Windows 10: how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive

Discus and support how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; my dell xps 14 may be flaking out. I want to be prepared. right now I backup my current images using Macrium free but was planning to buy just one ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dsmith888, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dsmith888 Win User

how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive

my dell xps 14 may be flaking out. I want to be prepared. right now I backup my current images using Macrium free but was planning to buy just one ssd to replace the hybrid one. Does macrium support this type of transfer, if so how do I do it? partition images attached.

:)

dsmith888, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Flaved Win User

Hybrid Drive defragmentation. Will it shorten the life of SSD?

I am using a Seagate 2TB Hybrid drive and trying to defragment it, will the de-fragmentation procedure shorten the life of the 8GB SSD inside the drive? Im on my 16th pass in 1.5 hours.

Flaved, Dec 7, 2018
  3. puttycoat Win User
    seagate hybrid drive

I have a Seagate hybrid drive that is labeled ssd and because of that I am unable to defag the drive. can this be fixed?

puttycoat, Dec 7, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive - Similar Threads - backup ssd hybrid

2. How to restore C: drive from backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore C: drive from backup?: Hello all. I need help restoring my W10 system. System was running fine and then all of a sudden, it goes to Auto Repair mode. That fails, repeatedly. I tried various solutions but none worked. I eventually decided to do reinstall of Windows using downloaded Windows...
  3. How to restore C: drive from backup?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to restore C: drive from backup?: Hello all. I need help restoring my W10 system. System was running fine and then all of a sudden, it goes to Auto Repair mode. That fails, repeatedly. I tried various solutions but none worked. I eventually decided to do reinstall of Windows using downloaded Windows...
  4. How Do I Wake PC from Hybrid-Sleep with Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Wake PC from Hybrid-Sleep with Keyboard?: How do I use my keyboard or mouse to wake my PC from hybrid-sleep? 127400
  5. Hybrid drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hybrid drive: I ''had' a 4tb game drive before the big windows 10 update last week. New Windows 10 says it is 'unknown' 'not initialized' in disk manager. I tried to initialize the disk, it failed. I tried rebuilding the partition using a 3rrd party software called AOMEI Partition...
  6. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?: When I use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon/tool, to remove a USB stick, my internal SSD drive shows as a choice to be removed. How can I get the SSD off this list? In Device Manager, under Disk Drives, looking at the SSD drive's properties there is no...
  7. Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software: I updated my system from a Dell XPS 8700 to a Dell XPS 8900. My 8700 had an SSD boot drive and 3 internal HDDs and several USB externals for backup. It worked well for backups. 8900 came with SSD but it was not setup as boot. Boot was a HDD. I moved operating system to SSD....
  8. Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start: By default fast start is enabled. But seeing as I have a seagate hybrid drive I wonder if it should be on or off. Some kind of background HD magic works to keep most used data cached on the small 8 GB SSD portion of the 1 TB drive. Not that I notice any ill effects using fast...
  9. Moving laptop drive to SSD - including backup and driver questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving laptop drive to SSD - including backup and driver questions: Hello all, I have an Acer laptop, Aspire V5-571. It has a 750GB standard SATA hard disk drive and I have just purchased a new 960GB SSD to replace it with. I initially planned to clone the used data (320GB of the 750GB) to the new drive, but now I am thinking about...
  10. Problems with Hybrid boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Hybrid boot: Hello, I have 2 PCs, both running win 10 updated from 8.1. The desktop has an AMD processor and graphics card, the laptop has an intel i5 and nvidia card. Both have 8 gb ram. Since an update around 2 weeks ago both have a strange problem: fast booting does not work anymore....