Windows 10: how to change app icons on taskbar

Discus and support how to change app icons on taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So i have changed my application icons on my desktop, how can i apply those to my icons on my taskbar?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CompromiseSS, Feb 25, 2021.

1. how to change app icons on taskbar

So i have changed my application icons on my desktop, how can i apply those to my icons on my taskbar?

:)

CompromiseSS, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 25, 2021
  3. I changed my taskbar icons and now I don't know how to change them back to their default icon...

Hi AZ,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you would like to change the app icons on the taskbar to default.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 currently installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you referring the default Windows 10 app icon on taskbar?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to get the default icons.

1. Right Click on the icons in the taskbar and click on Unpin from taskbar.
    2. Now press Windows + I key to launch Settings.
    3. Click on Personalization and select Themes from the left pane.
    4. Click on Desktop icon settings from the right pane.
    5. Click on Restore Default and click OK.
    6. Now click on the Search box and type the app you want to pin to taskbar.
    7. Right click on the app and select Pin to Taskbar.
    8. Now check if you have the default icons.

Please help us with the screenshot of the Taskbar (Press Windows + R key and type msinfo32, click OK) for further investigation. (Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot posted
    by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Let us know the results. We will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 25, 2021
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

how to change app icons on taskbar

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thema:

how to change app icons on taskbar

1. how to change app icons on taskbar - Similar Threads - change app icons

2. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  3. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  4. Cannot Change App Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change App Icon in Taskbar: Can someone please show me/tell me how to change icon because I want to give my desktop a consistent look https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-change-app-icon-in-taskbar/96162aa1-9e2a-4155-a29e-b8e408979563
  5. Cannot Change App Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Change App Icon in Taskbar: Can someone please show me/tell me how to change icon because I want to give my desktop a consistent look https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-change-app-icon-in-taskbar/96162aa1-9e2a-4155-a29e-b8e408979563
  6. Cannot Change App Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Taskbar icons not changing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not changing.: Over a year ago I downloaded some icons for my taskbar. I had to download the icons, and then change the icon through windows, and then run the Reset Icon Cache tweak in Winaero Tweaker to actually get the icons to change. However, I decided to finally change it up, and now...
  8. Is there a way to change app icons on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change app icons on the taskbar?: [IMG] As you can see I have customised my taskbar's program icons so that they look neat and tidy. I am unable to change the icons for programs which are classed as 'apps' by Windows however. I have scoured Google and tried everything I can think of but I can't figure it...
  9. How Change the Icon of an App?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Change the Icon of an App?: When I moved from Win 7 to Win 8, all the icons of my picture files e.g. GIFs, bitmaps, JPGs changed from a red color said to be for "Microsoft Office Picture" to a blue color apparently for an app called "Photos". This makes my life difficult since I have lost a major color...
  10. Changing taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing taskbar icons?: hey everyone new to this forum and windows in general (i come from a mac and than linux background). I was wondering if its possible to change somehow the firefox and spotify icons to match those of the default windows task bar icons so it looks more uniform? in linux...