Windows 10: How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

Discus and support How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to know if there is some registry hack or something that automatically renames files with the same name when copying or moving. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricardobohner, Dec 31, 2020.

1. How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

Hi, I would like to know if there is some registry hack or something that automatically renames files with the same name when copying or moving.

For example you have folder with a file called banana.txt and then you copy another file called banana.txt to that folder and Windows would automatically rename the second file to banana (1).txt or banana (2).txt instead of showing the substitute or skip window:

How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files m23XbPf.jpg

:)

ricardobohner, Dec 31, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Dec 31, 2020
  4. red268 Win User

How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

1. How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files - Similar Threads - automatically rename files

2. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  3. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  4. Rename multiple files to same name + number

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename multiple files to same name + number: Hello, I have a folder with a lot of files of the same type. I want to rename them all to something like name1, name2, name3, and order by date (so that name1 is the oldest) Is there a way to do it? *I don't want to use the select all and then rename option because it...
  5. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I copy files with the same name and keep both: I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I try to copy them, Windows 10 only gives me two options for files with the same name: replace or do not copy. In older versions...
  6. How to copy files with reserved names?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy files with reserved names?: I use an encryption & password protection program with an export function that creates file names containing "CON.". No problem if I just want to export and import the files, but I cannot copy the exported files. An attempt results in an invalid handle error. I assume that is...
  7. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  8. How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?: Hi , is there a way or a program to automatically rename mp3 lyrics file(.lrc) to the same name as my mp3 files? i am asking this because windows media player requires both the mp3 and lyrics to be the same name to recognize and play the lyrics. 56506
  9. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...