Windows 10: How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy?

Discus and support How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; . I have two apps (one of which is "Photos") in a folder called "Apps" on the C: drive. On the Desktop, there is one icon for each app. I don't see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OldGrantonian, Sep 1, 2017.

1. How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy?

I have two apps (one of which is "Photos") in a folder called "Apps" on the C: drive. On the Desktop, there is one icon for each app. I don't see any of these apps in Control Panel.

For a simple copy to external drive, is it sufficient to copy only:

Desktop
    C:\Apps

If I ever need to restore these, is it a simple copy in the reverse direction?

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Sep 1, 2017
  2. Lynnp60 Win User

back up to external drive

I'm trying to back up to my external drive and it's not working - why?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers.

Lynnp60, Sep 1, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    back up to external drive

I have no idea why it's not working because you forget to mention how you're backing up.

FWIW, here's how I backup. I use third-party backup software and follow these steps:

1- define what I want to backup (i.e., what folders to backup);

2- decide where to store my backups (e.g., an external hard drive);

3- choose a backup schedule (e.g., every morning at 3 AM);

4- decide how many previous backups to keep (e.g., keep the last 10 backups); and

5- save the above details as a backup job.

From that point on, the backup software does everything for me, automatically. Every now and then I check my external hard drive to ensure that the backup is working properly.

BulldogXX, Sep 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy?

it's hard to say without knowing exactly what the apps are, how they were installed, and if they are portable or not. Most apps cannot be copied and restored that way because when they are installed they may put files in different Windows and user system folders and make registry entries. Some apps, though, called portable apps, can be copied to an external drive, run from the external drive, and copied back to the hard drive.

If you want to know for sure, copy the apps to an external drive, plug that drive into another computer that has never had those apps installed, and try to run them from the external drive.

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. No, that will not work. You will either have to reinstall the app or create a mirrored backup of your system. A lot here use Macrium reflect to mirror. There is a free copy of that.

You may however back up all your important files such as photos, documents, etc. with a simple copy and paste.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is not always 100% true. Portable apps can be copied that way. And since the app in question is in a non-standard location (C:\Apps) there is actually a little bit better chance the app in question is portable.

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Of course you are correct. Didn't notice or register with me that it's C:/Apps. I was thinking C:/Programs Files.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  8. How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy?

.Thanks to NavyLCDR and HippsieGypsie for responses.

Here's some more info. The "Photos" app is a standard Microsoft app from here (actually maybe it was on my new machine):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ll-your-photos

Second app is Microsoft Killer Sudoku from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/stor...u/9wzdncrdlxl5

So, in the event of any disaster, I can simply redownload. The install is automatic and transparent (US transparent, not UK transparent - which means the exact opposite :LOL )

In both cases, the apps lose their identity after install - apart from the desktop icons, which bear their names. On closer examination of the icons, I don't think they point to C:\Apps as I said in my OP. I don't know where they point to- it's mostly hex, as for drivers (see screenshot). The two apps in C:\Apps were modified on same date - which would not be true for the two apps that I named above.

I have Macrium Reflect, but I only use that to restore my laptop to its new condition + all my installed software. That's mainly to cure the inevitable slowdown in Windows OS after several months of use. Using Macrium to restore a couple of apps seems like gross overkill. (BTW: I'm only looking ahead to possible future problems.)

So, at the moment, it seems to me that if I install any more apps, I need to record them in Evernote in order to be able to identify and redownload. That's progress for you How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy? :)

9. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome, OldGrantonian. MS Store apps (aka UWP [Universal Windows Platform] apps) are a different animal to the .exe (executable) apps, so their icon path to them is different. It actually points to what is known as a package.

You may view all of the UWP apps you have presently installed or ever have installed by opening the Store app (which in itself is a UWP app) > Click/push the 3-dot menu at the top right > Choose "My Library" > Choose "Show all" in each category. It'll show what you have and have not installed. The ones you have installed are blank. Click/push the down arrow to install one.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  10. .
    Thanks HippsieGypsie. That's all useful info *Smile

11. Tony K Win User
    Again, you're welcome. Glad to be of help. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy?

1. How to back up apps to external drive by simple copy? - Similar Threads - apps external drive

2. Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...: HiWhy does backup not copy the Onedrive documents folder to my external hard drive? It backs up Favourites, Downloads and other useless folders but will not back up my Onedrive documents folder which has all my important documents in! I have tried adding the folder to backup...
  3. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  4. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  5. Backing up to an External Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  7. Copying my External Hard Drive to OneDrive, as a secure Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying my External Hard Drive to OneDrive, as a secure Back-up: I have my PC configured to do a nightly backup of my files & folders to a Western Digital External Hard Drive. This is working very well. But in the event I have a fire in the house, and lose the PC, I lose all my personal files. So by backing up my files to OneDrive,...
  8. Backing up to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up to external drive: I use Windows backup and backup to external drive. It was getting full. Could that be why after last backup - backup size dropped from 570 GB to 380 GB? Otherwise backup seemed normal....
  9. Simple Back Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Simple Back Up: I have a single 1tb external hard drive and two Win 10 laptops - both 64bit - one is win 10 Home the other is Win 10 pro. Both have a 500gb hdd. Is it possible (and easy) to back up both laptops to the one hard drive? I need a full back up of Windows, settings,...
  10. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...