Windows 10: How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

Discus and support How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search? in Cortana to solve the problem; I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Jaakko Susi, Feb 13, 2022.

1. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard Windows Explorer Search bar does not appear to have the basic functionality of automatically populating results as the user types in characters. The search does not engage unless you press Enter, so it searches the full string you typed and nothing before it. How do I enable the old functionality? It's much more efficient to type in partials and select the correct file from the results that appear immediately. Especially when working with images and

:)

Jaakko Susi, Feb 13, 2022

2. windows explorer search won't show any results

Windows explorer search won't show any results. I've tried the 10 step method listed in the web search. no luck.

Jim Ampulski, Feb 13, 2022
  3. Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 13, 2022
  4. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 13, 2022
Thema:

How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

1. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search? - Similar Threads - auto populate search

2. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?: I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard Windows Explorer Search bar does not appear to have the basic functionality of automatically populating results as the user types...
  3. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?: I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard Windows Explorer Search bar does not appear to have the basic functionality of automatically populating results as the user types...
  4. windows explorer search partial results

in Cortana
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  5. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  6. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  8. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...
  9. How to get out of Explorer Search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get out of Explorer Search results?: Search for something in Explorer and no matter where you click around the path stays stuck at (for example) Search results in Photos > Found folder Open a subfolder and it stays at Search results in Photos > Found folder > Subfolder Right click and open in new window...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...