Windows 10: How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds)

Discus and support How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 administrators may enable policies on devices to bypass upgrade blocks that prevent the device from being offered feature updates. Upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 30, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds)

Windows 10 administrators may enable policies on devices to bypass upgrade blocks that prevent the device from being offered feature updates.

Upgrade blocks, or Safeguard holds as Microsoft calls them, are designed to prevent devices from being upgraded to a new version of Windows 10 because of known compatibility issues in that new version.

While it is usually a good idea to keep a device on a previous version until the issues it is affected by are resolved, issues may be minor sometimes for getting work done on the machine. Microsoft recommends disabling the blocks only for testing and validation purposes, as "opting out of a safeguard hold can put devices at risk from known performance issues".

Administrators may also use the Release Preview channel to test and validate upcoming versions of Windows 10.

In any event, disabling Safeguard holds does not guarantee that an update will go through. Issues may prevent successful installations of new feature updates, and removing the blocks will do nothing to resolve these.

How to disable the Safeguard Hold on a Windows 10 machine

How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds) disable-safeguard-holds-for-feature-updates.png

The requirements are a system with at least Windows 10 version 1809 and the October 2020 security update installed on the system.

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-R to open the Run box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and select OK. If you are not signed-in with an administrator account, hold down Ctrl and Shift before you click on OK, and type the administrator password when prompted to do so.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business.
    4. Locate "Disable safeguards for Feature Updates" and double-click on the entry.
    5. Set it to Enabled.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Close the Group Policy Editor.

Here is the description of the policy

Enable this setting when Feature Updates should be deployed to devices without blocking on any safeguard holds. Safeguard holds are known compatibility issues that block the upgrade from being deployed to affected devices until the issue is resolved. Enabling this policy can allow an organization to deploy the Feature Update to devices for testing, or to deploy the Feature Update without blocking on safeguard holds.

How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds) bypass-feature-update-blocks.png

It is furthermore possible to bypass the update block by adding a Dword to the Registry instead.

1. Open the Run box with the shortcut Windows-R.
    2. Type regedit.exe and select ok.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.
      1. If one of the keys does not exist, right-click on the previous one and select New >Key, and name it accordingly.
    5. Right-click on WindowsUpdate and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    6. Name it DisableWUfBSafeguards.
    7. Set its value to 1.
    8. Restart the PC.

Note that the successful installation of a feature update will reset the value automatically, and that it needs to be set again. (via Born)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 30, 2020
  2. TrueRock2 Win User

Windows 10 Update - Safeguard Hold

I have several Windows 10 PCs that have recently been upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. I also have several Windows 10 PCs that are not able to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903. If you go to one of these Windows 10 version 1809 PCs and then go to
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, Check for updates... the response is: "You're up to date" - which is obviously wrong and is a bug in the Windows 10 "Check for updates" process.

I assume one of the more likely causes of this situation is that there is a "Safeguard Hold" on these particular PCs.

How does one determine if a Windows 10 PC has a "Safeguard Hold"?

TrueRock2, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft explains safeguard holds for Windows 10 Feature Updates

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...afeguard-holds

How to Disable Safeguard Holds for Feature Updates on Windows 10

Brink, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. How to bypass Windows 10 Upgrade Blocks (Safeguard holds) - Similar Threads - bypass Upgrade Blocks

2. Rechecking Safeguard Holds for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rechecking Safeguard Holds for Windows Update: I am on Windows 10 had a Windows 11 safeguard hold for a piece of software that I no longer needed that was preventing me from upgrading, so I uninstalled the offending software. I still get the warning about the safeguard hold in Windows Update. Is there a way to re-check...
  3. Rechecking Safeguard Holds for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rechecking Safeguard Holds for Windows Update: I am on Windows 10 had a Windows 11 safeguard hold for a piece of software that I no longer needed that was preventing me from upgrading, so I uninstalled the offending software. I still get the warning about the safeguard hold in Windows Update. Is there a way to re-check...
  4. Rechecking Safeguard Holds for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Update safeguard holds on W10 Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update safeguard holds on W10 Home: Trying to figure out why my laptop hasn't received either 2020 feature update (2004 and 20H2). How do I view safeguard holds for W10 Home? I'm aware of the Update Compliance app that IT administrators can use in an enterprise environment, but is there a comparable utility for...
  6. Safeguards holds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safeguards holds: I'm aware of the Update Compliance utility that IT administrators can use in an enterprise environment, but is there a comparable utility for Home users? submitted by /u/tekguylar [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kvm4ot/safeguards_holds/
  7. How to disable Safeguard Hold for Feature Updates on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Safeguard Hold for Feature Updates on Windows 10: [ATTACH]A Safeguard Hold – also known as a compatibility hold or update block – is […] This article How to disable Safeguard Hold for Feature Updates on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows update won't update, there is a safeguard hold??????

Windows update won't update, there is a safeguard hold??????: My windows won't upgrade. It tells me there is a conflict with a BlueTek Bluetooth Radio driver. But I don't have any BlueTek Bluetooth Radio on my Laptop. But I tried to follow the directions to update the Drivers, and it didn't work because in my Bluetooth device...
  9. windows 10 1903 upgrade block/hold

windows 10 1903 upgrade block/hold: Hi, I've noticed that I got a message about my laptop seems to be in an upgrade hold to windows 10 1903, currently, I'm running windows 10 1803 on my laptop [ATTACH] Does this mean that Windows 10 1903 isn't compatible with my laptop? I heard that it's ready for broad...
  10. Windows 10 Update - Safeguard Hold

Windows 10 Update - Safeguard Hold: I have several Windows 10 PCs that have recently been upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. I also have several Windows 10 PCs that are not able to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903. If you go to one of these Windows 10 version 1809 PCs and then go to Settings, Update &...