Windows 10: How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation

Discus and support How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A clean installation of Windows 10 or Windows 11 may enable Bitlocker drive encryption automatically. The main system partition and all fixed drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 6, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation

A clean installation of Windows 10 or Windows 11 may enable Bitlocker drive encryption automatically. The main system partition and all fixed drives will be encrypted in this case after the out-of-box experience.

Bitlocker protects data on the PC against unauthorized access by encrypting partitions and drives.

Microsoft calls this specific BitLocker feature device encryption: "Device encryption is a Windows feature that provides a simple way for some devices to enable BitLocker encryption automatically".

Problem is, since the encryption process happens automatically in this case, users may not be aware of it. This can lead to issues, for instance when reinstalling the operating system without saving the Bitlocker recovery key or using a Microsoft account. Access to files is lost in the worst case.

Thankfully, there are ways to block Windows from enabling the automatic encryption of drives during clean installs.

Option 1: during installation

New PCs come with a preinstallation of Windows. This speeds up the setup process, but it also gives users less control.

Step 1: It begins on the country or region selection screen.

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation windows-11-installation.png

Step 2: Open the Registry Editor

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation regedit.png

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Shift-F10 to open a command prompt window.
    2. Type regedit and press the Enter-key.

This opens the Registry Editor.

Step 3: Disable automatic encryption using BitLocker

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation preventdevicencryption.png

1. Use the structure on the left to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker
    2. Right-click on BitLocker and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    3. Name it PreventDeviceEncryption.
    4. Double-click on it and change its value to 1.
    5. Close the Registry Editor.
    6. Close the Command Prompt window.

Continue with the installation.

Option 2: Manipulating an ISO image

It is also possible to modify an ISO image directly. This requires a USB device with at least 16 GB of storage. The Windows installation is copied to the USB device and the PC is booted from the USB device to install Windows.

Here is how this works:

Step 1: Download Rufus

Rufus is a free program to create bootable USB drives. You can download the latest version for Windows from the homepage.

Step 2: Run Rufus

Rufus does not need to be installed. Just double-click on the downloaded executable file to start the app. Make sure you give your okay for online update checks, if you do not have a Windows ISO image already. This allows you to download the ISO using Rufus.

Step 3a: download the ISO using Rufus

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation rufus-download-windows.png

Switch from select to download in the upper half of the interface. Activate Download again to start the process.

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation rufus.png

Select the version of Windows, edition, language and architecture. It may take a while for the download to complete.

Step 3b: select an ISO that is already on your device

Make sure select, and not download, is selected in the Rufus interface. Click on the select button and use the file browser that opens to select the ISO image.

Step 4: Preparing the ISO

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation disable-bitlocker-automatic-device-encryption.png

Select Device at the top to pick a device that you want to copy the Windows installation files to. Note that you cannot pick fixed hard drives.

Once done, activate the start button at the very bottom. Rufus displays the Windows User Experience window.

Make sure Disable BitLocker automatic device encryption is checked. This prevents the automatic encryption of drives using BitLocker during installation of Windows.

Select OK to continue. The program writes the files to the selected USB device.

Bonus Tip: check the BitLocker status

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation bitlocker-status.png

A simple command reveals the status of all drives and partitions in regards to BitLocker encryption. Here is how that works:

1. Open Start.
    2. Type CMD.
    3. Select "run as administrator" while Command Prompt is selected.
    4. Paste manage-bde -status and press the Enter-key.

Check any of the following parameters: BitLocker version, Conversion status, Percentage encrypted, Encryption method, Lock status, Identification field, or Key protectors.

If you see "none, "fully decrypted", "0.0%", "None", "Protection Off", "Unlocked", "None", and "None Found", then the drive is not encrypted using BitLocker.

You can disable the protection by running the command manage-bde –off DRIVELETTER, e.g., manage-bde –off C: from an elevated command prompt.

What about you? Do you use encryption, maybe even BitLocker? (inspiration from Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 6, 2024

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 6, 2024
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 6, 2024
  4. How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation

little cat, May 6, 2024
Thema:

How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation

1. How to block Windows 11 from encrypting drives during installation - Similar Threads - block encrypting drives

2. Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.: We resently Started to install windows 11, on our company computers.Up to now we used a costume Image with autounattend.xml, and bitlocker run on first login without any issues. We created anew Windows 11 costume image, with thesame apps twixesand unattended.xml.Now the...
  3. Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.: We resently Started to install windows 11, on our company computers.Up to now we used a costume Image with autounattend.xml, and bitlocker run on first login without any issues. We created anew Windows 11 costume image, with thesame apps twixesand unattended.xml.Now the...
  4. How to BLOCK MSWin 11 from being installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to BLOCK MSWin 11 from being installed: It looks like, despite Microsoft's lies to the contrary, that MSWin 11 can get installed on compatible machines WITHOUT authorization. I've already seen one machine where it's happened, which NOW runs like **** because of it not that MSWin 10 wasn't already ****. I've...
  5. How to BLOCK MSWin 11 from being installed

How to BLOCK MSWin 11 from being installed: It looks like, despite Microsoft's lies to the contrary, that MSWin 11 can get installed on compatible machines WITHOUT authorization. I've already seen one machine where it's happened, which NOW runs like **** because of it not that MSWin 10 wasn't already ****. I've...
  6. Windows 11 Install turned on Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Install turned on Encryption: I will admit fault for not printing my recovery key, but the recent installation of Windows 11 turned on bitlocker for restart and now I'm locked out of my device. I cannot seem to access the key through any of the methods suggested in this article...
  7. Windows 11 Install turned on Encryption

Windows 11 Install turned on Encryption: I will admit fault for not printing my recovery key, but the recent installation of Windows 11 turned on bitlocker for restart and now I'm locked out of my device. I cannot seem to access the key through any of the methods suggested in this article...
  8. How to block Windows 11 from being installed on your computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to block Windows 11 from being installed on your computer: [IMG]Windows 11 comes with new features and tools to increase your productivity. But if for some reason, you or your business is not ready and do not want to migrate to Windows11, you can block it from being installed on your Windows 10 computer by changing either Registry or...
  9. How to access encrypted Mac drive from Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access encrypted Mac drive from Windows?: Is there any way to access a MAC (HFS+) encrypted drive from Windows? Or even Linux? I know you can access normal Mac drives that are not encrypted with special software/drivers... but I need to access an encrypted one, of which I have the password. Any hope? submitted by...
  10. Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender: I have Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive and it is blocked byWindows Defender. I enter the passcode, then the thumb drive create a different unencrypted drive but then a see a pop-up>>Please insert a disk into USB drive>> - the new drive isinaccessible. When...