Windows 10: How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!

Discus and support How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have enabled File History, and set it so the system will do so, while deleting the oldest versions of files as the external device is full. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StephenfromChch, Oct 5, 2018.

1. How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!

I have enabled File History, and set it so the system will do so, while deleting the oldest versions of files as the external device is full.

But when I try to look at previous versions of individual files through "Properties", it says none are available..!

What to do..?

Thanks.

:)

StephenfromChch, Oct 5, 2018

2. File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Oct 6, 2018
  3. File History backups

Hi William,

To help you with your File History backups issue, we suggest running the
    System File Checker
    with the steps found on this
    thread

Update us on the results.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Oct 6, 2018
  4. How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!

File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!

1. How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...! - Similar Threads - backup computer File

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File history doesn't seem to work: I have file history running and it says it has backed up but when I look at the files on my external hard drive, they all show as last modified about three months ago....
  4. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File history doesn't seem to work: I have file history running and it says it has backed up but when I look at the files on my external hard drive, they all show as last modified about three months ago....
  5. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How to merge to File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to merge to File History backups: When I switched from one windows 10 device to another, I moved all my files across, and brought across the same backup drive. However, due to user error I ended up with a whole new File History folder on my back up drive. So my question is how do I combine the two File...
  7. File history backup

File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. How to reconnect the File History for backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reconnect the File History for backup: I keep getting a message "my File History drive is disconnected" how do i reconnect? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reconnect-the-file-history-for-backup/de523bb7-f760-41a1-bd4e-833a3028305b"
  10. Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders

Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders: Greetings all! I've been working with my music library, and in a moment of confusion I lost a considerable part of my library. I couldn't recover from the Recycle Bin because when I deleted the files Windows informed me there were too many files and if I wanted to...