Windows 10: How to best remove eSATA drive?

Discus and support How to best remove eSATA drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I guess I am used to removing a drive when done on USB...and I used to do this with eSATA. However, while I can still do this on USB is there any way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MPSAN, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MPSAN Win User

How to best remove eSATA drive?

I guess I am used to removing a drive when done on USB...and I used to do this with eSATA. However, while I can still do this on USB is there any way to remove my eSATA drive when I am done? Some have said you do not need to in Win 10 and we can just shut it down and others say to use software like Hotswap.

Does anyone have the answer?

:)

MPSAN, Feb 13, 2016
  2. PTuck Win User

Windows 10 Esata not auto detecting - only if scan for hardware changes - also cannot safely remove

Hi all.

So previously, with Windows 7, using an HDD docking station connected by esata, I could insert a hard drive into the docking station power it up, and windows 7 would detect it automatically.

Since updating to Windows 10 quite some time ago now, this has never worked properly. The only way I can get Windows 10 to see the esata drive is to either a) Restart the PC, or B) Scan for hardware changes in device manager, which would then pick up the
    drive. This is very annoying, as causes every one of my internal drives etc to spin up needlessly

Likewise....once I'm finished with that drive, there is no longer a Safely Remove Hardware option for the esata drive....something which was present with no problems in Windows 7 too....so the only way I can guarantee safely removing the drive is effectively
    to shut down the PC.

On the same docking station I can use USB 2.0 too, but that is much slower.

Any ideas how to make this work how it used to please?

PTuck, Feb 13, 2016
  3. How Can I Get Windows 10 to "See" my External Hard Drive in the eSata Port?

To use ESATA with Windows 10 on my computers, this works:

1) shut down.

2) plug the ESATA drive into the PC, and turn on the ESATA drive.

3) after the drive is spinning up, turn on the PC.

4) if the PC freezes during boot, reboot it, and it usually detects ESATA correctly and boots normally.

5) always keep ESATA plugged into the PC and turned on before you start the PC if you want to continue using it.

Please let me know what happens for you?

Thanks,

J

Janus Daniels, Feb 13, 2016
  4. badrobot Win User

Pull it out when the PC is off.

badrobot, Feb 13, 2016
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Actually that is what I did. I shutdown the system and then turned it off, but there has to be a better way isn't there?

MPSAN, Feb 13, 2016
  6. badrobot Win User

If your motherboard has a hotswap feature, that is one safe way. But I still don"t trust it. It may not affect the system but it will affect the hard drive. It makes the hard drive prone to errors. So I think the safest way to pull it out is when the power is off.

badrobot, Feb 13, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Don't you have a "safely remove" in the task tray.

8. MPSAN Win User

Yes, but it seems to be for USB only.

MPSAN, Feb 13, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Usually it would be safe to remove if you wait a few seconds after the last write request. You must just give it a chance to empty the buffer. But that happens in a matter of seconds. You may also want to uncheck the write caching.

How to best remove eSATA drive? [​IMG]

10. beginning Win User
    beginning, Feb 13, 2016
  11. If your eSata enclosure sees an on/off switch you first simply turn the switch off. You can use the Safety remove to eject the enclosure but won't make a difference as far as the drive is concerned since once that is powered off you should have heard the disconnect wav file go off. When turning the drive back on the wav file here would be the Addams Family butler Lurch sounding off! "You Rang!" *Eek*chuckle

Once the drive is turned off the enclosure is then ejected with the Safely remove option to insure no glitched on the C drive as far as OS glitches while even that would tend to be rare. The external drive already being turned off however wouldn't see any disk errors simply since it wouldn't even be running at the time. Have an external usb/eSata fan cooled enclosure just bought lately to replace and older usb only enclosure now in use on another system with the on/off switch and Lurch ringing! yet to be plugged into one of the eSata ports on the main case when getting around to plugging those cables into the board.

Night Hawk, Feb 13, 2016
  12. MPSAN Win User
    Well, I do have the Antec enclosure for the drive attached to eSATA. It does have a power switch. Turning off write caching on that drive may work, but wouldn't I need to do that each time I connect it? I am only planning to use this once or twice a month.

So, am I correct in assuming that if I wait 5 seconds or so after the write completes it is OK to just turn off power to this enclosure?

MPSAN, Feb 13, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

The 5 seconds should work. That is plenty of time for any buffers to empty.

14. MPSAN Win User
    Great, so I will then just power it down and not worry about it.

MPSAN, Feb 14, 2016
  15. I do the same with any drive in a usb or combo enclosure simply turning the power off while the host controller in the enclosure itself being the chip on a small miniature circuit board will still be seen as a device in the Safety Remove list. Windows tends to detect everything even if not having any effect on Windows or a hardware. Clicking on the remove option simply insures that no error logs are created.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to best remove eSATA drive? - Similar Threads - best remove eSATA

2. Esata not detecting all drives ( LaCie 2 Big )

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Esata not detecting all drives ( LaCie 2 Big ): Hello everyone, I have a LaCie 2 Big external hard drive ( x2 500MB drives set to JBOD @1TB ) for my 3rd tier back up for O/S image and major artwork projects/VRGalleries(unreal)/commissions. I have moved the LaCie device from my Art studio to the home set-up, in my art...
  3. External HD & eSata port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD & eSata port: Some Windows Update kill my PC ability to see External HD plugged to eSata Port. Happened just in the last week, everything was working last time about a week ago. Pluged the SAME External HD via USB2/3 - all looks good. Another update broke Win10 functionality?!...
  4. BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.: Drive D: is a freshly format NTFS drive connected via ESATA to Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.476. When attempting to enable BitLocker on the drive, the message below is displayed. BitLocker works as expected with the same drive installed internally via SATA....
  5. eSata to USB?

eSata to USB?: My laptop has an eSata socket but all of my external drive docks are USB 3. Are there any adapters available that would let me connect the two? 141577
  6. Windows 10 1903 not recognizing eSATA drives as removable

Windows 10 1903 not recognizing eSATA drives as removable: I've used eSATA drives with Windows 10 for years on two computers. After upgrading to 1903 the drives initialize fine but do not appear in the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" icon in the taskbar. In Disk Management clicking on the drive, selecting Properties,...
  7. Security settings for external esata / usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Security settings for external esata / usb drive: Hello, Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of Windows. I have a 1TB external SATA drive (accessing from an eSata and USB connection) that I need to access from all my PC's...
  8. Best way to remove trialware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best way to remove trialware?: Hello ALL: We have a new Windows 10 Pro Laptop to be delivered Friday. It is a 17" HP and know it comes with Office trialware along with AV trialware. We own Office 2016 Pro and want to use it, but I want to just remove all of the junque that it comes with. Should I use...
  9. Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup: I've been using an eSATA drive since Win 7 and had no problem with Windows backup. Now, since Sunday morning, backup considers that drive 'removable' media and won't back up to it. Any ideas out there? (Since I couldn't do a Windows backup, I configured Macrim to do it,...
  10. eSATA drive shows in This PC, not in Desktop

eSATA drive shows in This PC, not in Desktop: My eSATA (external Hitachi) drive shows in This PC, when I open Windows Explorer, but does not appear in the list of Desktop items. if I turn the drive off and back on again, explorer finds it again. The drive is otherwise working properly. Is there some setting I am...