Windows 10: How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment

Discus and support How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment When a computer does not boot due to a corrupted Windows operating system rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by FreeBooter, Sep 28, 2019.

1. How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment

When a computer does not boot due to a corrupted Windows operating system rather than a hardware problem, its files remain inaccessible but intact on the hard drive.

Personal files can be recovered from the hard drive of a dead Windows from within the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

This is a good trick to learn just in case you have no access to another working computer which can be use to recover your personal files from the hard drive of a dead Windows.

You can use a external storage drive to backup your personal files stored at the hard drive of the computer with non-booting Windows.

Here is how:

1. Connect the external storage drive to the computer with non-booting Windows.

2. Insert the Windows Installation DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

3. Configured the BIOS boot device order setting to start from a CD/DVD optical drive.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment uY4awFa.png

4. If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the Windows Installation DVD.

5. Choose your language settings, and then click Next button.

6. Click “Repair your computer”.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment ZICFHd8.png

7. To access WinRE environment from Windows Vista and Windows 7 select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next button.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment jtnKtf2.png

After you click Next, the System Recovery Options menu appears.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment GvtChnM.png

8. To access WinRE from Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 click “Troubleshoot”.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment bnA0IFb.png

After you have click the Troubleshoot the Troubleshoot screen appears.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment VWLtwEw.png

9. Click “Advanced options” on the Troubleshoot screen to access more WinRE recovery utility’s in “Advanced options” screen.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment Hn5gZ2W.png

10. Launch the Command Prompt.

11. Within the Command Prompt type Notepad.exe and press Enter key.

12. From opened Notepad click the “Save” option from the File pull down on the menu bar.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment WPaZGlS.png

13. This action launches Windows Explorer, from the navigation pane, navigate to the directory where your personal files are stored.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment rLR6X1J.png

14. Right click any file or folder you want to backup and click Copy from the context menu.

15. From the Windows Explorer navigation pane, click the external storage drive to open it and paste the file or folder you have copied to the external storage drive.

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment HWIHVTE.gif

That is it! After you have finished shutdown your computer.

:)

FreeBooter, Sep 28, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Data backup and recovery help thread

We get heaps of threads on this, so lets make a nice organised list of programs people can use for backing up, restoring, and recovering data.

For a quick start to this, some pointers.

1. If you formatted a drive and did NOT write to it, recovery is possible. If you installed any data over it (such as windows, or copying files to it) then you need to restore a backup, or accept that you will have lost some, most, or all of your data.

2. Backups are not perfect - for example, a virus that killed your machine could also be in your backup. try and backup your important data first, not your operating system and useless files - and store it in more than one place if possible (for example, an external hard drive AND on DVD)

Now to the programs:

Free Data recovery software
    Piriform Recuva - Highly recommended by TPU users, myself included.

The following were listed by 95viper in another thread, i dont know if he's reccomending them or just listed them.
    Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier A nice one.*Smile How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment :)
    UNDELETE 360
    Free File Recovery 1.1
    Glary Undelete
    UndeletePlus[/QUOTE]

Paid Data recovery software

Free backup/restore software

Paid backup/restore software
    Acronis True Image Home
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 (Paid)[/QUOTE]

please people, help me fill in the blanks so i can request this to get stickied. *Smile How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment :)

Mussels, Sep 28, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to access Windows Recovery Environment normally

Some entries in the bcd for the recovery environment is either corrupted or missing. To fix the problem, you;d need to rebuild the entries for the recovery environment.
    Here's the steps:
    1. Turn on folder options to show hidden files/folders. Open admin command then type: reagentc /disable
      - This will move 2 files from the recovery partition reagent.xml and winre.wim to C:\windows\system32\recovery
    2. If you have the Windows 10 ISO, double click on it to mount to a virtual cd/dvd else If you have the Windows 10 USB then navigate to Sources folder and look for install.esd or install.wim.
    3. Use 7-ZIP to open install.esd or install.wim, select and index. eg. 6 then navigate to Windows\system32\recovery. You'd see 2 files: Winre.wim and reagent.xml.
    4. Remove everything from C:\windows\system32\recovery (ie. your current winre.win and reagent.xml)
    5. Copy the new winre.wim and reagent.xml from the install.esd/install.wim to C:\windows\system32\Recovery
    6. From admin command, type: ReAgentc /enable
    Reboot to recovery. This will also fix the problem with shutdown /r /o

topgundcp, Sep 28, 2019
  4. How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment

Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment

1. How to Backup Personal Files from Windows Recovery Environment - Similar Threads - Backup Personal Files

2. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery environment: I have been struggling for a few days/weeks now on enabling/recovering windows recovery environment as I have been experiencing odd issues of random crashes/freezing, restart not happening, shutting down not finishing, and repairing not happening, my Pc also will not install...
  3. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: I have been struggling for a few days/weeks now on enabling/recovering windows recovery environment as I have been experiencing odd issues of random crashes/freezing, restart not happening, shutting down not finishing, and repairing not happening, my Pc also will not install...
  4. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  5. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  6. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Reflect Backup Files / Sets not Shown in Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect Backup Files / Sets not Shown in Recovery Environment: I booted to the Macrium Recovery Environment for Reflect v8 for my PC which has a system drive C and another drive D for Reflect backups. I can browse to find the backup files on drive D in the recovery environment. However, when I add the path D:\Reflect Backups no backup...
  8. Windows Recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Recovery environment: I booted my pc today to a bsod with the error code Bad_system_config_info i have no idea what to do im kinda just lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-recovery-environment/90f7bd3e-2ad9-4618-a966-ed7545fb7dd4
  9. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: Recently my asus fx 505 laptop had errors so i decided to reinstall a new windows 10 with a flashdrive. I was wondering if there was any way i could recover my previous windows recovery environment or factory reset point from the windows.old after reinstalling a new windows...
  10. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: @Saltgrass just not sure what setting some of the Reagentc entries to "0" actually did. Both Winre.wim and Reagent.xml are under: C:\Windows\System32\Recovery If contains all 0's. ReAgentc will search for the Recovery Partition identified by ID type...