Windows 10: How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive

Discus and support How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My boot drive is C.I have a 2nd drive, which used to be assigned the letter "E" but since my re-installation of Windows, this slave drive is now "F."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VWP1, May 13, 2021.

1. VWP1 Win User

How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive

My boot drive is C.I have a 2nd drive, which used to be assigned the letter "E" but since my re-installation of Windows, this slave drive is now "F." When I went into settings and I found how to change it to "E" again, there was a dropdown list of letters to choose, but there was no "E." Also, my blu-ray drive used to be assigned the "D" letter, but is "G" now. I'd like to get my BR drive back to "D" and my slave hard drive re-assigned to its older letter..."E."Please help.

:)

2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 13, 2021
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?

GregCowling, May 13, 2021
  4. How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive

Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Hello Sjoerd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason the drive letters are not available to assign are because they might have been assigned to devices which are removed or hidden. I suggest you to check for any hidden devices and remove them to assign the missing drive letters.

Follow the steps mentioned below to check for the hidden or removed devices.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Click on the view tab at the top left hand corner.
    4. Now select View hidden devices.
    5. Now look for the hidden devices under storage volumes and
      portable devices.
    6. Right click on the hidden devices and click on
      uninstall
    7. Restart the PC.

After restarting the PC, try assigning the drive letter to the unallocated drive and check if the drive letters D, E, F, G, and H appears.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 13, 2021
Thema:

How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive

1. How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive - Similar Threads - change assigned Drive

2. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  5. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  6. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  8. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  9. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...
  10. Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the...