Windows 10: How to Backup and restore Default folder views

Discus and support How to Backup and restore Default folder views in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This has been copied from a 2017 article I wrote on another forum. I'll review this thread, including any suggestions for improvement, when I get/make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Try3, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Try3 Win User

How to Backup and restore Default folder views

This has been copied from a 2017 article I wrote on another forum. I'll review this thread, including any suggestions for improvement, when I get/make the time and I will probably then suggest it as a TenForumsTutorial.

Introduction

Once you have set up the default folder views [Music, Documents, Videos, General, Pictures] for your user account on your computer, you can backup these settings so that the views you want can be restored quickly after reinstallation or after a major Windows 10 version upgrade has reset them. You can also restore them to a different user on the same computer and to a different Windows 10 computer.

The procedure

1 Set up the default folder views that you want for any or all of the folder types [Music, Documents, Videos, General, Pictures]. For each folder type -[none of this is destructive so you can play around as much as you like]
    1.01 In File explorer, find a folder of the type desired [Music, Documents, Videos, General, Pictures] or create a new folder temporarily to use in this procedure.
    1.02 In File explorer, right-click on the folder name, Properties, Customise - set this to the type desired if it is not set already [including sub-folders if relevant to the case in hand] then click on OK.
    1.03 In the bottom-right of File explorer's right-hand pane, click on the Displays information about each item icon.
    1.04 In File explorer's toolbar, select the View menu then, in its Layout section, select Details.
    1.05 In File explorer's right-hand pane, right-click on any column header then select More... at the bottom of the list.
    1.06 Choose the columns you want to see then click on OK.
    1.07 Drag column headers across each other to get them into the layout you want.
    1.08 Grab the separator lines between the columns and drag them to set the required width for each column - the default width for Name is likely to be too narrow whilst the default widths for Date modified, Size, Attributes are likely to be too wide & hence wasteful of your limited screen space.
    1.09 Sort the entries the way you want by clicking on the relevant column header. You'll see a little v symbol [descending order] or a little upturned v symbol [ascending order] appear at the top of the column you have sorted by. I can never remember which v means what so I always have to look at the entries in the folder I am working in to check they are sorted the way I want.
    1.10 Personally, I set all this up in a maximised window then I use WinKey-LeftArrow to show it occupying half the screen width so I can check that what I have set up is sensible for both these common ways of seeing File explorer windows. Even in the half-size window, I like to be able to see the Name & the Date modified columns because I find that avoids a lot of scrolling around whilst working.
    1.11 In File explorer's toolbar, View menu, [at the right-hand end] click on Options then select the View tab of the dialog that appears.
    1.12 Click on Apply to folders to set all folders of the same type to match the layout you have just designed.
    2 Run RegEdit & go to
    Code:
    • This key contains the settings for the currently logged on user.
    • From Ver 1703 onwards, you can paste that path into the RegEdit address bar rather than mess about digging down through the Registry to find the key.

3 Right-click the key and Export it in .reg format.

• This format can easily be read in Notepad so there is no particular need to do a .txt Export as well.
    • Personally, I find the layout of .reg Exports easier to read in NotePad than .txt Exports anyway. Just make sure that you have turned off NotePad's Word wrap feature as that can cause confusing displays which can lead to editing errors.

4 To restore the default folder views later on just double-click on the .reg file.

• The correct terminology is that this "merges" it rather then "runs" it.
    • There are one or two confirmations to accept and then a confirmation dialog appears to tell you it has succeeded.
    • Different logged on users & different computers can all use the same .reg file if their default folder view requirements are the same. So there is only a need to create this .reg file once.
    • Before restoring default folder views, you ought to Export the key's existing settings for that user or that computer as a temporary backup so that you can change your mind afterwards and get back to where you started. You can then delete this temporary .reg file when you can see that the changes are what you wanted.
    • To allow changes to take effect, close any open File explorer windows then reopen them.

Additional notes that might be of interest to some people

5 If you are only interested in particular items then note their GUID references below because they do not carry any explanatory label. Each entry in the Registry key is created when that default folder view is set up so if, for example, you have only ever set up General & Documents default folder views, you will only see two lines in the Registry key.Music {94D6DDCC-4A68-4175-A374-BD584A510B78}
    Documents {7D49D726-3C21-4F05-99AA-FDC2C9474656}
    Videos {5FA96407-7E77-483C-AC93-691D05850DE8}
    General {5C4F28B5-F869-4E84-8E60-F11DB97C5CC7}
    Pictures {B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239}
    6 Exporting the Registry key backs up all of them [that have been set up i.e. for which the entries exist] but you can manually edit a copy of the .reg file in Notepad if you just want to restore one of them.

7 These items are the same for other logged on users on the same computer and on different computers. So, once the items have been set up for one logged on user on one computer, the .reg file can be used to set all others that require the same settings.

• To set this up for another user, just log in as that user and use the procedure shown in paragraph 4.
    • There is no need for the target user or target computer to have set up any default folder views beforehand.
    • I have tested this on Windows 10 Home & Pro, 32 & 64 bit
    • I set up one computer's default folder views then restored its .reg file on two others. I then changed their default folder views manually in File explorer and restored again to prove that the procedure was robust enough to cope with repeated changes.

8 There is no need to restart explorer.exe [i.e. Windows itself] at any stage of this procedure.

9 I used NirSoft's RegFromApp to identify the key used.

Denis

:)

2. Tryx3 Win User

Backup and restore Default folder views

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

Once you have set up the default folder views [Music, Documents, Videos, General, Pictures] for your user account on your computer, you can backup the setting so that the views you want can be restored quickly after reinstallation or after a major
    Windows 10 version upgrade has reset them. You can also restore them to a different user on the same computer and to a different Windows 10 computer.

