Windows 10: How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

Discus and support How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Oskar Olejniczak, Dec 11, 2023.

1. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from the SSD and not the HDD? Because the SSD i order is smaller than the HDD so i can't clone all of the files to the SSD and i just wanted it to boot up my windows faster since it takes a very long time with the HDD and i would download like a game or two on the SSD aswell but do i keep all of the files that i have on my des

:)

Oskar Olejniczak, Dec 11, 2023

2. Automatic repair while booting from hdd and installing windows on ssd.

1. Migrated windows from hdd to ssd
    2. Formatted hdd
    3. Prioritised boot from ssd in bios
    4. Turned on the pc
    5. Automatic repair

To deal with this I select boot from a device > then EFI USB device > it says no bootable USB detected, select from these drives > there are few options including the newly installed ssd > I select ssd > then it shows disk checking, press any key to stop > I stop it > windows then boots from ssd.

It very difficult to repeat all this everytime I turn on my pc. Please suggest a fix.

JagmanjotSingh, Dec 11, 2023
  3. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

(1) It is the EFI partition that holds the boot files including the BCD (Boot Configuration Data). The BCD tells the boot process which Windows partition to boot to. It looks like you set the BIOS correctly to boot using EFI (& its BCD) that is on the SSD. However, that is a clone of EFI on the HDD -- which loads the Windows partition that is on the HDD. You need to alter the SSD's BCD to boot to the Windows partition that is on the SSD. Let's see your BCD...

(a) Type CMD into Search, & click Run as Administrator.

(b) Enter the following commands...

BCDEdit /Enum All <<<Show the BCD

DiskPart <<<Enter DiskPart

List Vol <<<List the Volumes

Select Disk 0 <<<Focus on the HDD

List Part <<<List its partitions

Select Disk 1 <<<Focus on the SSD

List Part <<<List its partitions

Exit <<<Exit DiskPart

Use Ctrl-A & Ctrl-C to copy, then post it to us. We can adjust it manually.

(2) It might be as Paloma suggests, that disconnecting the HDD will cause the BCD (on the SSD) to self-adjust. Windows might do an automatic Startup Repair. But I hope it also gets the Recovery partition right.

(3) I guess you want that D: partition. So, after all is well with the SSD, you may plug the HDD back in. But it will be best to delete its EFI, Windows & Recovery partitions. Just keep D:.

PCR Just PCR, Dec 11, 2023
  4. Neox99 Win User

How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Dec 11, 2023
Thema:

How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

1. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files - Similar Threads - boot SSD keep

2. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  3. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  5. HDD to SSD while keeping files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD to SSD while keeping files: Hello, I want to switch from an HDD to an SSD. My intention is to use the bootable media to install a clean copy of windows on to the SSD, and drag and drop files from the HDD. However, I am concerned about dragging and dropping files from the HDD to the SSD, namely, whether...
  6. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  7. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  8. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot files installing on HDD not SSD: I wanted to make a clean installation of windows and format my ssd but didnt have a cd/usb to use. So I created a 12gb partition on my hdd and put the windows files on it from the ISO. After installation however, windows is installed on the ssd but the same partition I used...
  9. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?: One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now. I've already cloned...
  10. How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?

How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?: I am currently using Acer Swift 3 Windows 10. This laptop has two storages which are SSD and HDD. Every time I download or transfer any files from my pen drives, the files will be saved in SSD. I do not know how to save in HDD. I want to save in HDD because it has larger...