Windows 10: How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

Discus and support How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Recently had my motherboard get fried. Margarita Accident Purchased a new Motherboard and installed it. Got everything cleaned and working but now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by seanburlette, May 13, 2020.

1. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

Recently had my motherboard get fried. Margarita Accident

Purchased a new Motherboard and installed it. Got everything cleaned and working but now when I go to launch my BIOS says no bootable device found. A small amount of troubleshooting lead me to believe that this is because my old SDD and HDD were being used on my old Motherboard. Is it possible to activate my license with this new motherboard?

Do I need to purchase a whole new Windows 10 Key?

:)

seanburlette, May 13, 2020

2. Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

My nice new SDD arrived, I installed it into the PC and disconnected the other SATA drives bar the DVD, spun up my W10 DVD and fairly quickly had a new activated install of W10.

Great!

So I plugged in the old SDD (it has the old C: on it) and the HDDs and it booted off the old SDD. *Sad

Unplugged the old SDD, plugged in the new one plus the HDDs, it wouldn't boot.

Went back to just the new SDD installed, boots fine, hot-plugged the HDDs and it wouldn't see them.

Argh! So right now I'm back where I was with the old SDD and the two HDDs which are mirrored.

Oriental Slave, May 13, 2020
  3. Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

The secret isn't in the BIOS, it's to do with the order the SATA disks are plugged into the Ports.

I now have:
    DVD - port 0
    new SDD - port 1
    old SDD - port 2
    HDDs - ports 4 & 5.

It's booting to the new SDD disk, I'm moving stuff from the old SDD disk to folders on the new, will then be able to reformat it and start installing programs. Will have to do the scary 'import foreign disks' thing for the HDD disks.

Oriental Slave, May 13, 2020
  4. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, May 13, 2020
Thema:

How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

1. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard - Similar Threads - boot old SDD

2. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to boot from my old HDD on new build: Hey there,My motherboard finally went out not too long ago, and since it was time for me to upgrade my system anyways, I did an entire new build excluding my old memory and HDD. I have a retail version of WIN10, and when I went to boot UEFI shows "no bootable drives", though...
  3. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot from my old HDD on new build: Hey there,My motherboard finally went out not too long ago, and since it was time for me to upgrade my system anyways, I did an entire new build excluding my old memory and HDD. I have a retail version of WIN10, and when I went to boot UEFI shows "no bootable drives", though...
  4. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?: My name is Christian James Calambro Gmail: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** bought a new motherboard that has no OS but my old motherboard has a OS.I can transfer my old Product ID on my new motherboard Please help me....
  6. how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?

how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?: My name is Christian James Calambro Gmail: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** bought a new motherboard that has no OS but my old motherboard has a OS.I can transfer my old Product ID on my new motherboard Please help me....
  7. How to Make New SDD Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Make New SDD Boot Drive: I'm looking for some help after installing a new SDD. I have a Lenovo S340. It originally had an HDD, and I installed a new SDD to replace it.I went through the process of doing a clean install of Windows 11 -- I thought properly on the SDD.It booted up and operated like a...
  8. How to Make New SDD Boot Drive

How to Make New SDD Boot Drive: I'm looking for some help after installing a new SDD. I have a Lenovo S340. It originally had an HDD, and I installed a new SDD to replace it.I went through the process of doing a clean install of Windows 11 -- I thought properly on the SDD.It booted up and operated like a...
  9. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard: i just upgraded my cpu and mobo and when i try to start it it only brings me to the bios menu and i dont know how to start windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-boot-from-my-old-sdd-on-my-new-motherboard/c488a04d-6ede-4d94-aa27-63e9faf4e18f
  10. Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD: My nice new SDD arrived, I installed it into the PC and disconnected the other SATA drives bar the DVD, spun up my W10 DVD and fairly quickly had a new activated install of W10. Great! So I plugged in the old SDD (it has the old C: on it) and the HDDs and it booted off...