Windows 10: How to backup programs for clean installation

Discus and support How to backup programs for clean installation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by djdelarosa25, May 14, 2017.

1. How to backup programs for clean installation

I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently have would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. How do I backup all of my programs so that I can just restore them after clean installing?

:)

djdelarosa25, May 14, 2017

2. How to backup and clean install?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

• If I install the German version, do language packs translate absolutely everything? I need the English version.
      • Yes, language pack change everything on your computer. You can install English language pack on your computer to use English version.
    • If I install the English version, will I be able to use the German key?
      • If you are user a genuine product key then this shall work.
    I suggest you to refer the Microsoft license terms and check.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

Hope this information is helpful.
    Do let us know if the issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, May 14, 2017
  3. How to backup and clean install?

Hi Lorantique,

Thank you for showing interest in Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that, if you are upgrading from genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 then the Windows 10 makes use of those product keys. If you are performing clean installation of the Windows 10 then you will have to purchase the product key.

Note: You may need external hard drive to back up the data.

I would suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on How to perform a clean installation of Windows for Windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/clean-install

I would recommend you to refer to the section: How to perform a clean installation of Windows from the following Microsoft article on
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool for Windows 10.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Reference: Refer to the following Wiki article created by J W Stuart on
    How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview.

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, May 14, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

How to backup programs for clean installation

Don`t think you can.

Why don`t you have the installers ?

AddRAM, May 14, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    That's the biggest problem with streaming installers, doesn't save the setup files to the computer. Whenever possible [usually always] I do the Save or Save As to enable retaining the files for reuse later.

Installing Windows-based programs entails a couple of things, one is the decompressing [where needed] of the files needed to run the program, installing support files in Windows, creating the icons in the menus or on the desktop and the most critical, creating Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the programs. This process is also the reason one cannot simply copy the programs' Folders to another computer.

Berton, May 14, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    That situation, which happened to me long ago, is exactly why I save almost all of the install EXEs, MSIs, ZIPs, etc. on my Data partition. Going forward, do you plan on making routine OS and Data partition full image backups onto external media? Sometimes a good ol' restore trumps a clean reinstall and successive 3rd party programs reinstall.

RolandJS, May 14, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "I save almost all of the install EXEs, MSIs, ZIPs, etc. on my Data partition"

There's something to the saying that "Great minds think alike' *Smile
    I put all my installers for every program on my computer on a partition and sync it to an external hdd in case of hard drive crash. I have many old programs, some dating back 20 yrs, no longer out there and some mfr bloatware that I uninstalled but may one day use. Also, have older versions that work better than current updated versions. I don't delete any until I've installed and tested 'upgrades'.
    I go so far as to even download things like Firefox or Skype that auto update within themselves and copy the latest Windows 10 ISO in case I need an in place repair. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

mrgeek, May 14, 2017
  8. How to backup programs for clean installation

Is there a way to make an executable out of currently installed programs?

Everything else that I have can be easily downloaded. The problem is with my Adobe suite. These programs are huge.

Also, if I do a clean install and install Windows on Drive C and my programs and data go on Drive D, will performing a clean install in the future on the C partition keep the programs on Drive D useable? Or do I need to reinstall them again?

9. cereberus Win User
    Sure you can but it will cost you - not cheap. e.g.

zinstall, easeus pctrans, laplink pcmover.

OP - why not do a repair upgrade - this reinstalls OS but keeps everything. Worth trying before a clean install.

cereberus, May 14, 2017
  10. I wanna do a clean install to make Windows run efficiently again, even though my OS is already optimized. I just want everything to feel fresh again.

11. cereberus Win User
    What makes you think a fresh install will help?

Fresh installs are only needed if you have issues. If you regularly maintain pc eg disk cleanups, uninstall stuff not needed etc, then clean installing will not really benefit you. Days when you needed registry cleaners etc are long gone.

Are you having issues or are you just using 'last decade' mantra?

cereberus, May 14, 2017
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

There's a hidden/protected folder named "Installer" as a subfolder of the Windows folder that contains the installers of all the programs adhering to MS's .msi standard which you can use to reinstall them should you want to.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to backup programs for clean installation

1. How to backup programs for clean installation - Similar Threads - backup programs clean

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. Backup/Clean/Updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup/Clean/Updates: my PC wont download the latest version of windows 10 it's saying my PC is running out of space everything I basically have on my PC is from Microsoft and windows so can't remove anything also it may be corrupted please help!...
  5. Backup Installed Programs

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Installed Programs: Hello, Several programs are actually installed in the system, some in "program files" folder and some in "program files (x86)" folder. All of them less then 10. All other programs are on another disk as portables. Is there some way to backup those really installed programs so...
  6. Backup Installed Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup Installed Programs: Hello, Several programs are actually installed in the system, some in "program files" folder and some in "program files (x86)" folder. All of them less then 10. All other programs are on another disk as portables. Is there some way to backup those really installed programs so...
  7. Data Backup before Clean Install

Data Backup before Clean Install: Hello friends, I have started a small repair business and my question revolves around data backup options while doing a clean install on a PC. Generally before doing the clean install, I take a backup of data (User Library such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures,...
  8. Clean Install then Recover Backup?

Clean Install then Recover Backup?: Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such as bootloader etc... So my question is, would I be able to start all over, re-format the drive from Win10 installation...
  9. How to clean install 10 and then bring in my programs ...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clean install 10 and then bring in my programs ...: i want to do a clean install of win10, meaning that i will format my SSD that has win7 pro 64 on it. how do i save my programs to another drive so that after installing 10 i can then bring in my programs without having to manually install each one from scratch. ? I have...
  10. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to backup and clean install? Specific situation: Hey, guys, so I need your help. I have an ASUS laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 Home(UEFI). I've additionaly installed Ubuntu alongside. After a while, I wanted to uninstall the Ubuntu and install another distribution but I wasn't sure how to do that, and the guides...