Windows 10: How to back-up to separate internal drive?

Discus and support How to back-up to separate internal drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a RAID 0 partition with 2 SSD drives 800GB, that I'm trying to set up backups to a separateinternal drive HDD 1TB, however, I'm having issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kammysmb, Feb 14, 2020.

1. kammysmb Win User

How to back-up to separate internal drive?

I have a RAID 0 partition with 2 SSD drives 800GB, that I'm trying to set up backups to a separateinternal drive HDD 1TB, however, I'm having issues getting the drive to show up on FileHistory.

I have tried a couple formatting options for the drive, but they do not seem to work correctly, is there a way to do this?

:)

kammysmb, Feb 14, 2020

2. How to backup Windows 10 to separate internal hard drive?

Changing the drive letter of the second internal drive was one of the first things I tried after upgrading to Win10. It did no good. The primary issue is that the BACKUP feature in Win10 does not recognize the internal drive regardless of the drive letter.

And to one of the previous posters, creating a separate partition on the drive that has Win10 installed does you no good if that drive crashes...which is what I'm trying to prevent against by using a different internal hard drive.

When I had Win7, I could save an entire system image (docs, drivers, and all) without issue. But now, there is NO ONE stepping up from Microsoft to explain why we cannot backup to a second internal drive.

TomEllerbrock, Feb 14, 2020
  3. How to backup Windows 10 to separate internal hard drive?

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience caused.

Did you try assigning a different drive letter for the internal drive and checked if the issue persists?

If not, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press enter to open disk management.

3. Right click on the internal drive and select "assign different drive letter and paths".

4. Click "change" and choose a different drive letter from the drop down list.

5. Save the changes and check the functionality.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Feb 14, 2020
  4. JimWynne Win User

How to backup Windows 10 to separate internal hard drive?

I will do a +1 to johnptd's comments, as I can also use a separate internal drive for File History. Not only is it a separate drive, it's a PATA drive on a separate controller.

JimWynne, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. How to back-up to separate internal drive? - Similar Threads - separate internal drive

2. multiple usb separate drives and going back to one separate ssd and then using in that...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    multiple usb separate drives and going back to one separate ssd and then using in that...: I had a system of usb hub with 6 separate drives disk drives and 5 ssd drives all separate. A c drives and a data drive all Sata operated directly off the mother board windows 10 professional updated. I did this for security. thinking this was a safe system. I could back...
  3. Back up failing to internal drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up failing to internal drive: My back ups have stopped working on Windows 10. I get one of the 2 error messages 1. Your file history drive is disconnected it show its there 2. 0x80070020 It wont let me stop using the drive, if I try it gives 0x80070020 again! Any ideas? Y...
  4. File History Interface Not Showing Backed Up Internal Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History Interface Not Showing Backed Up Internal Drives?: [ATTACH] I've been backing up my drives lately using File History to a new external hard drive I have, and it seems as if they're all being backed up as the space is taken up on the external drive (and the files can be found by navigating into the drive), but the File...
  5. Backing up data from 2 internal hard drives

Backing up data from 2 internal hard drives: I have two internal hard drives one for data and one for photographs and I would like to know how to back this data up to 2 separate hard drives again one for data and one for photographs. Is there anyway of doing this? I don't believe it can be done with the s/w built into...
  6. can you use internal drive as back up?

can you use internal drive as back up?: will windows 10 allow me to use a internal drive in my computer for back up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-use-internal-drive-as-back-up/db6a5a3f-e3ed-44b2-bf73-1cecfed842c3
  7. How to separate Internal and External Microphones?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to separate Internal and External Microphones?: I want to use my internal microphone as it is much clearer than my external (headphones) one but everytime I connect my headphones it switches my internal microphone to my external microphone and they do not show as separate options. My headphones also do not register as...
  8. Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?

Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?: Have not been able to do a back up for about a month now. My internal 1tb D drive is normally used for backups. I keep getting the message 'The media is write protected'. Error code 0x80070013 Today I tried it with an external 500gb drive and got the same error message....
  9. Internal drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal drive not showing up: The internal D: drive on my laptop isn't showing up anymore after downloading a game from steam and getting a disk corrupt error message every now and again. It doesn't show up on Disk Management or Command or anything. Do I just bring it to someone and get a new compatible...
  10. How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?: Hi, all: Seeing this thread, being preoccupied today with work projects, and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with dual internal drives, I must ask my next really stupid question: How do I relocate my data from "My Documents" on the 256GB...