Windows 10: How To Associate app for Files With No Extension

Discus and support How To Associate app for Files With No Extension in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Win 10 v1903. I get files from an app and these files do not have an extension. I can open and read them via Notebook but I'd like to assign Notebook... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by larrymcg, Oct 12, 2019.

1. larrymcg Win User

How To Associate app for Files With No Extension

Win 10 v1903. I get files from an app and these files do not have an extension. I can open and read them via Notebook but I'd like to assign Notebook to open them when I double click the file name.

Can that be done in Win 10?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Oct 12, 2019

2. Remove (not change) file extension association

I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ??

This user was very helpful (How to UNSET/REMOVE a default app for file type).

I took the suggested steps above and it removed the association but didn't return it to "Choose a default" ... this has caused a thumbnail app to work for every file EXCEPT the ones i mistakenly associated, then did the work around on. This is affecting
    productivity as I'm working with over 1,000 files (and growing). Since 145 people said they had the same question, please Microsoft, can you answer or solve this problem? Please help. Thanks.

PaperSavvy, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 12, 2019
  4. chazcon Win User

File extension not in file association list

Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py"

I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files.

When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get the choice to set the default program to open this extension.

When I go to Settings|Choose Default Apps By File Type the .py extension is not listed.

Looking through the registry I see that there is no .py handler.

Q: What is the method to manually add a file extension and associate it with a program?

Thanks!

chazcon, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How To Associate app for Files With No Extension - Similar Threads - Associate app Files

2. Associate file extension with an App in Windows 10 10.0.11941 Build 19041

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate file extension with an App in Windows 10 10.0.11941 Build 19041: Regardless of access level e.g., Administrator or general user I'm unable to associate any of the file types with any of the applications installed on this computer. When going to "Settings", "Apps", "Default apps", "Choose default aps by file types" the listings do appear,...
  3. File App Association

File App Association: There isn't a file option for .odm in default file association by app in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-app-association/3e118cb5-61df-49e0-89ea-373fc0307092
  4. Associate file extensions to a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  5. Associate a file extension in Windows 10

Associate a file extension in Windows 10: Hey, I have just installed Endnote X9 Referencing Manager Application on my second pc.. It has created a icon for it and the program opens up and I am able to access the usual link through Word. My issue though is when I download the citation reference from my web site,...
  6. How can I associate a file extension to an app which is not listed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I associate a file extension to an app which is not listed: Background: trying to get a new Windows 10 Pro computer set up to, as closely as possible, do everything my Windows 7 one could (I'm an eternal optimist). I'm old enough to be quite conversant with BASIC programs, and have "installed" "QB64" on the new computer. I put quotes...
  7. Remove (not change) file extension association

Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  8. .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser"

in Browsers and Email
    .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser": When I click on a file with a ".url" extension I get a box pop open that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." When I go into "Choose default apps by file extension" I find that files with a ".url" extension are...
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. File extension not in file association list

File extension not in file association list: Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get...