Windows 10: How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Your Windows system uses the Page file (pagefile.sys) for virtual memory. It works as […] This article How to Back up, Move, or Delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 27, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10

WinClub, Oct 27, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Oct 27, 2020
  3. makwy2 Win User
    Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Howdy,

So I have a 60gb SSD with Windows 7 and Office on it (all specs are listed <--- under my username). I have a 12gb pagefile and a 9gb hiberfil, is it possible to delete those or make it so that hiberfil at the very least is no longer created? I just want a little free space on there for future use.

Thoughts?

makwy2, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Pagefile size depends on RAM, just find optimal value and stick to that.

If you use SSD and want more free space then disable System Restore. It is far more efficient than disabling hiberfil

After disabling hibernation hiberfil.sys gets deleted automatically.

Drone, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Back up, Move, or Delete PageFile.sys on shutdown in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Delete PageFile

2. File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]: [Windows 10 - 19041.685] Hi, how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History? Eg: 1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File History. 2. I move Folder A to drive D: 3. File History doesn't keep track of the move and no longer backs up Folder A. How...
  3. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?: Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck...
  4. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart: I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0 I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch Manually set pagefile to 0 in System Performance through 'This PC' BIOS doesn't have an option for clearing RAM or pagefile upon shutdown Is there another way to...
  5. Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.

Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.: I set the pagefile from C: boot drive to another SSD. Since then when waking from sleep mode, the PC 'wakes' but the HDD led stays constant, and nothing else happens so I have to reset. Upon reset the PC boots > POST screen > UEFI logo, spinning loading icon > then blue...
  6. PageFile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  7. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  8. How to delete double copy of back up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to delete double copy of back up: I am not sure how it happened, but there are two identical back up copies on my external hard drive. I tried to delete one by right clicking on the drive, but there is no delete icon on the list. How can I accomplish that. PS these are back ups made with windows10 88090
  9. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown: I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD...
  10. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...