Windows 10: how to block programs from communicating with the internet

Discus and support how to block programs from communicating with the internet in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Windows 10 user here and firewall novice. I have some of programs I want to block from communicating with the internet: First is Wacom software,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ContentHog, Apr 18, 2020.

1. how to block programs from communicating with the internet

Windows 10 user here and firewall novice. I have some of programs I want to block from communicating with the internet:

• First is Wacom software, after reading this, which strongly suggests Wacom is collecting and selling your data. I assume my Logitech gaming hub (software for my mouse) is doing the same.
    • Second, I have a handful of VSTs (synths for ableton) from the 00's that are a bit suspect, you install them through an exe, and I'm not sure who the publisher is for most of them, some have... russian lettering...

So what I do is in Windows, I go to the firewall, and set up a custom program block with inbound and outbound rules blocking all the exe files in the installed folders. I don't fully understand if that's enough though and what the difference is between inbound and outbound, I mean I assume inbound is blocking incoming data and outbound is blocking outgoing data from the programs.

Any advice appreciated. I also have Windows defender going, just fyi.

submitted by /u/ContentHog
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ContentHog, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Internet Explorer 11 Programs Tab Disappears When Clicked

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What exactly do you mean by program tab disappears after you click it?

• Do you face this issue specific with program tab or all the tab?
    I suggest you to open Internet Option from Command prompt and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to open Internet Options.

1. Press windows + R and type
    inetcpl.cpl.

2. After opening the Internet options check if the issue still persist.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Apr 18, 2020
  3. HP App DeviceSetup.exe is blocking my scan program on Internet Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please share the below information to help you better.

1) Is this issue is only with Internet explorer or different browser as well?

2) When you say "blocking my scan program on Internet Explorer", what exactly are you trying to scan?

As an initial troubleshooting step I suggest you to clear cookies & cache from the browser & check if the issue persists.

For more information follow the below article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-11

Reply us with the above information to help you better.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

how to block programs from communicating with the internet

Window 10 update has blocked some programs access to the internet.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

The programs may not able to access the Internet due to an issue with the Windows Sockets API which is a technical specification that defines how the Windows Network software should access the network services, especially TCP/IP.

Please follow the below steps to perform a Winsock reset:

1. Right click on the Windows icon at the bottom left corner of your screen.
    2. Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    3. Type ‘netsh winsock reset’ and press enter.
    4. Restart the system and check if the programs are able to access the internet.

You can also follow the steps in this
    article
    to fix the network connection issues in Windows.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

how to block programs from communicating with the internet

1. how to block programs from communicating with the internet - Similar Threads - block programs communicating

2. Windows 11 blocks all communications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 blocks all communications: Since yesterday all websites "unexpectedly closed connection", I can not open any web site in any browser and my trading software is not connecting Ninja Trader and Interactive Brokers Trading Station.Windows 11 insider program on the other PC this one here which I use for...
  3. Windows 11 blocks all communications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 blocks all communications: Since yesterday all websites "unexpectedly closed connection", I can not open any web site in any browser and my trading software is not connecting Ninja Trader and Interactive Brokers Trading Station.Windows 11 insider program on the other PC this one here which I use for...
  4. What are the advantages of blocking a suspicious program from accessing the internet and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the advantages of blocking a suspicious program from accessing the internet and...: Is it possible for malware to breach the firewall rule without getting administrator access in Win 10 / Win 11. Using cracked / suspicious/malicious software programs offline will it help prevent spreading infection and getting hacked / data stealing. Suppose after...
  5. What are the advantages of blocking a suspicious program from accessing the internet and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the advantages of blocking a suspicious program from accessing the internet and...: Is it possible for malware to breach the firewall rule without getting administrator access in Win 10 / Win 11. Using cracked / suspicious/malicious software programs offline will it help prevent spreading infection and getting hacked / data stealing. Suppose after...
  6. What are the advantages of blocking a suspicious program from accessing the internet and...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How to block programs in the background?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to block programs in the background?: So I have exceeding greedy software (photoshop and Lightroom) Which tends to monopolise all of my 8gb ram. - (can’t extend any further before you all start!) But I seem to have an insane amount of programs that run in the background I already block certain programs at...
  8. blocked from internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    blocked from internet: Hi My computer updated last night and now microsoft edge has blocked me. HELP as we are a business. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blocked-from-internet/80498c31-05aa-4ad5-81e7-1b0ac1ec543c
  9. Programs not communicating with internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs not communicating with internet: Hello, ive just purchased my first mobile wifi to my home and its speed is reaching good heights and its working perfectly for all my devices but my pc, im using an eternhet cable and im also writing this rn on my pc beacuse its actually working on most websites but my games...
  10. Back to Basics: How to block Windows programs from accessing the internet

in Windows 10 News
    Back to Basics: How to block Windows programs from accessing the internet: Today, in our Windows 10 beginner's guide series, we'll be looking at how to block Windows programs from accessing the internet. Tip: check out some of the previous parts of the series, e.g. on changing default save locations or configuring programs to start on shutdown....