Windows 10: How to change a file extension

Discus and support How to change a file extension in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I change a file extension or file type in windows 10?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MartinCastro7, Dec 8, 2018.

1. How to change a file extension

How do I change a file extension or file type in windows 10?

:)

MartinCastro7, Dec 8, 2018

2. File extension *.docx

Hi Randy,

To change the file extension when saving a document in Word 2013, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on File; then, select Options from the list.
    • In the Word Options window, choose Save.
    • Under Save files in this format, select *.doc from the list.
    • Hit OK button to confirm and save the changes.

If ever your Word 2013 application is not recognizing the changes you have made, you may restart the application; however, if the issue still persists, we suggest that you repair it. To do this, see this
    link.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Query about changing the file extension

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the File extension and check if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer.

b: Then click View > options.

c: Then click the View tab.

d: Uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types
    and click apply > ok.

e: Right-click the file you want to change, and then click
    Rename.

f: Delete the file name extension, type the new extension, and then press Enter.

g: Windows will warn you that changing the file name extension might cause the file to stop working properly. If you are certain that the extension you typed will work with the program you're using, click
    Yes to confirm the change.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Martmcd Win User

How to change a file extension

File Extension change

In file explorer, click on the view tab and tick the box 'File name Extensions'

you can then change the extension of your files.

Note . although this works for .m4a to .m4r this is not a method for changing file formats.

Martmcd, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

How to change a file extension

1. How to change a file extension - Similar Threads - change file extension

2. Prevent to changing file's Extension by users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent to changing file's Extension by users: Hi,How can I prevent the file extension from being changed by the user in Domain? I couldn't fined any content about this problem. The suggestion is to deny users access to folder option that they couldn't see the file extension but this isn't good solution because user can...
  3. makop virus has changed the extensions of the files, how to recover the extensions back?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    makop virus has changed the extensions of the files, how to recover the extensions back?: I am not sure there is a solution for this issue or not but the Makop Ransomware has changed the extensions of the files including .mp3, .doc and etc to .mp3.[DD71D4EF].[*** Email address is removed for privacy ***].makop. Is there any way to fix this?...
  4. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  5. How can i change the extensions of a file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i change the extensions of a file?: Hey! I was wondering if we could change the extensions of a file If it's possible. Does anybody knows how to that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-the-extensions-of-a-file/5b2cf55e-2ec4-4879-9960-46397488436d
  6. File Extension Changes

File Extension Changes: My wife tried to open an Excel file she attached to an email before she sent it to make sure it was the right one. That act then proceeded to try to open over 150 files. They were still scrolling across the top when the only thing I could figure out what to do was to sign...
  7. File extension changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File extension changed: how can I recover my files that changed to .mado extension? is there any easy idea my all files are encrypted as .mado . How to decrypt ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-extension-changed/5eb5c4f3-acce-4907-9e10-857faaec0e1c
  8. Change file extension for Notepad ++

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change file extension for Notepad ++: Ran multiple searches and hard to believe this hasn't been covered but ... I need to find 'Change Program' in the list of file extensions under Default Programs>"Associate a file type or protocol". Thank you. P.S. Also if the site's search can't find Notepad ++ (with or...
  9. Remove (not change) file extension association

Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  10. Changing file extension of all files in the folder

Changing file extension of all files in the folder: I don't know how to change extensions of all files in my folder. All files don't have any extension and I dont know how to do it with powershell. How do I change it so all of them have extensions?...