Windows 10: How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing"

Discus and support How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I set the valueName "DenyUnspecified"=1 in the Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions", It's same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yxq, Oct 11, 2019.

1. YXQ
    yxq Win User

How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing"

I set the valueName "DenyUnspecified"=1 in the Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions", It's same with the "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" in Group Policy "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Device Installation/Device Installation Restrictions", this settings works well and prevents the new devices to be installed.
    My problem is how to cancel this settings in Registry? After I set "DenyUnspecified"=0 or delete this valuename, the new devices could not be installed yet even restart my PC. If I open Group Policy, click the "enable" for "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings", then click the "Not configured" and click "Apply", the new devices can be installed. Why can not I cancel the settings by setting "DenyUnspecified"=0 or delete this valuename in Registry?

:)

2. Is there anyway i can prevent tethering on win 7?

I did some digging and came across this:

Use Group Policy to prevent the installation of new network devices.

You'll find an option in Administrative Templates \ System \ Device Installation \ Device Installation Restrictions \ Prevent installation of devices using drivers that match these driver setup classes. From its description:

This policy setting allows you to specify a list of device setup class globally unique identifiers (GUIDs) for device drivers that Windows is prevented from installing. This policy setting takes precedence over any other policy setting that allows Windows to install a device.

If you enable this policy setting, Windows is prevented from installing or updating device drivers whose device setup class GUIDs appear in the list you create. If you enable this policy setting on a remote desktop server, the policy setting affects redirection of the specified devices from a remote desktop client to the remote desktop server.​
    Using policy settings here, you can either create a whitelist or a blacklist, either of individual devices or entire classes of devices (such as network adapters). These take effect when a device is removed and reinserted, so it will not affect the NIC built into the machine, provided you don't apply the setting to devices that are already installed.

You will need to reference the list of device setup classes to find the class for network adapters, which is {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. Add this class to the blacklist, and soon afterward, nobody will be able to use USB network adapters.​
    Of course, since he has administrator rights on the machine, there's a chance that he might find your Group Policy setting and delete it. Here's another angle of attack:
    • Get/set the password for the local Administrator account.
    • If he tethers his phone after you've said "no", issue a remote shutdown command to his PC.
      shutdown /s /m \\boneheads_pc
    • Keep doing this until it sinks into his thick head that the house rules apply to him, too.
    This will set you up with a battle of wills. I prefer Kursah's solution of revoking his admin privileges.

Static~Charge, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Windows Installer popup on Windows 10 will not cancel

Hi Brian,

For us to isolate the issue with the Windows Installer pop-up that can't be cancelled, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • When you say "It will not cancel", can you tell us what happens when you try canceling it?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In he meantime, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. It will help us determine if there are any third-party
    programs/apps that is causing the issue. It could be some other applications or programs.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 11, 2019
  4. How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing"

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing"

1. How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing" - Similar Threads - cancel Prevent devices

2. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  3. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  4. How to prevent all application windows from minimizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent all application windows from minimizing: Could someone please offer a solution to a problem with W 10. Applications with 10 windows open will all minimize at the same time, and I can't figure out what is triggering this. It's probably the mouse. However, I have to spend a lot of time getting each window back....
  5. How to prevent apps from communicating with Unpaired Devices

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent apps from communicating with Unpaired Devices: [ATTACH]This article will help you if you want to prevent pre-installed apps from communicating […] This article How to prevent apps from communicating with Unpaired Devices first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. GPO "prevent installation of removable devices"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GPO "prevent installation of removable devices": This GPO is under: computer configuration -> administrative templates -> system -> device installation -> device installation restrictions If i were to enable this GPO, would USB devices that are already installed still work? Its only for new ones? Thanks submitted by...
  7. How to prevent installation of Removable Devices on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent installation of Removable Devices on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 supports installation and use of a variety of Removable devices. This includes plug and plays mouse, keyboard, and other USB based devices. However, this could pose a threat to the integrity of a computer system, and hence, some [...] This post...
  8. How to Prevent from re-install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to Prevent from re-install updates: Hi, I want to uninstall last AU Update (ver. 105) because it takes too long restarting Windows (from 46s to over 1min. 6s), but I believe Windows will at once re-install the Update. How to prevent this? Thank you. 63091
  9. How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?: Hello, I'm a fairly advanced Windows user, but, I'm having difficulty figuring out if there's an in-built way to do this, or if someone out there has already found a registry hack or something to allow it. I have a lot of USB devices, and several computers. Each...
  10. Prevent Win10 from waking device?

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent Win10 from waking device?: Hello, all device i updated to 10 (anniversary edition) wake from sleep by themselves & i'm not sure why. I checked events history but couldn't identify. Certainly related to (windows) update. How do i stop this? Thank you! 60731