Windows 10: How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder?

Discus and support How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alright the lowdown of this is that "Steam" with their somewhat recent client update now writes literally ~8GB's of useless cached images to a folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Special, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Special Win User

How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder?

Alright the lowdown of this is that "Steam" with their somewhat recent client update now writes literally ~8GB's of useless cached images to a folder located at "\......\Steam\appcache\librarycache".

I'd rather not have my drive space being wasted like this nor do I want to constantly re-download them if I delete them, and simply right-clicking the folder in question, going properties and setting it to Read-only does not work because SteamService.exe just reverts that property.

So I guess next I'll try to deny Steam write permissions via Security tab to that folder, only question I have is from the list of Group / User Names, which one do I choose to set this "deny / write" permission? I'm guessing my own account (which is Admin btw), do I bother with SYSTEM, etc. or can I leave that one and the others be?

Basically these are some newb questions *Redface, I've only ever had to deal with giving myself the proper permissions, not taking them away from something like this SteamService, so I'm still a bit new to this whole process.

How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder? 8s5hRQ2.png

:)

Special, Jan 2, 2020
  2. MT Alex Win User

Deus Ex: HR (Steam)

Go into your steamapps folder, and this is kind of a pain, but find the ACF file for Deus Ex and make sure that the location listed there matches the actual install location. I've had to do this before, which sucks because I have a ton of appmanifest files.

MT Alex, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Smartscreen blocking an EXE

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any option to save password?
    • Which application are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Right click on the shortcut or in File explorer and select Run as administrator check if that helps.
    • Also observe when you type password do you get a prompt for saving password just above Taskbar.

You may also refer the link below and check if that helps.

Smart Screen Filter: FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-smartscreen-filter#ie=ie-11

Hope the issue with smart screen blocking exe will resolved. Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 2, 2020
  4. How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder?

Deus Ex: HR (Steam)

Do any other games work? If no, computer might be infected.

Run <steam>\SteamApps\common\deus ex - human revolution\redist\dx90c\DXSETUP.exe

Run <steam>\SteamApps\common\deus ex - human revolution\redist\vcredist\vcredist_x86.exe

FordGT90Concept, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder?

1. How to block Steam.exe & SteamService.exe from writing to a folder? - Similar Threads - block Steam exe

2. Default blocking of .exe files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  3. Default blocking of .exe files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  4. How to block an application or EXE to open any URL

How to block an application or EXE to open any URL: Hey,I am having an issue using a program. I cant show the name of that. But Whenever I close that program it sends an open link request to my default browser. I want to stop that from happening. Please give some idea of how to stop an app to send open link requests. If there...
  5. How to block an application or EXE to open any URL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to block an application or EXE to open any URL: Hey,I am having an issue using a program. I cant show the name of that. But Whenever I close that program it sends an open link request to my default browser. I want to stop that from happening. Please give some idea of how to stop an app to send open link requests. If there...
  6. Blocked exe file

Blocked exe file: I am sure someone somewhere has a virtual voodoo doll of me. This is the exe file for a game I have had since 2007. It has never happened before. I have scanned the folder with Kaspersky. It says its clean. I have switched off UAC, then switched off the pc, and restarted it,...
  7. UAC Blocking WINRAR exe.

UAC Blocking WINRAR exe.: If I have a RAR file in a Program Files folder and try to unRAR it I get this... [img] The same file in the Downloads folder can be unRAR'd no problem. This started happening around 1 month ago, so something has changed in UAC. I am the only admin on this PC. How do I...
  8. EXE FILE DISSAPEARS FROM FOLDER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EXE FILE DISSAPEARS FROM FOLDER: I'm trying to download the program BenBox for Laser Engraver onto my computer. After installing the program it runs on the install but when I close it and try to reopen it my benbox.exe file disappears from the folder it was in. How do I solve to problem of the disappearing...
  9. Exe blocked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exe blocked.: Hello, I am operating on Microsoft office 2010 but would like to upgrade to Microsoft professional plus office 2013. Unfortunately whenever I try to install I get a message by Windows defender "Unauthorized changes are blocked". What can I do in order to be authorized?...
  10. How to block multiple EXE files Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to block multiple EXE files Windows Firewall: Hello! I want to block a certain application from any access to the internet, either inbound or outbound, so it will never attempt to upgrade. I went in the Advanced Settings in Windows Firewall but I can only block one-by-one the executable files (EXE) and this...