Windows 10: how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive

Discus and support how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; my dell xps 14 may be flaking out. I want to be prepared. right now I backup my current images using Macrium free but was planning to buy just one ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dsmith888, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dsmith888 Win User

how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive

my dell xps 14 may be flaking out. I want to be prepared. right now I backup my current images using Macrium free but was planning to buy just one ssd to replace the hybrid one. Does macrium support this type of transfer, if so how do I do it? partition images attached.

:)

dsmith888, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Flaved Win User

Hybrid Drive defragmentation. Will it shorten the life of SSD?

I am using a Seagate 2TB Hybrid drive and trying to defragment it, will the de-fragmentation procedure shorten the life of the 8GB SSD inside the drive? Im on my 16th pass in 1.5 hours.

Flaved, Dec 7, 2018
  3. puttycoat Win User
    seagate hybrid drive

I have a Seagate hybrid drive that is labeled ssd and because of that I am unable to defag the drive. can this be fixed?

puttycoat, Dec 7, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive - Similar Threads - backup ssd hybrid

2. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD: I recently encountered a SMART failure predicted for my 1 TB hard drive that was part of a 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD hybrid in my HP Pavillion laptop. After doing some verification to confirm it was indeed a hard drive issue, I ended up ordering a replacement 1TB SSD and using...
  3. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD: I recently encountered a SMART failure predicted for my 1 TB hard drive that was part of a 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD hybrid in my HP Pavillion laptop. After doing some verification to confirm it was indeed a hard drive issue, I ended up ordering a replacement 1TB SSD and using...
  4. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...: How does one actually do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-boot-partition-is-located-on-a-mechanical-or/7bbedd7e-afef-4e08-9282-0bb3edb00687
  7. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...: How does one actually do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-boot-partition-is-located-on-a-mechanical-or/7bbedd7e-afef-4e08-9282-0bb3edb00687
  8. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Seagate Firecuda hybrid Drive

Seagate Firecuda hybrid Drive: Hi! I have moved the operating system to a Seagate Firecuda ssd/HD hybrid drive on my recent Windows 10 AMD A10 laptop. Things were going well with updates working until the 1903 update which says it can't install an operating system on a USB drive. Apparently. it sees the...
  10. Hybrid drive

Hybrid drive: I ''had' a 4tb game drive before the big windows 10 update last week. New Windows 10 says it is 'unknown' 'not initialized' in disk manager. I tried to initialize the disk, it failed. I tried rebuilding the partition using a 3rrd party software called AOMEI Partition...