Windows 10: How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts?

Discus and support How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having some trouble auto-starting my own application when Win10 starts / user logs in (auto-login enabled). I'm moving my application to a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by yesyes, Jun 12, 2020.

1. yesyes Win User

How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts?

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble auto-starting my own application when Win10 starts / user logs in (auto-login enabled).
    I'm moving my application to a new machine running Windows 10 Pro [Version 10.0.19041.329].
    Before it was running on Windows 7 and there I just copied a shortcut to the executable into the Start-Up folder in the Start menu - simples...

The application is my own C# .Net 4.5.2 app. It does not have an installer, I just copy all .exe and .dll files to a folder and run the .exe.

I have followed a few tutorials (on here and other websites) but I just can't get the app to auto-start.

Initially the app does not show up in Task Manager - Start-up (understandable as it was not installed through an installer, so Windows doesn't know about it)

I have tried copying a shortcut to the folder that opens with "shell:startup". This did not make the app auto-start, but now it was showing up in Task Manager - Start-up as Enabled.

I have also tried the "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart" setting to no avail.

I have also tried the "Register this program for restart" checkbox under Properties - Compatibility. With this enabled the app now seems to auto-start but it closes again after a second or two. It does actually seem to run for a bit as it has written some entries to its own log file. But I have no idea why it quits shortly after.

If I run the app manually, everything works fine and as expected.
    The app is configured to run as Administrator, if that makes any difference.

So the question is: What is the official / best way to make this kind of app auto-start on Windows 10? It was so easy on Win7!

:)

yesyes, Jun 12, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Preventing Recently Added apps on Start Menu from Auto Deletion

Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 seems to automatically clear so it can give room for newcomers after some period. But I want the items in the list to never get auto-deleted so when I expand the list, I can scroll through all of my installed apps over time. How can I accomplish this?

How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts? [​IMG]

Manasan3010, Jun 12, 2020
  4. How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts?

Start menu not working with .NET framework error

Hi Jankauskas,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

As per your post, Start menu not working with .NET framework error on your system and we are glad to assist you to fix the issue.

• What is the version of .NET framework on your system?

This issue may occur due to corrupt Windows system files or due to the conflict between any third party applications on your system.

I suggest you to follow these methods below to fix your issue:

Method 1:

Let's try to perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:

If that doesn’t work, I suggest you to uninstall and re-install
    .NET Framework and then check, if this fixes the issue.

Let's try to follow these steps below:

a. Type “Turn Windows Features on or off” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

b. Expand “.NET Framework ” option.

c. Un-check “.NET Framework ”.

d. Restart the computer.

Follow these steps to re-install .NET Framework :

a. Type “Turn Windows Features on or off” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

b. Expand “.NET Framework ” option.

c. Make a check mark next to “.NET Framework
    ”.

d. Restart the computer.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts?

1. How to auto-start my own .NET app when Windows starts? - Similar Threads - auto start own

2. Auto Start!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Start!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I upgraded my old secondary laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1. It is fine but Windows 8.1 and 10 are built-in fast startup. So my laptop automatically starts upon opening the lid without pressing power button. I did in Windows 7 when I hibernate anytime....
  3. Auto Start!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto Start!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I upgraded my old secondary laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1. It is fine but Windows 8.1 and 10 are built-in fast startup. So my laptop automatically starts upon opening the lid without pressing power button. I did in Windows 7 when I hibernate anytime....
  4. Auto Start!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Auto-Start apps on startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Auto-Start apps on startup: Hi, so this problem has been sticking with me for a while. I sometimes change the desktop by using Task View, with some apps still open in the earlier desktop. I forget all about those apps, and I sometimes shut the Notebook down without closing the apps on Desktop 1. Then,...
  6. Auto Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto Start: How do one get apps like web browser an email app to start automatically at Windows 10 start up? With Windows XP which I used before I just added a link to the specific app to ...\Startup in the Start Menu, but I can't find this anywhere in Windows 10....
  7. How to add an app for auto start and auto login after window startup

How to add an app for auto start and auto login after window startup: Hi , I need some im trying to setup a third party app to run after windows login startup , i need also this app to auto login since it requires credential to run , app doesn't have any option for auto run or auto login thats why i need to find a way to do it from win or...
  8. auto start

auto start: how do I keep one note and driver finder from auto starting when I turn on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/auto-start/4bc573d3-c211-4131-a308-0bd165df878a
  9. auto start

in Browsers and Email
    auto start: hi all, I believe my gmail starts automatically when I turn on my pc.....I don't want it to. How do I set it up not to start automatically. Cheers mark. 42050
  10. App auto duplicates when added to start menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    App auto duplicates when added to start menu.: I had league of legends installed, and due to bug had to reinstall it. Apparently when trying to pin newly installed games icon to start menu it duplicates (I assume old icon pins too), same thing when I try to remove it. Heres link to video I recorded if it might help...