Windows 10: How to avoid explicit signs of BITLOCKER encryption

Discus and support How to avoid explicit signs of BITLOCKER encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Please only replies from people who have at least some knowledge of the topic. Is there any solution to create a Windows 10 Bitlocker encrypted... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wosxis, May 4, 2021.

1. wosxis Win User

How to avoid explicit signs of BITLOCKER encryption

Please only replies from people who have at least some knowledge of the topic. Is there any solution to create a Windows 10 Bitlocker encrypted installation and to remove as many indicators as possible that indicate the system is actually Bitlocker encrypted? This would be useful, for example, in case that someone who wants to access your data and sees there is a Bitlocker encrypted system in your device forces you to divulge the password. The solution isn't meant to counter forensic analysis or create full plausible deniability but at least to achieve some plausible deniability by removing clear and obvious signs of a Bitlocker encrypted system and if possible remove them all. I was thinking a solution could be by having two installations of Windows 10 on the same device, one installation is clear and the other is Bitlocker encrypted but in this case the clear signs of Bitlocker would be: - the boot manager displaying two Windows options - the Bitlocker bootloader asking for password (it would be useful to be able to store it in an external usb key) - the Windows system reserved partitions which, I'm not sure, could store Bitlocker reserved data - the clear Windows installations would show the Bitlocker encrypted partition Do you have any solution or suggestions to achieve this?

:)

wosxis, May 4, 2021
  2. wosxis Win User

Please only replies from people who have at least some knowledge of the topic.

Is there any solution to create a Windows 10 Bitlocker encrypted installation and to remove as many indicators as possible that indicate the system is actually Bitlocker encrypted?
    This would be useful, for example, in case that someone who wants to access your data and sees there is a Bitlocker encrypted system in your device forces you to divulge the password. The solution isn't meant to counter forensic analysis or create full plausible deniability but at least to achieve some plausible deniability by removing clear and obvious signs of a Bitlocker encrypted system and if possible remove them all.

I was thinking a solution could be by having two installations of Windows 10 on the same device, one installation is clear and the other is Bitlocker encrypted but in this case the clear signs of Bitlocker would be:
    - the boot manager displaying two Windows options
    - the Bitlocker bootloader asking for password (it would be useful to be able to store it in an external usb key)
    - the Windows system reserved partitions which, I'm not sure, could store Bitlocker reserved data
    - the clear Windows installations would show the Bitlocker encrypted partition

Do you have any solution or suggestions to achieve this?

wosxis, May 5, 2021
  3. sygnus21 Win User

Not quite sure I understand your question/reasoning?

I use BitLocker, and have been using it a while. Currently using it now. There are indicators a drive is BitLockered via a lock icon on the drive using BitLocker, and from the BitLocker Drive Encryption panel telling you what drives are using BitLocker.

You can also find the status using Command Prompt, or Powershell... Check BitLocker Drive Encryption Status in Windows 10

All that said, I'm not aware that this info can be hidden. Fact is, I never thought about it. Anyway, and to be clear, forensics will detect the status of a drive and whether it was encrypted or not. Some things are deeply embedded only to be found with the correct tools.

Oh, BTW, you can save a BitLocker key anywhere you want except on the drive being encrypted. That makes sense since you'd need to access the key to get into the drive. You can also have the key automatically saved to your Microsoft Account - this is the default setting if you have one.

sygnus21, May 5, 2021
  4. wosxis Win User

Obviously I'm talking about "indicators" that the system is Bitlocker encrypted when it is shutdown, there is no reason if the system in on and the wrong user has already access to it :/

wosxis, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. How to avoid explicit signs of BITLOCKER encryption - Similar Threads - avoid explicit signs

2. Bitlocker encrypted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted: I recently reseted my laptop which had windows 11 home edition but after setting it up there was this bitlocker encryption on my drive i did decrypted all the drives but one of them is not decrypting so cam anyone help me with that ?...
  3. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  4. Bitlocker encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  5. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  6. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  7. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  8. avoid signing in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    avoid signing in: I have The Latest Windows 10 Version 20H2, OS-19042-804. How can i avoid signing in on my desk top computer? it's a nuisance, as i live on my own. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avoid-signing-in/0d5e1294-38a6-4262-aaa5-1f7106f62992
  9. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...
  10. Avoiding Bitlocker Device Encryption on W10 Home

Avoiding Bitlocker Device Encryption on W10 Home: I haven't installed Windows 10 Home on my new system yet. I do not want to use Device Encryption (not to be confused with Bitlocker Drive Encryption, which isn't available on W10 Home). Not even with a "clear" key. My understanding is that Device Encryption requires the...