Windows 10: how to Boot into a vhdx file

Discus and support how to Boot into a vhdx file in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi I have created a VHDX file attached it and cloned a copy of widows onto it ( which includes the boot sector)? What I want to do is add this to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mpooley, May 28, 2020.

1. mpooley Win User

how to Boot into a vhdx file

Hi
    I have created a VHDX file attached it and cloned a copy of widows onto it ( which includes the boot sector)?
    What I want to do is add this to my boot menu and see if it works.

I've read lots of tutorials but they mostly concentrate on making the VHDX file.

I am a bit confused I just want to know how to add it to the boot menu.
    I rather use a gui editor like BCedit if I can.

can anyone advise me please?

Thanks

Mike

:)

mpooley, May 28, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Repair HyperV Machine Boot (VHDX)

But then you have two full installs of Windows in the same VM and all you are using the second install of Windows for is a boot menu entry to boot the first install.

It would take less than 5 minutes just to recreate a System partition on the existing vhdx drive.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2020
  3. Repair HyperV Machine Boot (VHDX)

Davichin
    In the morning I feel my suggestions were a bit over-complicated; the easiest way should be:
    - add second vhdx into the same virtual machine
    - install win10 on it using ltsc iso
    - add bootmenu entry for rescued system using easybcd.
    Other steps are unnecessary.

muchomurka, May 29, 2020
  4. how to Boot into a vhdx file

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

I tried to locate my system volume but it wasn't listed. This might be because my hard drive is going bad *Shock

So at this point I'll probably reinstall Windows to another drive.

Is there a way to take my Windows 10 VHDX file and apply it to another drive so that drive will boot?

Note: The VHDX I'm referring to was created using Disk2VHD. Is that all I needed to do to create a bootable VHDX, or were there more steps involved? This is my first time trying this so please forgive my ignorance *Huh

Day Trooper, May 29, 2020
Thema:

how to Boot into a vhdx file

1. how to Boot into a vhdx file - Similar Threads - Boot vhdx file

2. How do I recover files from vhdx?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover files from vhdx?: I am new to the topic of virtual machines so please bare with me.I was playing around with VMs when I accidentally deleted it. I am now left with a backup vhdx file. I tried...1 importing the vhdx into a new VM, but it would not boot properly2 mounting it, but it is giving me...
  3. How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my boot to VHD VHDX to the latest Windows 10 update using this terrific tutorial from @Kari: Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows However, I am having trouble getting the vhdx to boot in Hyper-V. Everything seems to work as...
  4. ISO or VHDX image file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ISO or VHDX image file: I am a iMac User running Sur. To use an app name3d Parallels to run a Windows 10 environment, I need to download a ISO or VHDX image file but cannot find it anywhere. Can you please point me in the nright direction?The message I receive during the Parallels installation is:...
  5. Native booting vhdx file not working

Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  6. Dual boot using vhdx file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot using vhdx file: [ATTACH] Has anyone done this successfully? I'm trying to test this in a VM (VMWare Workstation) following https://win10.guru/native-boot-vhd-dual-boot-made-easy/. Everything seems to go to plan. However on rebooting I get the following:...
  7. Error in mounting VHDX file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error in mounting VHDX file: Hi, I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume [IMG] i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress...
  8. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.: hello everyone, I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version. I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible with a dual boot. I would like to use native boot on vhdx file. I have seen tutorials and I have partially prepared a dos...
  9. Repair HyperV Machine Boot (VHDX)

Repair HyperV Machine Boot (VHDX): Hi everyone. I have a big problem and I'm going crazy. Let's see if someone can help me. I have a virtualized windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 in its HyperV vhdx file, but I have inadvertently deleted the boot partition and now the HyperV does not start the machine. I do not...
  10. How do I open a VHDX file?

How do I open a VHDX file?: Using Windows 10-64 and Windows backup and restore. I want to view a file that must be contained in a recent backup. I see the apparent backup files as vhdx. I right click to mount the virtual HD and get an error message as shown in the screenshot. How do I extract a...