Windows 10: How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Your Windows system uses the Page file (pagefile.sys) for virtual memory. It works as […] This article How to Back up, Move, or Delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 27, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10

WinClub, Oct 27, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Oct 27, 2020
  3. makwy2 Win User
    Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Howdy,

So I have a 60gb SSD with Windows 7 and Office on it (all specs are listed <--- under my username). I have a 12gb pagefile and a 9gb hiberfil, is it possible to delete those or make it so that hiberfil at the very least is no longer created? I just want a little free space on there for future use.

Thoughts?

makwy2, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Pagefile size depends on RAM, just find optimal value and stick to that.

If you use SSD and want more free space then disable System Restore. It is far more efficient than disabling hiberfil

After disabling hibernation hiberfil.sys gets deleted automatically.

Drone, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Delete PageFile

2. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  3. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  4. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. pagefile sys

pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  6. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  7. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  9. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  10. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown: I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD...