Windows 10: How to change an external drive name?

Discus and support How to change an external drive name? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have multiple Western Digital external USB drives. Windows shows them as: "WD My Book 1230 USB Device" I mean this way: [img] Sizes are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tfwul, Nov 23, 2019.

1. tfwul Win User

How to change an external drive name?

I have multiple Western Digital external USB drives. Windows shows them as:
    "WD My Book 1230 USB Device"

I mean this way:

How to change an external drive name? [​IMG]

Sizes are different though, e.g. 4TB 6TB. Within Windows Explorer, it is all clear, the drives have different names.

When connecting the drives to a VM version of Windows, the drive names are shown as above and I have no idea which one to select in order to get either a 4TB or 6TB drive.

Not sure but probably this is firmware related(?)
    i.e. there is no way to update the name (replace 'Device' with e.g. 4TB)

Any suggestions?

The only workaround I know is to just power off all external drives, except the one I wish to connect to VM.

Thanks.
    (10 x64 1909)

:)

tfwul, Nov 23, 2019

2. External drives not accepting changes to names

Hi Steve,

You can try changing the driver names through Disk Management. To access disk management, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key and type, "manage".
    • Right-click on Computer Management and choose to Run as Administrator.
    • On the left pane, click on Disk Management. Here, you may change the names of the external drives.

Also, try revealing hidden files folders and delete the Autorun.inf folder. You will also need administrator rights to delete them. Once they're deleted, restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jairit Bet, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 23, 2019
  4. How to change an external drive name?

Naming external drives

Wiindows uses the following strategy when assigning a drive letter to an external mass storage devices:

• If the device has not previously been connected: Use the lowest available drive letter.
    • If the device has been previously connected:

- If the previously used drive letter is currently available, use it.

- If the previously used drive letter is not available, use the lowest available driver letter.
    If your drive letters keep changing then you could use one of these solutions:

• Use high drive letters (e.g. R: and SHow to change an external drive name? :) to minimise the risk of the letters getting used by a different device.
    • Use a script to force the desired drive letters.

Frederik Long, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

How to change an external drive name?

1. How to change an external drive name? - Similar Threads - change external drive

2. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  3. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  4. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External drive name changed to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive name changed to boot.: My external drive name recently changed to boot and I lost all of my files on it, I now cannot reinstall said files on my C drive. I deleted the files within the drive and nothing changed, the storage space also changed from 1TB to 252MB....
  6. How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives: Up front: I know how to update the "Friendly Name" of devices. A good tutorial can be found on: TUTORIAL: How to change device names in Device Manager | Windows 8 Help Forums When running VMware Workstation and connecting an external USB Drive from host, VMware displays the...
  7. Naming external drives

Naming external drives: I am having problems with naming external drives. I have two. When I tried to rename them G and F, it worked sort of but now the names are (G:)(F:) and (F:)(G:). Because of this many of my shortcuts do not work. When I add the drives to another lap top they are G: and F:...
  8. changing number or name of external hard drives

changing number or name of external hard drives: I have about 6 external hard drives and I want to change their designation, like A. B. C or 1, 2, 3, but windows puts it's own designation on each one, and as a result, some have the same letter....
  9. How to change C drive User Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change C drive User Name?: I am the only user of my pc, and I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete. I have drives C and F In C the user is called John In F user called Pete Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc...
  10. Thumb drive name change

Thumb drive name change: Thumb drive windows 10 will only let me use 11 characters in the name 20321