Windows 10: How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

Discus and support How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Sometimes applications may show a popup telling there is an update adding a link to download or to release notes. It may happen that Internet Explorer... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tfwul, Sep 28, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

Sometimes applications may show a popup telling there is an update adding a link to download or to release notes.
    It may happen that Internet Explorer is being launched, rather than my default (3rd party) browser.

I would expect Edge to be launched then, instead of IE.

Anyway, my clicking on the Internet Explorer's [X] close button, right hand top corner, initiated a Windows shut down. Entire shut down I mean, not a restart.
    There were just 2 (maybe 3) applications running, stable ones that I have been using for years.

Maybe this is a one-off case, I don't know, but I want to avoid this from happening again.

Is there a way to 'set' Windows to avoid launching IE and use either my default browser (Chrome) or built in Edge?

Thanks!

p.s. peculiar thing: the event logs do not show shut down and/or restart events, or any other 'Error'-events that may relate to an 'unexpectedly' shut down or whatever. As far as I can see in the event logs nothing special happened.

:)

tfwul, Sep 28, 2018
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer? wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

3. Mary Sau Win User
    Windows 10 internet Explorer Crashes / Freezes after most recent update

Hi,

To assist you, kindly provide us additional information.

• What update did you install?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    We suggest you to disable Internet Explorer from optional features and enable it again. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R on your keyboard, type optionalfeatures
      and hit OK.
    • Uncheck the checkbox with Internet Explorer 11 written against the box and restart your computer.
    • After restart, check the box in optionalfeatures and restart again. Then, launch IE.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Mary Sau, Sep 28, 2018
  4. How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer missing

hi I have the same issue but after trying the steps the IE still unable to launch.

please help.

thank you

Celest Koh, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

1. How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer? - Similar Threads - avoid update announcements

2. HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES?: HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES? MY COMPUTER DOESN'T SUPPORT WIN 11 AND I DON'T EVEN WANT TO INSTALL NEW UPDATES.Windows 10 pro Version 22H2Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHzRam: 16.0GBHD: 465 GBDEVICE ID: 87CF5103-D08E-47DD-B29E-4CF49B4F835APRODUCT ID:...
  3. HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES?: HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES? MY COMPUTER DOESN'T SUPPORT WIN 11 AND I DON'T EVEN WANT TO INSTALL NEW UPDATES.Windows 10 pro Version 22H2Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHzRam: 16.0GBHD: 465 GBDEVICE ID: 87CF5103-D08E-47DD-B29E-4CF49B4F835APRODUCT ID:...
  4. HOW TO AVOID UNWANTED UPDATES?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how to avoid windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to avoid windows update: how to avoid windows 11 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-avoid-windows-update/db8acb73-d90a-403f-975e-8fabe234c124
  6. how to avoid windows update

how to avoid windows update: how to avoid windows 11 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-avoid-windows-update/db8acb73-d90a-403f-975e-8fabe234c124
  7. How to avoid this ?

How to avoid this ?: I feel a need to reset my windows but don't want to loose my APPS and who knows what else: [img] 172130
  8. How to completely avoid Preview Updates?

How to completely avoid Preview Updates?: Windows update installed the following preview update while I set up everything I knew about to avoid these kinds of preview/beta updates. How can I make sure something like this does not happen in the future? Update in question: July 21, 2020 KB4562900 Cumulative...
  9. How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?

How to avoid update announcements to launch Internet Explorer?: Sometimes applications may show a popup telling there is an update adding a link to download or to release notes. It may happen that Internet Explorer is being launched, rather than my default (3rd party) browser. I would expect Edge to be launched then, instead of IE....
  10. Announcing the launch of Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing the launch of Windows Server 2016: I’m incredibly excited that this morning at our Ignite conference in Atlanta we launched the newest release of our server operating system – Windows Server 2016! Now that we’re ready to share it with the world, I want to take a moment to thank our customers who helped shape...