Windows 10: How To Be Able To Place Start Menu Tiles Anywher On Start Menu

Discus and support How To Be Able To Place Start Menu Tiles Anywher On Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've expanded the size of the Start Menu so I can put a lot of Tiles there, but when I drag a Tile to a new location it sometimes bounces back to where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by beau, Apr 27, 2017.

1. beau Win User

How To Be Able To Place Start Menu Tiles Anywher On Start Menu

I've expanded the size of the Start Menu so I can put a lot of Tiles there, but when I drag a Tile to a new location it sometimes bounces back to where it had been. Other times moving a Tile somewhere will cause another Tile so shift to somewhere else.
    How can I instruct the Start Menu to allow me to place (by dragging) any Tile anywhere I want?

:)

2. Problems with windows 10 Start Menu

Can`t place Recycle Bin, This PC & Control Panel Tiles on my start menu in Windows 10. When you right click on these file icons there is a option to pin to start menu. Nothing happens when you click this option. They were once on my start menu, but one day
    I turned on my laptop on and half my start menu was gone, since then I have not been able to replace all the missing tiles. The three mentioned above were the most important ones.

Also wondering if anyone has figured out how to rename, change icons & colours of the tiles on the start menu

RayMatheson, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Start Menu Missing Tiles and not being able to pin/un-pin application shortcuts

Hi all,

So since a few days ago, my start menu suddenly started messing things up like doing the above. I thought it was a small bug so I've tried rebooting/restarting explorer. I've snooped around for hours for similar problems and fixes people provided for the
    people but to no avail, my start menu is still broken. I cant pin/un-pin apps, my start menu folder is missing from my own personal appdata folder, the problems persist still on my family user and making a fresh new user still has these problems. That means
    the start menu folder is gone from there too. Only a few app shortcuts stayed but i checked where they were located and they were shortcuts of shortcuts in the
    Windows folder in ProgramData.
    I also cannot resize these tiles while also being immovable. I can still launch them.

In my Windows 10 settings,in the Start section in Personalization options, there is red text displaying "Some settings are managed by your organization". So that might be something leading to the above problem as well.

To conclude, I would really appreciate help as the Windows 10 start menu is where i keep my shortcuts instead of the usual desktop. I actually really like the way its put out and would hate to see it go.

BeefBriskets, Apr 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The Windows 10 Start Menu is not a desktop. It is actually a series of square grids grouped under headings (called groups). When you move a tile to an empty group, you can see the space for the heading for that group appear. It seems to be a limitation that the spaces directly below a foup heading must be filled first. You can drag a tile to the third or fourth row under a group heading without the row above it being occupied by at least one tile first.

There can only be one tile in each grid space, so when you try to place a tile over the top of an existing one, the previously existing tile there must be moved out of the way for the new tile to fit in that grid space. The previous tile is moved to the nearest empty grid space underneath the same group heading.

If you click in the space for the group heading you can enter a name for that group. See this thread for an example:
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 27, 2017
Thema:

1. How To Be Able To Place Start Menu Tiles Anywher On Start Menu - Similar Threads - Able Place Start

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. Tiles overlapping on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tiles overlapping on start menu: Hello, this happened after having installed MS Edge Bêta (based on Chromium Project). [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tiles-overlapping-on-start-menu/ba2836e0-c890-493f-b45d-e6118b3aade2
  4. Start Menu Tiles

Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  5. Tiles in Start Menu overlapping

Tiles in Start Menu overlapping: Mostly after a restart the Start Menu tiles overlap. The top row is pushed down so it ends up unintelligible, this includes the tile group titles. My workaround is to hold down on a lower tile to enter Start Menu edit mode when the top row springs up into the correct...
  6. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  7. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  8. Default Start Menu/Tiles

Default Start Menu/Tiles: Just a question about the default start menu/tiles. Originally I didn't like the look of the tiles so I removed them however now I'm thinking I may actually like them. So is there a way I can get the default start menu/tiles back? 14358
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326