Windows 10: How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order

Discus and support How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Pretty hard to explain what I wish to do in a clear title... Hello ! I'll explain with an example, files names will sound silly but I'm sumplifying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maxjprg, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Maxjprg Win User

How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order

Pretty hard to explain what I wish to do in a clear title...

Hello !

I'll explain with an example, files names will sound silly but I'm sumplifying the issue.

I have a folder called "test", in this folder I have 3 images (.jpg).
    One image is the picture of the number "1" and is called "5.jpg"
    A second image is the picture of the number "2" and is called "6.jpg"
    A third image is the picture of the number "3" and is called "8.jpg"

In my folder I sort the files by name which means that I have, in order, the pictures of the "1" > the "2" > and the "3", named "5.jpg" > "6.jpg" > "8.jpg"

I wish to rename those files as follow :

- Picture of the "1" = "abc_00010"
    - Picture of the "2" = "abc_00020"
    - Picture of the "3" = "abc_00030"

Is there a way to do that with a simple command pront ?
    Bascily I would need to have the command to keep the order the file is currently sorted in and apply names of each files in form "abc_X0"

X being 0001, 0002, 0003, ... 0013, 0014, 0015, ... 0125, 0126, 0127 ... 1454, 1455, 1456

Thanks by advance for your help !

:)

Maxjprg, Mar 21, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

Hi, suggest you play with this (or similar) - free for personal use, donationware.

How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order [​IMG]

dalchina, Mar 21, 2019
  3. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after it. For example, a folder with the files "abc.txt", "123.txt" and "Null.txt" batch renamed "File" would become "File (1).txt", "File (2).txt" and "File (3).txt" respectively.

The problem that I am having is when you use this feature on files of different types. If the files in that same folder were "abc.jpg", "123.mp3" and "Null.txt" and I did the same rename, all files would be named the same thing like "File.jpg", "File.mp3" and "File.txt".

Is there any way to select all files in a folder of different types and batch rename them to all have "File (X)" instead of having duplicates?

The actual reason I want to do this is for my photos. I have folders of photos of both jpg and png types and I want to sort them by date and name them "Image" so that all files will be named "Image (X)" sorted by date. When I do this though, I have duplicate "Image (1)" etc. because of the multiple file extensions. Is there any way to fix this?

Here are some pictures further explaining what I am talking about:

Microsoft256, Mar 21, 2019
  4. How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order

Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Hello,

Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following:

CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here

REN *.jpg *.tif

This changes every file that has a JPG extension to a TIF. I'm trying to replicate the same thing, but do it in a batch file, but I keep throwing an error that says "The system cannot find the file specified." I'm not sure if the syntax has to be different
    as a batch file as opposed to just typing it into Windows Command Line itself. Here is the code I have now:

Code:
    title Image File Extension ChangeECHO Finding directory, please wait.CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\HereECHO Renaming files, please wait.

ren *.jpg *.tif

pause
    Thank you for the help!

PeterThomas6, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order

1. How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order - Similar Threads - batch rename multiple

2. Manually sorting and batch renaming photos in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually sorting and batch renaming photos in Windows 10: recently got a new computer with Windows 10. I know how to manually move my pictures in a folder to put them in the order I wa by moving them one at a time to a new position, and I also know how to batch rename them. The problem I am having is that once they are renamed, some...
  3. Manually sorting and batch renaming photos in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually sorting and batch renaming photos in Windows 10: recently got a new computer with Windows 10. I know how to manually move my pictures in a folder to put them in the order I wa by moving them one at a time to a new position, and I also know how to batch rename them. The problem I am having is that once they are renamed, some...
  4. rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...: I want to rename a file with a new extension but keep the exiting extension as part of the new file name. Example xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000 rename to xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000.123."ren * *.123" just replaces the .f000 with .123.I want to keep the .f000 as part of the new filename.The...
  5. batch rename files

in Windows 10 Support
    batch rename files: hello, id like to remove characters in file names... using cmd, ive been able to remove "." (the dot) and replace it with a space and but hopefully keep the extention id like bou.bou.bou.txt to be renamed to bou bou bou.txt i tried : ren *.*.??? * *.??? obviously i want to...
  6. Rename files in batch.

Rename files in batch.: Hi All.. I am having some files nearly 2000 in nos. in a particular folder. I just need to replace some portion. Is it possible that I can do it instantaneously.. if so please guide....Details are furnished below.Old file Name : P12478-12-71-41-1781-01.dwg...
  7. Bulk renaming files in sequential order making multiples

Bulk renaming files in sequential order making multiples: I am renaming files in sequential order but it is making multiples. I will have 2 files named abc 1 and two named abc 2 and this will go on for many file names. I have tried setting a start number...still happens. I cannot find a solution....
  8. How to Batch Rename files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Batch Rename files ?: I have a lot of files i want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, i want to give to other files. How do i do this in a batch process ? Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be...
  9. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

in Windows 10 Support
    How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions: I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after...
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to custom sort pictures and batch rename them in that order