Windows 10: HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP

Discus and support HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Before myriad 'improvements' to Win 10, there used to be a way to change startup options using Task Bar properties. That's no longer there. MSCONFIG... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Toyman., Dec 23, 2020.

1. Toyman. Win User

HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP

Before myriad 'improvements' to Win 10, there used to be a way to change startup options using Task Bar properties. That's no longer there. MSCONFIG and Settings appear to have nothing.

I rarely go to my Desktop unless I'm using an app. It would be highly convenient if the PC would boot to the Start Screen instead of the Desktop, so I can select an app to open.

Any thoughts on how to do that?

Toyman

:)

Toyman., Dec 23, 2020

2. How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Screen instead of desktop?

Windows 10 Boot to Start Screen

When you start your Windows 10 PC, it will automatically boot to the desktop.

Steps to make Windows 10 boot to Start Screen:

Step 1: Go to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen.

Step 2: Turn on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog.

Right-tap any blank area on the taskbar, and choose Properties in the menu.

Step 3: Deselect related setting in the Navigation settings.

Click the Navigation tab, deselect the setting called When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start, and then choose OK.

Later, when you restart or log in your PC, the computer will boot to Start Screen instead of desktop.

Pradeep Trout, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Plantje Win User
    Boot to start screen in Windows 10

The first item on your list is not the case: it will not directly boot me up to my start screen.

The rest of the steps will only disable the need to enter a password or PIN to login. I will still end up in the desktop rather than the start screen...right?

Plantje, Dec 23, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP - Similar Threads - BOOT START SCREEN

2. Windows 10 is not starting instead it starts with windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 is not starting instead it starts with windows 7: I am having a dual boot pc with running windows 7 and windows 10 after defragmentation of operating system hard drive partition windows 10 is not booting and it automatically runs windows 7 but windows 10 is the default operating system but automatically runs windows 7...
  3. Windows 10 will not boot and shows a black screen with cursor instead.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 will not boot and shows a black screen with cursor instead.: This happened to me last night, although I wasnt trying to boot the thing, i was trying to log in after pressing windows= + L and leaving it for a few minutes. When i got back, i was greeted by a black screen. I tried restarting my pc, nothing changed, atill getting a black...
  4. Windows 10 boots to Welcome Screen instead of OOBE

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 boots to Welcome Screen instead of OOBE: [ATTACH]If when you turn on a new Windows 10 device for the first time your device starts on the Welcome Screen, which displays Other user, […] This article Windows 10 boots to Welcome Screen instead of OOBE first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Start screen instead of desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start screen instead of desktop: Is there a setting that will always take me to the Start screen instead of to the Desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-instead-of-desktop/73ea9282-4145-4b64-a110-e099d4468998
  6. How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Menu instead of desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Menu instead of desktop?: this use to be option before but i cant find it anymore in windows 10 i have pro version and nothing , any suggestions i prefer live tiles rather than desktop...
  7. PC boots to BIOS screen instead of windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC boots to BIOS screen instead of windows: My system works very well for a few years but suddenly it cannot boot directly to windows. Here are a few points I've observed that are different then when it works normally:1. Pressing power button takes longer (around 10 seconds longer) for the power LED to light up. It...
  8. Windows 10 booting - blank screen instead of login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 booting - blank screen instead of login screen: HI all, I have a strange windows issue. When I boot up the PC it seems to boot up normally, but when the windows login wallpaper is meant to show. I just get a black screen. No flashing cursor. I am also unable to: RDP - I am prompted to login but after entering...
  9. Black screen instead of desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen instead of desktop: Hi, When I boot my pc sometimes I get a black screen. But by pressing ctr alt & delete I can log out, and then login and its then OK. Can any one please help. I have reset my pc but its still the same. 21458
  10. How to get Windows to display start screen instead of start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Windows to display start screen instead of start menu: On startup, I have it set to display the Start Screen without the Start Menu. When I exit an app the Start Menu is displayed and I have to click the Windows icon to once again display only the Start Screen (tiles only). 17857