Windows 10: How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...

Discus and support How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, I bought a new gaming computer that I want to use for gaming and also use my old drive as a work computer. I have tried to simply select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BADAMB1, Dec 24, 2018.

1. BADAMB1 Win User

How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...

Greetings, I bought a new gaming computer that I want to use for gaming and also use my old drive as a work computer. I have tried to simply select boot priority, but the older drive is not an option in the uefi. I can get the older drive to boot when I set it up under the uefi [advanced] [tools] [boot manager]. I can also set up the new drive the same way, and when I boot up, two boot options appear, but only the first one set up will work.

Is there a way to easily select which drive to boot from with windows? My searches have only come up with partitioning drives, fresh installs, etc...which I don't mind doing on the new gaming drive, but can't do that with the work drive.

Any help is much appreciated.

Here are my computer specs:

Intel Core i7 @ 3.70GHz

RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1332MHz

Motherboard ASRock Z370 Pro4-IB with UEFI

Graphics 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Work Drive with own Win 10 (upgraded from Win 7) and has lots of programs that cannot be replaced, 953GB Hitachi HP SSD S700 Pro 1TB (SATA (SSD). It has already been installed.

New Game drive with fresh Win 10 installed that came with the new gaming computer,

223GB Western Digital WDC WDS240G2G0A-00JH30 (SATA (SSD))

:)

BADAMB1, Dec 24, 2018

2. windows 10 SSD upgrade

Here are the answers:

1. No

2. No, one OS (win 10 education) on the SSD drive

3. When i press f8, i get back to same screen as above.

turabhassan, Dec 24, 2018
  3. PaulRujan Win User
    inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Dear Sumit,

many thanks for the tips. I used long ago to admin my Sun Workstation but never Windows. Your solution looked very promising, especially since I can access the SSD when I boot a similar Win 10 pro from a SATA disk on the same desktop. However, neither when
    booting with the SSD on the first place, nor when I am on the SATA system do I have the rights to perform the operations you suggest. In other words, when booting directly the system I cannot get to the system's cmd environment. The other cmd recovery option
    provides simply an external shell (I guess from memory) allowing me to do some simple operations but NOT accessing the dead system's data. Same, when I am admin on a parallel system running on the SATA disk.

From a security perspective this is reassuring and the whole situation looks like closing the car trunk on your car keys. Nevertheless, I can just start the programs I need (Visual Studio and co) also from the SSD, which is somewhat surprising, so for the
    time being I wait for a solution.

Since the only difference on the running and non-running variant is the type of storage (SATA disk vs M.2 SSD) I would bet that the error is related to the PCH driver (either Samsung, MS, or the MSI motherboard).

Many thanks again for your time,

With best regards,

Paul

PaulRujan, Dec 24, 2018
  4. How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...

windows 10 SSD upgrade

Hi Turab,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you using Dual Boot options?
    • Are you using 2 different operating systems in 2 different drives?
    • What happened when tried to access and perform F8 options?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already...

1. How to boot from 2 different ssd with 2 different Windows 10 operating systems already... - Similar Threads - boot different ssd

2. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  3. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  4. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't install windows 10 on 2 different systems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install windows 10 on 2 different systems: Hey, so I bought a new PC. After building it yesterday I tried installing windows 10 (German). The installation works, then windows restarts the first time installing devices. This works too, but on the next restart it stays stuck on the loading icon. I thought I screwed...
  6. Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am having a little bit of trouble and hoping you guys can help me out. I want to set up a dual boot with two different versions of Windows 10. The first (and primary) would be the 2004 update with my primary C drive, the second would be a flash drive with...
  7. Different BSOD on 2 different Win 10 boot drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different BSOD on 2 different Win 10 boot drives: Custom made my desktop a few weeks ago with 1 nvme and 1 sata hdd. Win 10 installed on both hdd because initially had trouble installing on the nvme. BSOD on the sata drive seem to be caused more by ntoskrnl.exe sata.zip BSOD on the nvme drive seem to be caused more by...
  8. One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger: The goal is to be able to boot from either of the two operating systems from the boot manger but i don't know how to do this do i have to install OS on one then unplug that HDD then install the OS on the other HDD any help and how do i get boot Boot Manger to work right?...
  9. 2 Different Desktops for 2 Different Displays? Virtual Desktops?

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Different Desktops for 2 Different Displays? Virtual Desktops?: hopefully this is the right forum to ask advice regarding this question... scenario: display 1 - 1080p projector display 2 - 22" 1080p monitor pc - nuc outputs x 2 - hdmi and displayport i would like to set up a movie environment on 1 display (projector) and a music...
  10. 2 different operating systems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 different operating systems: I currently have Windows 10 - However, I have WD passport external drives that do not run on 10, Can I download XP without causing problems???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/2-different-operating-systems/a1b4f068-bdc8-4203-ae3a-35c3e6e17f39