and just got a new computer. What will happen if I try to put my old hard drive in to the usb hard drive dock? will it be usable or do I need to format it first? 41127