Windows 10: How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process?

Discus and support How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am sure this question has been asked thousands time. Is so, could someone kindly point me to it. There is now too much info when searching.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by acontrario, Feb 27, 2019.

1. How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process?

Hello,

I am sure this question has been asked thousands time. Is so, could someone kindly point me to it. There is now too much info when searching. I should perhaps also try Brink on 10forum, superbly pedagogical and to the point.

I am fed up trying to get my W10 post 1809 update to work.

On a previously reasonably working well W10 Pro install (i7 SSD 1TB 3 years old) - migrated from a W7 Ultimate OEM - using a ISO disk (Windows Media Creation Tool having failed systematically), I performed the update.

Before the 1809 update:

• I had performed a scf /scannow (no integrity issues but many "duplicate ownership" of folders errors) and a dism repairHealth (successful) to be sure before the update.
    • Malwarebytes having scanned all before update.
    • MS W7 full backup performed on disk before the update: BUT: Impossible to roll-back (errors in the process) so useless but perhaps better so: a clean install seems even more necessary.
    • Have a bootable USB key ready where I downloaded an app from Microsoft dedicated to perform a repair disk before this OS update. But will it work? If it is like the restore above, or like MediaCreationTool having failed several times under me, I will be in problems.
    • The 1809 update would not run automatically (errors in loops). I ran it from a downloaded install copy from Microsoft. It ran successfully 1st time.

Symptoms after 1809 update from 17?? :

• extra slow
    • huge memory consumption (8GB mem, 70% full at start and continuously after, why? - all possible apps at start closed down in msconfig and after - while before, reaching 50% was exceptional only with large autocad or huge excel & many apps open)
    • would need off/on power button after 15 minutes or so
    • wobbling screen by fraction of second, jittering briefly, part black screen, full black screen while working in the background (never seen this before, I thought seriously I had a hardware problem). Also, forcing on HD 15.6" screen 125% instead of 100% making impossible apps to run incl W10 apps (event filter for example).
    • example of app crash: start Outlook 2016, try sending a message, clicking "Security Settings..." to send an email with certificate and systematic immediate crash of Outlook. Plenty of similar weird examples. Outlook is fabulous: it restarts each time without a complaint! So are other Office apps let down by the OS.
    • error messages with "running out of memory", among other weird random error messages (no pattern but I am not expert)
    • huge events log (>2000 "errors" in two days), totally unusual
    • I tried to export the event log but too long & crashes while filtering. Got fed-up. I only got parts of it. I am not sure of this is usefull here. => clean re-install

W7 restore (rstrui) having failed, I have Acronis but no point restoring something broken. I suspect the mecanism of access rights to be broken because I saw a lot of errors are related to access rights, but not sure. A mixed bag. Also, laundry lists of errors related to H-Virtualization? I don't use as a user H-Virtualization now but perhaps W10 uses it. 1st time I see this.

Who tested this release? Congratulations to the new quality control before release. MS had tremendously improved. But it seems management has taken decision leading us to get back to old dark days of MS development. The pendulum is swinging backwards.

Rather than risking repairing badly or carrying leftover from the past, I am looking at the best & safest procedure to make a clean "re-install" of Windows.

I make an extra effort not to use Microsoft W10 Folders to store data but Microsoft doesn't help segrating system, applications & user data, so never a guarantee to have everything. May I miss something? Normally, W10 is on its own logical drive (primary partition), key data is on another logical drive, and less sensitive data on another logical drive, trying to keep things well segregated. But it is easy to miss something.

Is there somewhere a tutorial step by step to repair a damaged W10 install with special html pages well documented. If not, this is my strong recommendation. My main concern is to lose the MS W10 Pro licence attached to this hardware. Then having to go through the hassle of getting one back.

1) I listed all installed apps (manually with a tool)

2) I got all the licences keys. But what when W10 was installed above a OEM W7 like in my situation with the faulty PC? Can I retrieve these rights if I erase all? Worried

3) Office Pro 2016: easy, I uninstall before. NB: I know I should never do that with Office 2010 Pro as I did 2 months ago otherwise MS makes it nearly impossible to reinstall Office 2010 now from my very bad recent experience (huge key to supply, etc.). Organised problems for users. I gave up on a other machine I barely use, nevertheless, this is not ethical behaviour to prevent wrongly to reinstall.

