Windows 10: How to change admin user account name?

Discus and support How to change admin user account name? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am installing the 'Android sdk' software, however when I try select the 'SDK' path, it says something like 'android sdk should not contain... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by C0zzie, Aug 30, 2017.

1. C0zzie Win User

How to change admin user account name?

I am installing the 'Android sdk' software, however when I try select the 'SDK' path, it says something like 'android sdk should not contain whitespace'.
    I am wondering how I would change my name so it has no space so I can get my issue fixed

:)

C0zzie, Aug 30, 2017

2. want to change from user account to admin account

I had changed my setting from admin to user account.Now,I can't able to change it again from user to admin .It is showing that enter the admin name and password but where I have to write this user name and password.Even cmd as admin also not working.I
    tried so many things.Tell me how will I get the admin access

How to change admin user account name? [​IMG]
    n access again.

ksharad_093, Aug 30, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    want to change from user account to admin account

Some minor points to avoid any confusion in terms later on -

1 "from admin to user account" - No, you changed an Admin user account to a Standard user account. They are both types of user account.

2 Only Admin user accounts can create new user accounts.

3 Only Admin user accounts can "elevate" a Standard user account to be an Admin user account.

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello C0zzie, *Smile

Is this for your user profile folder name instead?

For example: "C:\Users\<user name>"

Brink, Aug 30, 2017
  5. C0zzie Win User
    ah yes thats what I meant. Sorry if mentioned the wrong thing

I spoke to Microsoft support and they mentioned, which I also read up on, that you cant really change the user account name... or if you can , it will make some things corrupt/confusing for your PC. But they way they did it for me is;

They just made me a new user account, I game it a one word name this time, they 'transferred' the files form my previous account to the new one, and connected the new account with my Microsoft account, and then deleted the old one...if that makes sense.

Basically I got my issue fixed, as Android SDK was working now

C0zzie, Aug 30, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 30, 2017
  7. C0zzie Win User
    Ah ye I was looking at that as well. Even the MS tech said to me, 'I saw you loooking at the tutorial already'.
    However he did it a different way, and not sure if you know the way the MS tech did it for me, but is it same type of method as this tutorial?

C0zzie, Aug 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

The MS tech used a different method than what's in the tutorial.

The tutorial allows you to rename the profile folder without having to create a new account to use instead of the current account. This way you don't have to worry about transferring files to a new account.

Either way gets the job done though. *Smile

Brink, Aug 30, 2017
  9. C0zzie Win User
    oh ok I understand.

I also read through the tutorial and it seems simple, just that, the last image shows two 'Brinl' folders.

'Brink' and 'Brink2' <this was the edited one

Where did the 'Brink' some from? And can you delete it?

C0zzie, Aug 30, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The "" and "2" profile folders was for two separate accounts.

The tutorial was only for renaming "2.-W10PC" to "2" as an example.

Brink, Aug 31, 2017
  11. C0zzie Win User
    Ah so just ignore the 'Brink' and use the 'Brink2' as the example

And step 1 and 2, I was confused at that part also.
    For example, my user account is called for e.g 'wizzle'
    If I want to change the name to 'wizzle2', and by following steps 1 and 2;
    -I sign out of my MS account (step 1)...and then sign in?

I understand the steps 3 onwards but steps 1 and 2 with the sign out/in was confusing :?

C0zzie, Aug 31, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. Ignore "".

Basically, you would need to sign out of the account you want to change the name of its profile folder, and sign in to any other administrator account on the PC to make the changes.

Brink, Aug 31, 2017
  13. C0zzie Win User

ah so main admin account is 'wizzle' which is what I am currently on
    I make another account called 'wizzle2' (with admin rights)
    I sign out of 'wizzle' and sign into 'wizzle2'.
    And once signed into 'wizzle2', then I do the command prompt step and find the SID for 'wizzle' that is listed and go from there?

C0zzie, Aug 31, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Personally, I would enable and sign in to the built-in Administrator account, and use it to change the profile folder for your "wizzle" account.

Brink, Aug 31, 2017
  15. C0zzie Win User
    oh so I dont need to sign out anymore? My current admin account is 'wizzle'. I press cmd and go from there?

C0zzie, Aug 31, 2017
Thema:

1. How to change admin user account name? - Similar Threads - change admin user

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  5. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  6. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't change user folder name from Admin account.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change user folder name from Admin account.: I am trying to change my user folder name which I can see in terminal / command prompt on windows. User name has been successfully change. only the actual folder rename is not happening. did changed the Profile Image Path but then, when I try to login, I am asked to lockout...
  8. change admin user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    change admin user name: how do i change my admin user name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-admin-user-name/885ba043-3624-4cd3-a6ce-ca4611f14424
  9. How to change admin user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change admin user name: I have given a temporary name to the admin user during the setup of Windows 10 to a new PC. Now, I want to change this user name. In settings, I was not able too find a way for the admin name. How to change the name of this admin user?...
  10. How to change Account Name and User Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change Account Name and User Name?: I am the sole user of my pc. Under Settings/Accounts my name is:- John Smith my email address Administrator Q1 How do I change this to just:- Pete Administator? Under This PC I have drives C, F and G In C the user is called John In F user called Pete In G...