Windows 10: How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard

Discus and support How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. I'm studying Japanese and would like to practice more. I decided to change default language to Japanese. it is easy. However Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Slavian_590, Sep 18, 2018.

1. How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard

Hello.

I'm studying Japanese and would like to practice more. I decided to change default language to Japanese. it is easy. However Windows automatically adds Japanese keyboard which I don't need to use. And it is impossible to delete it because it's marked as default one. When I click ALT+Shift it changes from Russian to English, from English to Japanese, from Japanese to Russian.

How to disable Japanese keyboard and keep using Russian and English keyboards only having Japanese language at the same time?

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise RS4.

P.S. I've already asked this question in another topic but hadn't got a proper answer - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_tray/how-to-change-a-language-but-without-installing-an/d973394d-42ff-41a4-8e34-d9d4526a8bf1

:)

Slavian_590, Sep 18, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Sep 18, 2018
  3. Keyboard language is being changed on Windows 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that the keyboard language is being changed.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps:

Step 1: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver and click on
      Update driver software

Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Step 2: Refer to the below Microsoft article.

Change your language or keyboard

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Try the above troubleshooting steps and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard

Windows 10 "Update" Changed keyboard layout on welcome screen and I can't change it back.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How many keyboard language have you installed?
    If you have installed more than 1 keyboard language in your system, then I suggest you to remove the keyboard language other than default language and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to remove the language.

• Open Control panel.

• Click on language.

• Select the language and click on remove option at the top.

And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard

1. How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard - Similar Threads - change language without

2. How to install a Language Pack without a Keyboard Layout?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a Language Pack without a Keyboard Layout?: Hello dear Microsoft stupid product managers or any other personal inventing new bugs... sorry features.Please can you answer me why keyboard layout is adding automatically when language pack is installed? And WHY I CAN'T DELETE IT? How did you get this stupid idea? If I...
  3. How to install a Language Pack without a Keyboard Layout?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install a Language Pack without a Keyboard Layout?: Hello dear Microsoft stupid product managers or any other personal inventing new bugs... sorry features.Please can you answer me why keyboard layout is adding automatically when language pack is installed? And WHY I CAN'T DELETE IT? How did you get this stupid idea? If I...
  4. Additional languages added without reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    Additional languages added without reason: Hi, I'm always using EN-NZ language and United States-International keyboard layout for all my computers. [ATTACH] In one of my computers I have a weird issue: For some reason I can't identify and from time to time, "something" adds EN-US language, both with US and...
  5. date formatting without installing additional language pack

date formatting without installing additional language pack: Hi, I have following problem: 1. I need both US keyboard and Czech keyboard 2. I prefer date formatting dd/MM/yyyy UK format When I install US and Czech language pack I can't choose dd/MM/yyyy date format. When I want this date format I must install UK language pack and...
  6. Keyboard keeps changing without any shortcuts or languages instaled

Keyboard keeps changing without any shortcuts or languages instaled: This is just so ridiculous, i disabled all shortcuts, i deleted all keyboards, i only have one language and one keyboard instaled and STILL HAPENS; the windows change when it wants, i cant change it back no matter what i do, i selected the option to show the language bar, and...
  7. Can't install additional language

Can't install additional language: Hello there. I'm using a surface book 2 with Window 10. I have trouble installing additional language. It cannot add Basic Typing, Supplemental Fonts, handwriting, speech recognition, optional character recognition. I just need Basic typing to be able to type, but once...
  8. Adding language to keyboard without changing the computers language

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding language to keyboard without changing the computers language: I'm trying to add korean language to my keyboard layout but everytime I try to set up the language of my computer change too. I just want to type in korean language. thank you...
  9. Additional language keyboard

Additional language keyboard: I need some help on an additional language and keyboard. I'm using an HP touch screen laptop that has a detachable keyboard (English only). I just upgraded to Win 10 and have most everything I need set-up. Still a learning process from Win 7 (phew). I have installed a 2nd...
  10. How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard.

How to change a language but without installing an additional keyboard.: Hello. I'm studying Japanese and would like to practice more. I decided to change default language to Japanese. it is easy. However Windows automatically adds Japanese keyboard which I don't need to use. And it is impossible to delete it because it's marked as default one....