I have marked this as an Intermediate level task because it involves use of RegEdit to save & restore a Registry key.

Denis

Details

1 Set up the default folder views that you want for any or all of the folder types [Music,
    Documents, Videos, General, Pictures]. For each folder type -

[none of this is destructive so you can play around as much as you like]

1.01 In File explorer, find a folder of the type desired [Music,
    Documents, Videos, General, Pictures] or create a new folder temporarily to use in this procedure.

1.02 In File explorer, right-click on the folder name,
    Properties, Customise - set this to the type desired if it is not set already [including sub-folders if relevant to the case in hand] then click on
    OK.

1.03 In the bottom-right of File explorer's right-hand pane, click on the
    Displays information about each item icon.

1.04 In File explorer's toolbar, select the View
    menu then, in its Layout section, select Details.

1.05 In File explorer's right-hand pane, right-click on any column header then select
    More... at the bottom of the list.

1.06 Choose the columns you want to see then click on
    OK.

1.07 Drag column headers across each other to get them into the layout you want.

1.08 Grab the separator lines between the columns and drag them to set the required width for each column - the default width for
    Name is likely to be too narrow whilst the default widths for Date modified,
    Size, Attributes are likely to be too wide & hence wasteful of your limited screen space.

1.09 Sort the entries the way you want by clicking on the relevant column header. You'll see a little v symbol [descending order] or a little upturned v symbol [ascending order] appear at the top of the column you have sorted by.
    I can never remember which v means what so I always have to look at the entries in the folder I am working in to check they are sorted the way I want.

1.10 Personally, I set all this up in a maximised window then I use WinKey-LeftArrow to show it occupying half the screen width so I can check that what I have set up is sensible for both these common ways of seeing File explorer
    windows. Even in the half-size window, I like to be able to see the Name
    & the Date modified columns because I find that avoids a lot of scrolling around whilst working.

1.11 In File explorer's toolbar, View menu, [at the right-hand end] click on
    Options then select the View tab of the dialog that appears.

1.12 Click on Apply to folders to set all folders of the same type to match the layout you have just designed.

2 Run RegEdit as Admin & go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults

Note that,

• RegEdit always needs to be run as Admin these days so you will get an Admin challenge as you open it.
    • This key contains the settings for the currently logged on user.
    • In Ver 1703, you can paste that path into the RegEdit address bar rather than mess about digging down through the Registry to find the key.

3 Right-click the key and Export it in .reg format.

• This format can easily be read in Notepad so there is no particular need to do a .txt
      Export as well.
    • Personally, I find the layout of .reg Exports easier to read in NotePad than .txt
      Exports anyway. Just make sure that you have turned off NotePad's Word wrap feature as that can cause confusing displays which can lead to editing errors.

4 To restore the default folder views later on just double-click on the .reg file.

• The correct terminology is that this "merges" it rather then "runs" it.
    • There are one or two confirmations to accept and then a confirmation dialog appears to tell you it has succeeded.
    • Different logged on users & different computers can all use the same .reg file if their
      default folder view requirements are the same. So there is only a need to create this .reg file once.
    • Before restoring default folder views, you ought to Export
      the key's existing settings for that user or that computer as a temporary backup so that you can change your mind afterwards and get back to where you started. You can then delete this temporary .reg file when you can see that the changes are what you wanted.
    • To allow changes to take effect, close any open File explorer windows then reopen them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Additional notes that might be of interest to some people

5 If you are only interested in particular items then note their GUID references below because they do not carry any explanatory label. Each entry in the Registry key is created when that
    default folder view is set up so if, for example, you have only ever set up General & Documents
    default folder views, you will only see two lines in the Registry key.

Music {94D6DDCC-4A68-4175-A374-BD584A510B78}

Documents {7D49D726-3C21-4F05-99AA-FDC2C9474656}

Videos {5FA96407-7E77-483C-AC93-691D05850DE8}

General {5C4F28B5-F869-4E84-8E60-F11DB97C5CC7}

Pictures {B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239}

6 Exporting the Registry key backs up all 5 of them but you can manually edit a copy of the .reg file in
    Notepad if you just want to restore one of them.

7 These items are the same for other logged on users on the same computer and on different computers. So, once the items have been set up for one logged on user on one computer, the .reg file can be used to set all others that require the same settings.

• There is no need for the target user or target computer to have set up any
      default folder views
      beforehand.
    • I have tested this on Windows 10 Home & Pro, 32 & 64 bit
    • I set up one computer's default folder views then restored its .reg file on two others. I then changed their default folder views manually in File explorer and restored again to prove that the procedure was robust enough to cope with
      repeated changes.

8 There is no need to restart explorer.exe [i.e. Windows itself] at any stage of this procedure.

9 I used
    NirSoft's RegFromApp
    to identify the key used.

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Custom Folder view for new folders registery hack ?

Te new folder has default view of LIST

I want DETAILS

When making new system ... it's a pain in ass changing always.

RuskiSnajper, Oct 22, 2020
  4. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Backup and restore Default folder views - Similar Threads - Backup restore Default

2. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  3. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  6. Default Folder Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...
  7. How to change default Folder View of Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default Folder View of Search Results: Hello, After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have. Whenever I use the Search Box in the File Explorer, it almost always displays the results using the "Content" view. If I switch it to my...
  8. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of the content of your folders to how you like. This tutorial will show you how...
  9. How to make list view default for all folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list view default for all folders?: I've tried the "Apply to folders" button in the options menu, but it does not work, newly opened folders still open with "details" view... :/ Is there another way to make "list" view the default setting for all the folders? thanks for the help 73262
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521