4) other non MS apps with licences: get the licences ready

5) I have always a folder separate with all sources used to reinstall and there are internet downloads if needed

6) get my USB stick for repair disk ready

7) I have of course the data backups (not much data here, 500 GB about).

8) Fdisk? Chkdisk? If this update problem was hiding a hardware problem?

Unfortunately, the laptop is no longer serviceable (Sony Vaio) and has no utility to test the hardware. For a moment, I really thought the hardware was for the bin, then I realised I had performed the update manually.

My SSD laptop has 3 main user partitions (OS & apps on primary, Data incl mails & users things normally buried in AppData folders, Other). I hesitate between starting from a new formatted OS partition for the OS or "repairing" the OS by destroying the existing W10 1809 with performing on top of it a clean install. I don't do this often hence my hesitations. Also, I saw errors related to BCD & virtualisation apparently prevented in BCD. Will they be repaired in the special partitions? I guess yes but I am not sure.

Again, if I have a suggestion to make, it would be for MS to build an automated process to facilitate this "clean" repair, taking user's apps into account. There is a process that does not include users apps. If Google can do it on Android phones, showing their developers & management care all the way, why wouldn't MS do it also?

Do I miss something in this rebuild process as described above (I forgot patience, and I am short of it. Aie.)? I am just an ordinary user having learned scratched the surface through problems. I have no or little knowledge in Windows. I need advice.

Thanks

:)

acontrario, Feb 27, 2019
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Feb 27, 2019
  3. delay w10 install

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

To get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade, I would suggest you to follow these steps:

• Go to control panel, then click on Programs and Features.
    • Tap on View installed updates, then find the update called KB3035583.
    • Now uninstall this update.
    I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Feb 27, 2019
  4. niko084 Win User

How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process?

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process?

1. How to best re-install W10 after a buggy v1809 update? Best process? - Similar Threads - best install W10

2. Best way to make W10 lightweight?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to make W10 lightweight?: I just bought a HP Stream with 32GB storage. It runs Windows 10, but I was shocked, to say the least, at the fact it only has 3GB of free storage. What can I do to make the install as light as possible? submitted by /u/thattonybo [link] [comments]...
  3. How best to install d/l-ed copy of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How best to install d/l-ed copy of W10: Hi :) I have a formatted HDD ready to take my W10 install. I will be d/l-ing from the MS site, and have the choice of creating installation media to install: USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file Obviously, the end result will be the same, but what is easiest? Anyone know the...
  4. Best place to buy W10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best place to buy W10?: Hi :) I am looking to buy a W10 OEM license for a machine I am building. Recommendations for an online legitimate retailer? Thanks in advance. 163014
  5. Best W10 version for gaming performance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best W10 version for gaming performance?: Has any youtuber or someone made benchmarks with different windows versions? I'm currently on version 2004 but i'm just curious if there's a version that has been proven to be better performance submitted by /u/nosceneLUL [link] [comments]...
  6. Forced updates are the best

Forced updates are the best: Forced updates are the best. I'm so glad this feature was added to Windows 10 where the updates are pushed through whether I want them or not. Keeps me from having to decide on how to use my computer....
  7. w10 v1809 installation is broken

w10 v1809 installation is broken: Or at least it tends to fail on some PCs at the OOBE phase(s). This has been happening to me at least twice now. The only way is to install v1803 and apply v1809 on top of it. This time it failed for me on an old one core processor pc with 4GB RAM and x64 architecture. So,...
  8. Best way for updates after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way for updates after clean install: Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (iso from July 16). Just wondering if there are any tricks like there was with Windows 7. Or should I just check for updates normally and go with it? Right now the CPU is at 100% when checking for updates/downloading which is why I'm...
  9. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  10. Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?

Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?: I've finally decided to install the Anniversary Update on my desktop PC after being wary of the missing drives / RAW format problems reported on this forum - although I've seen no recent reports of problems. What's the best update method - just let Windows automatically...