Windows 10: How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files?

Discus and support How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I'd like to know how Windows 10 settings can be backed up for later restoration. I already do that for files, but settings aren't yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cubytus, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Cubytus Win User

How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files?

Hi there,

I'd like to know how Windows 10 settings can be backed up for later restoration. I already do that for files, but settings aren't yet backed up. For work efficiency purposes, I first install all my common applications and settings, and would like to know how I could easily restore them to another computer running an identical software image read below.

Case scenario: I often need to borrow library-issued computers as they are much more powerful than mine, and for a number of other reasons as well. These are typically on half-term lease, and I eventually have to hand it back when lend period expires. I can then re-submit a reservation should I need one again. The itchy part: the reservation system doesn't allow for choosing a specific unit. Now, on the software side, all of these computers run the exact same software image. Computers available for medium-term loan have many administrative rights, including installing applications, and I was told the library restores the image between each user, so I'm not creating work

Details: what I typically do right after powering it up:

1. Change keyboard layout
    2. Change default browser
    3. Disable all kind of auto-restart processes
    4. Install & setup iCloud
    5. Install & setup Nextcloud
    6. Install & setup Barrier
    7. Sync Zotero profile
    8. Sync Firefox profile + install required add-ons
    9. Restore files using Windows 7 backup tool, and re-connect to the existing backup.
    10. For additional software and storage, I usually run them off a large SD card since the internal SSD is rather small.

Takes a while, so how would I save then re-apply all settings, not jsut software and data?

:)

Cubytus, Feb 13, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 13, 2021
  3. Changing Destination Drive for Backup in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type in Backup and Restore.
    • Under Backup or restore your files select set up backup.
    • Once the set up starts you'll get an option to choose the destination drive.
    • And then follow the onscreen instructions.

For additional information refer to the link below and check if this helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/backup-and-restore-in-windows-10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Feb 13, 2021
  4. How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files?

Windows 10

its already there. there is a hard set factory image from samsung. problem is it takes a long time to get that backup into the drive again and destroys the C drive data.

so looks like i wont be trying windows 10 anytime soon *Stick Out Tongue How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files? :p

de.das.dude, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files?

1. How to backup Windows 10 settings NOT files? - Similar Threads - backup settings files

2. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Backup Settings: Hola all.I'm running a really old desktop Zoostorm on Windows 10 which is NOT suitable for Windows 11. I'm trying to change Backup settings to create a System Image using that facility I'm told is available on Windows 10.....but where IS it? I do backup using File History to...
  3. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Backup Settings: Hola all.I'm running a really old desktop Zoostorm on Windows 10 which is NOT suitable for Windows 11. I'm trying to change Backup settings to create a System Image using that facility I'm told is available on Windows 10.....but where IS it? I do backup using File History to...
  4. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to backup a single file on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup a single file on windows 10?: Hello I would like to know how to backup a single file, its a game save file, it does autosave every 10 min, but sometimes save file get corrupted, so i want to backup that save file as much as possible (every time it update or every few minutes, or at least every hour) So I...
  6. Windows 10 Backup settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup settings: Hi I have a Toshiba 2T external hard drive as my backup storage. When I try to use the Windows 10 back setting it only saves a few Kbs and nothing else. I have tried putting the Toshiba into sharing this makes no difference. How do I get it to work correctly. Should I be...
  7. How to backup programs settings in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to backup programs settings in windows 10?: I bought an ssd and I want to do a clean installation of windows but I don't want to download all my programs again and setup all their settings from scratch, is there any program that let's me backup the settings and when I install all my programs again I can just restore...
  8. how to backup files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to backup files in Windows 10: How to backup files in Windows 10 and then view it in thumb drive to confirm it happened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-files-in-windows-10/9b9276d2-dd5f-41c9-ac3d-a7e92b050dfa"
  9. Backup File Explorer settings?

Backup File Explorer settings?: Don't you hate it when you find a solution and can not find it here again? My wife has customized her File Explorer settings. The issue is that if she does a search for a file like q-dir.exe on the whole C: drive it takes a long time, never finds it, and then never stops...
  10. Windows 10 backup settings?

Windows 10 backup settings?: Hello, quick question, Does windows 10 backups settings like theme, mail and other settings as windows 8.1 onedrive did? You basically set up a new computer and sign into onedrive and it pulled all your settings onto your new computer. Does it do the same with win 10?...