Windows 10: How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive

Discus and support How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have two laptops, both with Windows 10. I want to put File Histories from each onto one external drive. How can I be sure the two File Histories will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gordon99, Jan 27, 2020.

1. gordon99 Win User

How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive

I have two laptops, both with Windows 10. I want to put File Histories from each onto one external drive. How can I be sure the two File Histories will not merge into one? Is it a case of setting up separate partitions on the the external drive and in effect having separate drives? If so how does one go about this? Many thanks.

:)

gordon99, Jan 27, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Jan 27, 2020
  3. File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 27, 2020
  4. How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive

File History of files on external USB harddisk drive

Hi,

I have a external harddisk connected to my pc using USB. This drive contains personal files which I want to add to file history. I simply want that everytime I connect my external harddrive to my pc, that file history backs up the files on it to a location
    on the network. How do I do that?

* I have file history working for files on an internal harddrive

* I did add my external harddrive to the Documents library

* I tried adding the folder on the external harddrive using the "Add a folder" using the windows 10 settings. But the folder seems to dissappear from the list after a while.

Another detail: the disk is encrypted using DiskCryptor. Everytime I connect the drive windows says it has to be formatted. When I mount the drive by providing the key to DiskCryptor the drive becomes a valid one.

Stefan Cloudt, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive

1. How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive - Similar Threads - File Histories PCs

2. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  3. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  4. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  6. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  7. Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive. It is set to save files for 1 month, but it saves them forever. Is there a way to get it to delete anything that was saved more than a month ago? Thank You 141968
  8. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder: Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server. When I try...
  9. Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D: I have made Window 10 System Image backups of two laptops onto one external hard drive. This seemed to work OK insofar as the two backups label which PC they relate to. I also tried to do a File History backup on each laptop but I seem to have ended up with just one File...
  10. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...